Tennessee is the 15th best job in the country (ESPN)

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
This is looking at the Power 5 level

In tier 3: The Comebacks - Traditional powers that are working to resurface, or get over a hump.

15. Tennessee
After a putrid, embarrassing decade, characterized by instability from the president's office on down, Tennessee appears to again be moving in the right direction. The school is on its sixth president since 1999, but at least Joe DiPietro has been in office for four years (and counting). To a lesser extent, the athletic director and football coaching positions had become a turnstile. After another rocky transition for Rocky Top, AD Dave Hart and coach Butch Jones seem to finally have everything steadied. Jones was not Hart's first choice, but he has exceeded expectation as a program- and morale-builder. His consistent air of positivity was absolutely what the moribund program needed. Related: The on-field product is trending upward. Jones and his staff just completed their second consecutive top-five recruiting class, no small feat for a program that cannot rely on in-state talent.

So a coach walking in the door tomorrow would be greeted with a lot sunnier forecast than what met Jones. Additionally, the school's facilities are literally unrecognizable from a decade ago. A much-needed revamp of dilapidated Neyland Stadium kick-started a push that has since included an overhaul of the team's practice and training facilities, offices and meeting rooms. Peyton Manning's lounge, which houses memorabilia and overlooks the practice fields, just might be the coolest hangout in college football. A new residence hall geared for athletes is on the way, as well. Everything is again set up for success. Can Tennessee again climb toward the top 10? And if it reaches that point, can it stay? Or is it just too difficult for a program that has to recruit nationally?

SEC
2. Bama
5. Florida
6. LSU
8. Georgia
11. Texas A&M
13. Auburn
15. Tennessee
19. South Carolina
22. Arkansas
32. Ole Miss
34. Mississippi State
34. Missouri
45. Kentucky
59. Vanderbilt

that sh__ based on wins. who want to work in alabama were the have 2 teeth and married to your sister. who want to work as Lsu were you can't understand what they are saying.

Reactions: 1 person
that sh__ based on wins. who want to work in alabama were the have 2 teeth and married to your sister. who want to work as Lsu were you can't understand what they are saying.

Yeah, who wants to work at a place where they will do whatever it takes without hesitation to insure success? I would also absolutely hate working somewhere that paid handsomely for bringing success.

Reactions: 2 people
"Can Tennessee again climb toward the top 10? And if it reaches that point, can it stay? Or is it just too difficult for a program that has to recruit nationally"

Tennessee doesn't have to recruit nationally, it does so when it wants to for the right player. A program that has to recruit regionally would be a better description and would be true for all but a few teams including Alabama.

"Can Tennessee again climb toward the top 10? And if it reaches that point, can it stay? Or is it just too difficult for a program that has to recruit nationally"

Tennessee doesn't have to recruit nationally, it does so when it wants to for the right player. A program that has to recruit regionally would be a better description and would be true for all but a few teams including Alabama.

I disagree. Tennessee absolutely has to recruit nationally to be able to compete for national championships.

Reactions: 6 people
Its about right for where we stand as a program right now. If Butch takes us to winning 10+ games every year and also winning meaningful games that'll get us back in the top 10 and rightfully so.

A link and or the rest of the list would be helpful.

Edit: I see it's an insider article so preferably just the rest of the list. :hi:

Now that I think about it a while, I may be wrong. No other program and fan base will support a coach and throw money at mediocrity like Tennessee. So, there is something to be said for the lack of real pressure to show real success. Not to mention, you could work minimal improvement into a pay raise and contract extension here. This pretty much takes all pressure off and insures that you are set financially even if you fail.
Yep, I was wrong. If I am a football coach, Tennessee is a top-five job.

This.

The writer has obviously not been paying attention to the state's improvement, especially in the Nashville area, which is exploding in population growth, as is Chattanooga. Add in a 5 hour radius of Knoxville as its primary recruiting focus and the roster is well taken care of providing the right coaching staff is employed. They are. The past decade prior to his arrival was a dumpster fire, no arguments there.

I disagree. Tennessee absolutely has to recruit nationally to be able to compete for national championships.

First of all, if we start completely holding Tennessee and getting our share of the best players out of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Kentucky (such as they are in KY), then steal a two or three from north Georgia each year we'll be more than fine.

But even if you're correct and we have to recruit "nationally," it'snot like we're the only team in that boat. So do Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, Michigan, and Ohio State. There are a few schools that definitely have inherent recruiting advantages. And we're not one of those. But it is a myth that Tennessee is one of the hardest schools in the country to recruit.

Unless you're from Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California, you've got to recruit nationally.

Reactions: 2 people
First of all, if we start completely holding Tennessee and getting our share of the best players out of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Kentucky (such as they are in KY), then steal a two or three from north Georgia each year we'll be more than fine.

But even if you're correct and we have to recruit "nationally," it'snot like we're the only team in that boat. So do Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, Michigan, and Ohio State. There are a few schools that definitely have inherent recruiting advantages. And we're not one of those. But it is a myth that Tennessee is one of the hardest schools in the country to recruit.

Unless you're from Texas, Florida, Georgia, or California, you've got to recruit nationally.

You sort of made my point.
If we want to compete on a national level, we need to recruit on that level.

I want to agree with you because the facilities are awesome, have a huge stadium and are one of the winningest programs of all time. With that being said, Tennessee also usually ranks near the top, if not #1 in recruiting budget. Would Tennessee recruit as well if they didn't spend so much doing it? Might make it a lot harder for similar schools to Tennessee with a lower recruiting budget that aren't a top destination geographically. The recruiting budget could be the only thing bridging the gap between easy to recruit to and hard to recruit to. I tend to believe recruiting budget is a big factor based on the results I see in Tennessee recruiting. I get the feeling that Clemson is another school with a massive recruiting budget and that schools like Clemson/Tennessee would be on the edge of top 25 or worse if they didn't spend as much as they do on recruiting.

I think some of you are confusing "can't be done" with "more difficult".

It is more difficult to recruit at Tennessee than it is a school with a bigger in-state recruiting base. It just is.

It's easier for to convince a kid (or more likely, his mother) to keep a kid in state than to leave the state. In a lot of cases, that's even true with regard to the out of state school being a closer drive than the in-state school. There are many parts of Georgia that are closer to FSU, AL, Auburn, UF, SC, and Tennessee than UGA, but there's still tremendous pull to stay in state.

It's just the way it is. Doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just harder.

In addition....what's good for the goose....

How long has Tennessee had problems locking down West Tennessee? What's to keep an Ohio State, Georgia, or whoever from coming into Tennessee and stealing some of the few recruiting treasures in the state.

It's a built in advantage to have accesss to a larger pool of home grown talent.

Last edited:

It is more difficult to recruit at Tennessee than it is a school with a bigger in-state recruiting base. It just is.

It's easier for to convince a kid (or more likely, his mother) to keep a kid in state than to leave the state. In a lot of cases, that's even true with regard to the out of state school being a closer drive than the in-state school. There are many parts of Georgia that are closer to FSU, AL, Auburn, UF, SC, and Tennessee than UGA, but there's still tremendous pull to stay in state.

In addition....what's good for the goose....

How long has Tennessee had problems locking down West Tennessee? What's to keep an Ohio State, Georgia, or whoever from coming into Tennessee and stealing some of the few recruiting treasures in the state.

It's a built in advantage to have accesss to a larger pool of home grown talent.

Stop bringing logic and sensibility into this thread.
Thanks.

You're right. The one good thing is we are central enough in the southeast where we can go a number of directions to get enough talented players to fill in the gaps. Outside the state, between VA, the Carolina's and GA, have a pretty good base within-4 hours of Knoxville.

Tennessee is a place where if a coach will put in work, like Butch has done, and Dooley didn't do, you can consistently bring in top 10 classes. We play in the best conference in America. We have as good as facilities as anyone, there's no excuse. But the biggest recruiter of all is winning. And if Butch doesn't start winning on a bigger stage the recruiting will get much more difficult.

Now that I think about it a while, I may be wrong. No other program and fan base will support a coach and throw money at mediocrity like Tennessee. So, there is something to be said for the lack of real pressure to show real success. Not to mention, you could work minimal improvement into a pay raise and contract extension here. This pretty much takes all pressure off and insures that you are set financially even if you fail.
Yep, I was wrong. If I am a football coach, Tennessee is a top-five job.

But hart n cheek r so great for this model.. Be avg n make money..who needs championship.. Lol

Tell that to the numerous great coaches who were lining up to take the job.

I think it's just that way with almost everywhere now though. I never would have put horseface at UF, I thought they would land a better coach. Michigan is the one exception that got their man but it took them a long time to do that. Heck even Bama basically lucked into Saban, they were trying to get Rich Rod.

UT athletic dept has made so many mistakes regarding coaching hires....so many.....unlike a few other SEC schools....it's been a hard 7-8 years to watch

VN Store

Back