When was the last Tennessee football game played in the snow?

bhouston79

So I am watching the snow continue to fall, and it just occurred to me that I don't believe I have ever witnessed a Tennessee football game played in a snow storm. I've witnessed many games played in rain storms (two of my favorite are the 1989 TN - AU game and the 1992 TN - FL game), but I don't recall seeing us play in a snow storm. I know that the season ends in late November/early December and that most bowl games are played in warm weather cities. But I have witnessed a few High School games played in the snow, including one that my brother played in when he played for Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN) in a game against Central High School (Blountville, TN) where the snow was coming down hard in the late 80s. But I don't remember watching any Tennessee snow games. Do any of you recall a Tennessee snow game, perhaps prior to the late 80s/early 90s when I started keeping up with Tennessee football? If so, please post below.

Been some Ky and vandy games where it was snowing, and I recall Tennesse and Ky played in the snow in the 50s, with snow on the field.. I was at the Tennessee ND game in South Bend in 92 (Vols Won) and it had snowed up there off and on all week. Field was clear but rock hard frozen, but there was a 3/4"layer of Ice and snow in the rows and I thought my feet were frozen after 4 hours on ice..

The 1950 Kentucky game in Neyland was played in snow i believe

You are talking about the most historically significantly game in the series’ history and almost certainly the only one in which both teams were ranked in the top 10 prior to its outset. Then undefeated, the 1950 Kentucky team was Bear Bryant’s best while he was coach of the blue-bellied boys. They ultimately finished 11-1, 7th in the AP poll and “defeated undefeated and #1 ranked Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.” Prior to the game, Kentucky was #3 and we were 9th. Tennessee prevailed 7-0 and finished 4th and 3rd, respectively, in the final AP and UPI polls. Under the current format, UT would have unquestionably won the national title since Kentucky beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and we beat 3rd-ranked Texas (2nd in the UPI) 20-14 in the Cotton Bowl. A development even more frustrating to our cause is the fact that the final poll rankings for that year were released November 27th, even before the regular season had concluded. Army, which finished 2nd in the AP poll, lost to unranked Navy 14-2.

The game was played on November 25th and the storm went down in history as the “Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950” (see Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I have not been able to determine the actual snowfall amount associated with this storm but it established a record low of 5 degrees for Knoxville on November 25th, which also was the coldest day of that calendar year.

According to this report (TENNESSEE AND KENTUCKY IN 1950 - The Vol Historian), “A crowd of 46,000 showed up for the contest [despite the weather conditions]. Once workers got the tarp off the field, and that took a while, the playing surface was in reasonable condition. The temperature was at 10 degrees. Tennessee, dressed in orange against Kentucky in blue, won the game 7-0 in its way to an 11-1 season, a Cotton Bowl win over Texas, and a share of the national championship. The Vols scored 355, gave up 71 to 12 opponents, and continued a string where the Wildcats, quarterbacked by Vito “Babe” Parilli, didn’t score on the Vols in the years from 1949-51. . . . Tennessee got the game’s only score in the second quarter at the northeast corner, a 28-yard toss from Hank Lauricella to Bert Rechichar. . . . It was a tough game, with 17 fumbles, nine by Kentucky and eight by Tennessee.”

Incidentally, according to this article (John Shearer: The Tennessee/Kentucky Rivalry Dates Back To 1950 - Chattanoogan.com), Knoxville received heavy snowfalls before BOTH the 1950 and 1952 Kentucky games. With respect to the 1950 game previously discussed, "An unusual-for-November six-inch snowfall took place, and temperatures would fall to 18 degrees by game time. Such weather in Knoxville was not unusual between about Christmas and late February, but it certainly was in late November."

The 1952 storm apparently hit Knoxville much harder. "The snow in 1952 was a record 18.2 inches in 25 hours. The previous high recorded was 15.1 inches way back in 1886. Some 20,000 homes in the Knoxville area were without power, and telephone, rail, airline and public bus service were also crippled. . . . By game time, some 35,000 brave fans had arrived. . . . Compared to the 1950 game, the field in 1952 was considered a little wetter and more slippery. A tarp had nicely protected the field in 1950, but after 18 inches of a wet snow in 1952, it managed to seep through the tarp."

That game ended in a 14-14 tie.

According to an article published in the November 1952 issue of the MONTHLY WEATHER REVIEW (see docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/080/mwr-080-11-0227.pdf), "The total precipitation for the period November 19-22, 1952, for some selected stations is shown in table 1. Knoxville, Tenn., received 18.2 inches of wet snow within a 24-hour period establishing a new record for any 24-hour period within the past 69 years."

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
You are talking about the most historically significantly game in the series’ history and almost certainly the only one in which both teams were ranked in the top 10 prior to its outset. Then undefeated, the 1950 Kentucky team was Bear Bryant’s best while he was coach of the blue-bellied boys. They ultimately finished 11-1, 7th in the AP poll and “defeated undefeated and #1 ranked Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.” Prior to the game, Kentucky was #3 and we were 9th. Tennessee prevailed 7-0 and finished 4th and 3rd, respectively, in the final AP and UPI polls. Under the current format, UT would have unquestionably won the national title since Kentucky beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl and we beat 3rd-ranked Texas (2nd in the UPI) 20-14 in the Cotton Bowl. A development even more frustrating to our cause is the fact that the final poll rankings for that year were released November 27th, even before the regular season had concluded. Army, which finished 2nd in the AP poll, lost to unranked Navy 14-2.

The game was played on November 25th and the storm went down in history as the “Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950” (see Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I have not been able to determine the actual snowfall amount associated with this storm but it established a record low of 5 degrees for Knoxville on November 25th, which also was the coldest day of that calendar year.

According to this report (TENNESSEE AND KENTUCKY IN 1950 - The Vol Historian), “A crowd of 46,000 showed up for the contest [despite the weather conditions]. Once workers got the tarp off the field, and that took a while, the playing surface was in reasonable condition. The temperature was at 10 degrees. Tennessee, dressed in orange against Kentucky in blue, won the game 7-0 in its way to an 11-1 season, a Cotton Bowl win over Texas, and a share of the national championship. The Vols scored 355, gave up 71 to 12 opponents, and continued a string where the Wildcats, quarterbacked by Vito “Babe” Parilli, didn’t score on the Vols in the years from 1949-51. . . . Tennessee got the game’s only score in the second quarter at the northeast corner, a 28-yard toss from Hank Lauricella to Bert Rechichar. . . . It was a tough game, with 17 fumbles, nine by Kentucky and eight by Tennessee.”

According to this article (John Shearer: The Tennessee/Kentucky Rivalry Dates Back To 1950 - 11/21/2012 - Chattanoogan.com), Knoxville received heavy snowfalls before BOTH the 1950 and 1952 Kentucky games. With respect to the 1950 game previously discussed, "An unusual-for-November six-inch snowfall took place, and temperatures would fall to 18 degrees by game time. Such weather in Knoxville was not unusual between about Christmas and late February, but it certainly was in late November."

The 1952 storm apparently hit Knoxville much harder. "The snow in 1952 was a record 18.2 inches in 25 hours. The previous high recorded was 15.1 inches way back in 1886. Some 20,000 homes in the Knoxville area were without power, and telephone, rail, airline and public bus service were also crippled. . . . By game time, some 35,000 brave fans had arrived. . . . Compared to the 1950 game, the field in 1952 was considered a little wetter and more slippery. A tarp had nicely protected the field in 1950, but after 18 inches of a wet snow in 1952, it managed to seep through the tarp."

That game ended in a 14-14 tie.

According to an article published in the November 1952 issue of the MONTHLY WEATHER REVIEW (see http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/...80-11-0227.pdf), "The total precipitation for the period November 19-22, 1952, for some selected stations is shown in table 1. Knoxville, Tenn., received 18.2 inches of wet snow within a 24-hour period establishing a new record for any 24-hour period within the past 69 years."

The 1928-1929 Tennessee Kentucky games were significant as well. Two straight ties (0-0 and 6-6)cost Tennessee two straight possible Rose Bowls.

The 1928-1929 Tennessee Kentucky games were significant as well. Two straight ties (0-0 and 6-6)cost Tennessee two straight possible Rose Bowls.

Yes. I seem to have misplaced my citation for this article, but the 1929 Kentucky game "was played in bitterly cold temperatures [at Lexington] during a blinding snowstorm." That game finished with a 6-6 tie. I recall a videotaped interview with, I believe, Hugh Faust, who stated that, following a play which resulted in what we believed was a touchdown, our kicker was sent in to attempt the extra point. They scraped the snow away and discovered that the ball was short of the goalline. Neyland sent the regular tailback back out and we proceeded to score. In those days, once a player came out of the lineup, he couldn't substitute back in during that quarter (as best I recall the details of this narrative), so a backup kicker was sent in to attempt the PAT. Unfortunately, he failed to convert and, according to Faust, if he was the source of this story, we lost a potential Rose Bowl bid that year because we failed to finish with a perfect record.

I will try to find the video segment for that interview; it almost certainly was on either "100 Years of Volunteers" or "General Robert Neyland: The Man and the Legend," both of which are must-see viewing for any Tennessee fan with a deep historical appreciation of the program.

P.S. 'twas the Neyland documentary and Faust was, indeed, the source of this narrative; fast-forward to the 5:52 mark of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWJgoBZTeM&feature=BFa&list=FLIhOJuCTmZPOEy-47v5Z3GQ&lf=plpp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Incidentally, "From 1913 to 1938, Tennessee and Kentucky always played each other on Thanksgiving Day (in 1917 and 1918 the schools did not play football during World War One).

The Wildcats were generally a stingy opponent against Tennessee during that time, even during UT's dominance under head coach Robert Neyland. General Neyland never lost to Kentucky on Thanksgiving Day, but he tied the Wildcats three times. The three ties came in 1928, 1929, and 1931. All three seasons, Neyland's Tennessee teams finished with an overall record of 9-0-1, the only blemish each season coming against Kentucky on Thanksgiving" (Tennessee Vols football full of Thanksgiving traditions).

Reactions: 1 person
The 1950 Kentucky game in Neyland was played in snow i believe

It was. My Dad and his best friend, Oscar Huffstetler, were there. Dad said they built a fire in the stands to get warm. He and Oscar, also, went to the Cotton Bowl the following New Years Day to watch the Vols beat Texas and share the National Championship for that season. I still have the program and a souvenir pin-on orange football with orange and white ribbon trailer that Dad brought back from said Cotton Bowl. Priceless!!!

Reactions: 1 person
It was. My Dad and his best friend, Oscar Huffstetler, were there. Dad said they built a fire in the stands to get warm. He and Oscar, also, went to the Cotton Bowl the following New Years Day to watch the Vols beat Texas and share the National Championship for that season. I still have the program and a souvenir pin-on orange football with orange and white ribbon trailer that Dad brought back from said Cotton Bowl. Priceless!!!

Really cool!:rock::rock::rock:

What are the odds that there would be two threads in here wondering about a football game in the snow at the same time and one of them was started in 2010? Welcome to Bizarro World!

So I am watching the snow continue to fall, and it just occurred to me that I don't believe I have ever witnessed a Tennessee football game played in a snow storm. I've witnessed many games played in rain storms (two of my favorite are the 1989 TN - AU game and the 1992 TN - FL game), but I don't recall seeing us play in a snow storm. I know that the season ends in late November/early December and that most bowl games are played in warm weather cities. But I have witnessed a few High School games played in the snow, including one that my brother played in when he played for Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN) in a game against Central High School (Blountville, TN) where the snow was coming down hard in the late 80s. But I don't remember watching any Tennessee snow games. Do any of you recall a Tennessee snow game, perhaps prior to the late 80s/early 90s when I started keeping up with Tennessee football? If so, please post below.

I thought we played MTSU in the snow a few years back? Nvm I think I'm remembering when I played them on PS3 lol

Last edited:
I thought we played MTSU in the snow a few years back? Nvm I think I'm remembering when I played them on PS3 lol

That's funny. Back in the day I won numerous NC's with Tennessee on play station II, but after a while I got bored, so I created a team called the Alaska Polar Bears. Their home stadium was in Fairbanks, Alaska, so as you can imagine a lot of their games were played in the snow.

VN Store

Back