Refresh My Memory

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
How did the meeting of Hart and Jones originally come about? I know it happened in Louisville after Strong turned us down. Did Hart contact Jones or Jones contact him? I know Jones drove down and they met all night.

Just bored guys :)

Last edited:
I believe that Butch went after the job as soon as it came open and pursued it up until he took the podium as the new head coach. He recruited us.

Yep, that dude wants to be at tennessee. Perhaps some of us need to be a little more appreciative of our coach. I just hope he doesn't burn himself out.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, that dude wants to be at tennessee. Perhaps some of us need to be a little more appreciative of our coach. I just hope he doesn't burn himself out.

There's not a doubt at all that he loves Tennessee IMO.

Just my opinion but Hart struck out on all of the guys he wanted and Butch wanted to be at Tennessee. Hart possibly stumbled blindly into a hire that posterity may hail him as a genius.

Reactions: 3 people
I could be very wrong, but, I believe its done through agents.. Most ADs use search agencies, who are constantly in touch with coach's agents.(Year round
) Almost every coach has an agent, and almost every agent is always looking for a better $$ situation for their client. Coach makes more money, agent makes more money.. Agents hold no loyalty to anyone but their clients. Don't think for a second that CBJs agent isn't constantly looking and keeping feelers out, that's his job.. Remember, Super Agent Jimmy Sexton is a Tennessee grad, who was involved with UT athletics while he was at UT has used Tennessee several times to get his clients raises at their present school.
So my answer is agents and search firms contacted eachother first, then as names go off the lists more phone calls are made between the 2..My guess is CBJs agent had been in conversations long before any interviews had occurred.

Jones picked up a hitchhiker outside of Louisville and as fate would have it, it turned out to be an exhausted Dave Hart, now you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't they meet late in the evening and then hammer out a contract in a hotel room later that night? It all happened very quick.

Jones recruited AD Dave Hart when Hart was only a 3* because Tennessee is where he really wanted to be.

Jones has been coaching up Hart really well and in another year or 2 AD Hart will be considered a 4* after so much hard work by buTch.

The losing mentality of AD Hart is finally turning around.

It takes time to change a losing culture back into a positive, confident, Winning culture but Jones is finally getting it done.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back