How should Tennessee split up its spring practice carries?

WilliamDuVOL

How should Tennessee split up its spring practice carries?

You know, I haven't seen a lot of articles come out of SDS lately that weren't fluff, but IMO (remember it's an opinion lol) this article raises a good point of discussion.

As it stands now, Kamara has yet to earn playing time for an SEC team. Tennessee’s staff needs to find out just how ready he is to play. He thoroughly dominated the junior college ranks in 2014, averaging better than 7.2 yards per carry en route to 1,253 yards and 18 touchdowns at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. He ran out of a wide array of sets, from lining up next to his quarterback in the shotgun, behind him in the pistol and as the deep man in I-formations.

Will the breakaway speed, nasty cutbacks and tackle-breaking ability translate to the SEC a season removed from his stint at Alabama? Will he be able to fit in with Tennessee’s zone-read scheme? The Volunteers staff will learn this spring.

Personally, I think Kamara needs to get a majority of the carries in Spring practice unless he shows he is ready to go right away. In that case, it will probably be pretty even. He has all the physical tools, but it's true he's never played a down in a live SEC game. I'm sure he received plenty of carries practicing at Alabama, however, which hopefully will have him prepared. Spring practice is going to be exciting again this year I believe.

I say we put both Hurd and Kamara in the backfield and install the Veer during spring practice.

or we could do what Butch and DeBord want to do.

Reactions: 5 people
Isn't Hurd out for the Spring after the shoulder surgery?

I may be wrong, but isn't Hurd going to be limited a good bit this spring because of his off season surgery on his shoulder ?

So Kamara will get the majority of the looks / carries this spring for sure.. I hope to see the staff look elsewhere this spring to find another back in this roster.. Hopefully Evan Berry gets some looks ?

Reactions: 1 person
Not doubting Kamara's abilities, but I am a little curious as to why he didn't get more touches as a freshmen. Alabama has been known to give true freshmen ample opportunity if the talent is there. Perhaps he was injured.

Not doubting Kamara's abilities, but I am a little curious as to why he didn't get more touches as a freshmen. Alabama has been known to give true freshmen ample opportunity if the talent is there. Perhaps he was injured.

Thought he didn't really fit their system. Might be wrong though

He was red shirted and had some off the field issues.

Also he came in that 2013 class with Derrick Henry and three other RB commits.
Bama also had established play makers - Drake and Yeldon

Good points.

Also, as to the Hurd injury thing, it will be crucial for him to rest, so this could be Kamara's chance to close a little ground between himself and Hurd and develop.

It'll be a good chance for somebody to step up and shine with Hurd limited.

With Hurd limited and depth an issue I don't see the staff letting Kamara taking too many hit during spring practice. Wouldn't be surprised to see Berry or Pig lined up as RB this spring.

Last edited:
Kamara is going to get way more carries than some think. I think Hurd and Kamara will likely have a similar number of carries barring injury after this upcoming season.

Kamara is going to get way more carries than some think. I think Hurd and Kamara will likely have a similar number of carries barring injury after this upcoming season.

Agreed, if his skills translate from the JUCO level. That being said, there's no reason to assume they won't that I can think of. Time will tell.

Everybody needs to keep in mind Bammer has a history of recruiting kids just to ensure they can't play for anyone else. Kamara was leaning us and if memory serves went late to the Tide. They knew when they recruited those 4 that year that only 1 or 2 was going to play, but they for dxxm sure knew all 4 would not be lining up against them. The shenanigans going on at tuscaloser are beginning to see the light of day and kids, their families, and hs coaches are hearing about it.

How about we let Butch decide this...then just sit back and watch whomever gets the carries. Once again a very esoteric VN thread.

This is a fan forum for discussion and opinions. While I respect that that is your opinion, it is also mine that it is an interesting topic worthy of speculating on. Once again a very typical VN reply to a thread that some might find intriguing at best, or could simply skip over at worst.

I say we put both Hurd and Kamara in the backfield and install the Veer during spring practice.

or we could do what Butch and DeBord want to do.

Hurd should move to qb he is too tall to play runningback. Move Dobbs to tightend.

Hopefully nobody takes this serious*

Quote: 7.2 yards per carry en route to 1,253 yards and 18 touchdowns at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas" -- and that was behind an OL no where near the power house of Team 119's !!

Quote: "it's true he's never played a down in a live SEC game" -- and neither had Hurd, but CBJ knows his RB's ! 119

We have many, many weapons for Captain Dobbs to utilize, and Kamara should perform wonderfully as one of them.

Hurd will be very limited, still recovering. Probably no contact.. Doubt if Coaches want to run Alvin too much this spring as well.. With so many LBs, DL and RB and WRs out this spring.. don't get all caught up in practice stats. In my mind Im not sure I would even hold an Orange and White "game" I might just do some other stuff fans can watch and roll into summer workouts as healthy as possible.. Still shows Vols have talent but depth is still a work

What happens if Kamara takes the #1 spot away from Hurd? How would VN feel about that?

Some on here would lose it probably, but personally, I'd be okay because it would mean that when our #1 back comes out, production would not drop off at all because his back up is just as good.

What happens if Kamara takes the #1 spot away from Hurd? How would VN feel about that?

This is a great question.

The 'homer' part of me wants hometown neighbor Hurd to do well. But that doesn't mean he has to stay our #1 RB all year.

Good, healthy competition is a boon for everyone. Hoping Hurd and Kamara keep each other fired up and overachieving all year long. If they keep 'passing' each other into the starting role, that might be awesome.

Quote: 7.2 yards per carry en route to 1,253 yards and 18 touchdowns at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas" -- and that was behind an OL no where near the power house of Team 119's !!

Quote: "it's true he's never played a down in a live SEC game" -- and neither had Hurd, but CBJ knows his RB's ! 119

We have many, many weapons for Captain Dobbs to utilize, and Kamara should perform wonderfully as one of them.

Well... I might be tempted to switch OLs

VN Store

Back