Jones opens up on DeBord hire, developing QBs and more

kamoshika

This story was posted earlier in the Recruiting Forum's Football Talk thread, so some may've missed it...

Through the shield of coachspeak that every leader of a major college football program utilizes from time to time, there are glimpses of Jones' confidence, his belief that the fruits of his culture change are surfacing in the players he coaches.

"We talk about owning the football program, not renting it," Jones said. "We talk about the Power T. I'll be very candid with you: We had too many that didn't love the Power T, so to speak. They loved the power of the 'T'. We talk to our players about, it’s not loving the Power of the T and what Tennessee football can do for you, but it's the investment in that Power T. It's true love and affinity for this great institution."

Jones has it, and he is tasked with making Tennessee great once again. It isn't there yet, but it's getting ever-closer.

Tennessee's Butch Jones Opens Up on Mike DeBord Hire, Developing QBs and More | Bleacher Report

Reactions: 11 people
Butch has got to be super confident in himself, and the way things are going for all aspects of the program to hire DeBord.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has got to be super confident in himself, and the way things are going for all aspects of the program to hire DeBord.

I think that Butch is super confident in Debord and his abilities to run our offense and that's the reason he hired Debord.

I think he knows more about coaching and coaches than I do so I trust him to make the right decisions for our program.

He's made all the right moves and hires so far so...... Everybody freaked out when Graham left and Gillespie was hired to but we see how that's worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
Butch Jones is about to make a damn fool out of a lot of people around here. Debord will have the last laugh!

Reactions: 28 people
I think the OP quotes of Jones were aimed at some of the players who were leaving for other opportunities.
I heard a coach say to his team one time, You either came here to be part of the tradition, or you came here to add to it.

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly, I thought this must have come from an Onion article:

"We had too many that didn't love the Power T, so to speak. They loved the power of the 'T'. We talk to our players about, it’s not loving the Power of the T and what Tennessee football can do for you, but it's the investment in that Power T."

Reactions: 3 people
I think that Butch is super confident in Debord and his abilities to run our offense and that's the reason he hired Debord.

I think he knows more about coaching and coaches than I do so I trust him to make the eat decisions for our program.

He's made all the right moves and hires so far so...... Everybody freaked out when Graham left and Gillespie was hired to but we see how that's worked out.

Ohh I agree 100%. I have never knocked the hire, or talked bad about DeBord. I could of worded my comment a little better I suppose.

Ohh I agree 100%. I have never knocked the hire, or talked bad about DeBord. I could of worded my comment a little better I suppose.

Oh no, I wasn't knocking your comment just posted mine and added my lil twist in response to yours. No, no wasn't knocking ya.

Butch Jones is about to make a damn fool out of a lot of people around here. Debord will have the last laugh!

It certainly looks like a good move on paper. I think a lot of people don't get that running this offense is going to really be a team effort. Debord won't have total control of the offense like some think. Debord has OL and OC experience with an emphasis on the run game. Gillespie is the RB guy. Azzanni is a WR guy with passing game coordinator experience. Sheridan is a QB guy who also has passing game coordinator experience. The key will be how well Debord, Gillespie, Azzanni, and Nick Sheridan work together. Butch will run this like a military operation. He will give them his commander's intent, the game plan, and tell them to go execute.

Last edited:

I think he knows more about coaching and coaches than I do so I trust him to make the right decisions for our program.

This is something that I think was so quickly forgotten on here. I love Graham and know he is a VFL, but IMO hiring Gillespie not only was an upgrade as a coach, but was a brilliant move by Jones.

Reactions: 6 people
"With Mike DeBord, he has the same offensive philosophies. We've really benefited from the experience he’s gained in the last five years in the National Football League. We've really benefited from him being a year-and-a-half off of football and studying every football program from college to the National Football League. He's a tremendous, tremendous communicator, and our kids have gravitated toward him immediately."

Its one thing to point out that you don't forget football in two years, but to actually try to sell it as a benefit that he was busy being an olympic sports coordinators? Any takers?

"With Mike DeBord, he has the same offensive philosophies. We've really benefited from the experience he’s gained in the last five years in the National Football League. We've really benefited from him being a year-and-a-half off of football and studying every football program from college to the National Football League. He's a tremendous, tremendous communicator, and our kids have gravitated toward him immediately."

Its one thing to point out that you don't forget football in two years, but to actually try to sell it as a benefit that he was busy being an olympic sports coordinators? Any takers?

Agree. Trying too hard, just like in the presser. I've come around and as a fan am good with the hire, don't need the extra effort to insult what little intelligence I have.

Reactions: 4 people

Wasn't Graham in on some top recruits nationwide and we did n't want to lose those recruits?

Wasn't Graham in on some top recruits nationwide and we did n't want to lose those recruits?

Well that was kinda the consensus on here, but e never landed any of those said top recruits. But Gillespie come in and landed North and Lee with a couple of weeks left to signing day (if I remember that correctly) not sure about te line there and I know Lee never made it but he (Gillespie) landed the recruits and he's got RB's wantin to play for him. Couldn't really say that about Graham. How many high rated backs did we get under his watch?

I think there were more of us who've supported CMD than the noisy negagurus made it look. Kudos to those with prior, legitimately based doubts who've come around to DeBords efficacy as the best man for the job. To those clinging to the straws of doubt, cry on. This offense is scary awesome!

Reactions: 4 people

You think he was concentrating on pole vaulting and discus fundamentals? :glare:

Well that was kinda the consensus on here, but e never landed any of those said top recruits. But Gillespie come in and landed North and Lee with a couple of weeks left to signing day (if I remember that correctly) not sure about te line there and I know Lee never made it but he (Gillespie) landed the recruits and he's got RB's wantin to play for him. Couldn't really say that about Graham. How many high rated backs did we get under his watch?

North was Graham's feather in the hat...Graham left after signing day...you're right about Gillespie being an upgrade...as a coach AND recruiter.

You think he was concentrating on pole vaulting and discus fundamentals? :glare:

No, because he wasn't coaching track. He was the olympic sports coordinator, i.e., an athletic director type job with respect to the olympic sports. I also believe he had work to do with respect to the job he was given, which was unrelated to football.

Ok my bad, I thought CRG come in and secured North. Sorry, like I said that's been 2 classes ago alot has happened since then plus I've slept to so my CRS syndrome kicks in ever so often.

No, because he wasn't coaching track. He was the olympic sports coordinator, i.e., an athletic director type job with respect to the olympic sports. I also believe he had work to do with respect to the job he was given, which was unrelated to football.

Coaching fundamentals of lighting torches...memorizing national anthems?

Ok my bad, I thought CRG come in and secured North. Sorry, like I said that's been 2 classes ago alot has happened since then plus I've slept to so my CRS syndrome kicks in ever so often.

I got your point...Gillespie's better. :thumbsup:

DeBord will be a sport administrator working with the field hockey, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's gymnastics, men's and women's track and field, and men's and women's tennis programs.

MGOBLUE.COM DeBord Returning to Michigan to Serve as Sport Administrator - University of Michigan Official Athletic Site

Takes hours to make sure those uniforms fit contours just so...and bottled waters/supplement don't leave the store on their own. :happy:

VN Store

Back