DeBord on Vol Calls Monday

kamoshika

DeBord said he’s met with the offensive staff extensively “going through every play individually,” considering what plays they want to keep, how they might adjust those plays and what they might be able to add. “We’re really looking at our system, what we want to do, continue to do,” DeBord said. “Then maybe take some things out and add a few wrinkles here and there...

...DeBord said he likes the versatility of the offense. “Our run game, what I like about it right now is that we are going to have attitude runs where we can line up and knock people back, then we’re going to have deception in our run game,” DeBord said. “So I really like where that’s at right now, and we’re going to continue to develop our passing game. That’s one thing that we’ve gotta continue to get better at as well. There’s a lot of different ways we want to come at people. Obviously, everybody knows we run the fast tempo, no-huddle offense, but [also] it’s going to be important how we attack people.”

Mike DeBord talks Dobbs, film study, attitude and deception in run game on Vol Calls - Vols Beat

Reactions: 8 people
Sounds like he knows a little about QBs...something so simple that Dobbs was able to fix it easily after being informed...never had a problem with Coach Jake but this one little thing is a good start for the new guy.

The more I read and hear about Debord, the more I like the hire and look forward to seein what he can do with our offense.

Reactions: 9 people
The more I read and hear about Debord, the more I like the hire and look forward to seein what he can do with our offense.

Sometimes simplicity can be revolutionary...sometime our offense seemed to be overthinking these last two years...Dobbs best games came when he was playing naturally.

Sometimes simplicity can be revolutionary...sometime our offense seemed to be overthinking these last two years...Dobbs best games came when he was playing naturally.

Agreed, I like the part of lining up and knocking guys back in the run game.... That's just basic power football and I like it a lot!

Reactions: 6 people
Thanks OP for posting that link.

I love how DeBord spent some time with Dobbs before he even had the OC job and pointed out some flaws to Dobbs right then.

By the time he actually had the OC job he was watching Dobbs again and Dobbs had already worked hard to correct the problems he'd pointed out to him.

I also liked how DeBord said we're going to have some attitude runs where we just line up and knock people back and some other runs that are deceptive.

Sounds like he's a very detail oriented guy that looks at every position and player to find and fix little problems to make everything better.

Seems like he can find and identify weaknesses pretty fast so hopefully our game plans will be better at attacking the other teams weaknesses a lot better instead of just running a play because it hasn't been tried before.

DeBord just might work out better than most expect like buTch has done so far.

We'll know a lot more by the end of next season.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Agreed, I like the part of lining up and knocking guys back in the run game.... That's just basic power football and I like it a lot!

I maintain that Butch watched Ohio State in the playoffs and had a conversation with Coach Jake along the lines of "That's the zhit right there! Our first quarter against Iowa and what these guys are doing against Bama + Oregon! Don't care how you do it...just make it happen!"...in two weeks Jake realized that he's always dreamed of coaching QBs in the NFL. Not saying DeBord is a slam dunk, but an enthusiastic 59 year old teacher isn't the geezer some are portraying on here. I'm really getting interested in how this works out.

Reactions: 7 people
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremedicVOL127 View Post

I maintain that Butch watched Ohio State in the playoffs and had a conversation with Coach Jake along the lines of "That's the zhit right there! Our first quarter against Iowa and what these guys are doing against Bama + Oregon! Don't care how you do it...just make it happen!"...in two weeks Jake realized that he's always dreamed of coaching QBs in the NFL. Not saying DeBord is a slam dunk, but an enthusiastic 59 year old teacher isn't the geezer some are portraying on here. I'm really getting interested in how this works out.

Yes. We have 1 good game to ready for a W over OU, and 3 good games to ready for the W over first-year-coached FL -- and then. 119

Sometimes experience is better than that youthful, popular, sexy, homerun hire. But I'm with ya, very intrested to see how this works out.

Sometimes it is pure fundamentals, the boring stuff, moving a hand 2 inches, making a first step with a different foot, turning your head left instead of right... When those types of things become natural everything else looks smooth.

Reactions: 3 people
Sometimes it is pure fundamentals, the boring stuff, moving a hand 2 inches, making a first step with a different foot, turning your head left instead of right... When those types of things become natural everything else looks smooth.

Cutcliffe gets better every year that goes by and he's a teacher...who's learned what didn't work as well for him and he's lauded as one of the best at teaching vital fundamentals...ask Erik Ainge. What we've been missing since 2007...would like some more of that.

Cutcliffe gets better every year that goes by and he's a teacher...who's learned what didn't work as well for him and he's lauded as one of the best at teaching vital fundamentals...ask Erik Ainge. What we've been missing since 2007...would like some more of that.

I think you and I are singing from the same hymnbook.
The simplicity comes from doing the fundamental things so well. Debord will have to learn his personnel so their will be a slight learning curve this year but I think he can bring in some refreshing fundamentals which in turn can simplify some things

Reactions: 2 people
The key to running is closing the distance between the OL and them road grading the D-Line, its simple math what Wisconsin and Arky are doing 6 + 6 = 1st down and more. The D-line just gets wore down trying to stop the run and then they throw the ball over the top...Everyone questions why Coach Jake left is probably the same reason Arky lost their OC, difference of opinion of the process.

The key to running is closing the distance between the OL and them road grading the D-Line, its simple math what Wisconsin and Arky are doing 6 + 6 = 1st down and more. The D-line just gets wore down trying to stop the run and then they throw the ball over the top...Everyone questions why Coach Jake left is probably the same reason Arky lost their OC, difference of opinion of the process.

These past couple of seasons, when posters would take a shot at Coach Jake, some would pine for Chaney. I always remembered the tunnel vision when it came to the passing game. His last year here the running game drastically improved...coincidence it transpired every year that Pittman was his OL coach...here and at Arkansas.

Reactions: 1 person
I find it interesting that all of the naysayers out there are beginning to hide. The players already love him and they say he brings a lot of energy. Jalen Hurd seems to highly approve of him, and if DeBord can get major players like Hurd and Dobbs on board, then we should be on board as well! So far, he's done a great job and is working well with the coaches and players.

It take a good manager to get someone to do something they don't want to do, or don't think they can do.

It takes an even better manager to get someone who can't quite do their job well enough to go find another job.

It takes a great manager to get that person to go find another job and have that person, Bajakian, and Volnation think it was Bajakians idea to go get the other job!!

Go Butch!!

If Debord can fix Dobbs accuracy issues we will indeed have the total package at QB. With our defense we will be tough to handle next year for any team.

It take a good manager to get someone to do something they don't want to do, or don't think they can do.

It takes an even better manager to get someone who can't quite do their job well enough to go find another job.

It takes a great manager to get that person to go find another job and have that person, Bajakian, and Volnation think it was Bajakians idea to go get the other job!!

Go Butch!!

:lolabove: I should've wrote it like that! Didn't know how! :rock2:

I dunno. I have a hard time believing Bajakian was overthinking "Lets run a WR screen. Didn't work? Ok let's run a WR screen again, didn't work again? Ok let's try to get a first down with something else, then we'll try another WR screen."

I'm pretty sure he wasn't overthinking. On the contrary, I think he was texting and playing on Facebook while calling plays.

I want anyone that coaches at UT to succeed. I know it's a lovefest now and I hope it continues. No games have been played yet so I want to see a few games before he's anointed as the real deal. :peace2:

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back