Lindsey Nelson or John Ward

For me, it's Ward.

I know Nelson was a legend and buddies with the General, but for me, it's Ward.

Reactions: 1 person
Ward, He was a true radio broadcaster. He actually studied the rosters, new the players names, could say them correctly and knew their correct HS unlike some broadcasters Ive heard .. ahem. Also gave the score frequently because he wasn't afraid you would change the station on him..

Reactions: 7 people
Ward, He was a true radio broadcaster. He actually studied the rosters, new the players names, could say them correctly and knew their correct HS unlike some broadcasters Ive heard .. ahem. Also gave the score frequently because he wasn't afraid you would change the station on him..

Hmmm.

Anyway. Bob isn't as bad as many of you seem to make him out to be.

Just as many of you are so quick to ask what coaching credentials others have, I would love for any of us to attempt to call 1 live play.

We would make Roger sound like JFK or FDR.

Reactions: 2 people
I remember listening to JW on all the broadcasts back in the day. When the Vols played football or basketball on TV, my Dad always turned it down and the radio up. Watching the B ballers with Justus and Hahn, Jimmy England. Man those were the days. JW is a legend. He could make a paint drying contest exciting.. he just had the touch.

Reactions: 4 people
I remember listening to JW on all the broadcasts back in the day. When the Vols played football or basketball on TV, my Dad always turned it down and the radio up. Watching the B ballers with Justus and Hahn, Jimmy England. Man those were the days. JW is a legend. He could make a paint drying contest exciting.. he just had the touch.

Back then, the Vols weren't on TV that much and all we had was Ward...especially during basketball season.

He Pops...and Drops!

I hate to tell people...but in 30 years or so when Kesling hangs it up and a new generation or two has only heard his voice their entire lives. Including the one to two championships that will come and the iconic calls with it, then he will be remembered as Ward is now. I know it is shocking, but just ask a 20 year old now...they will say Lebron is better or as good as Jordan...that Derek Barnett has to be better than Reggie White. They do not know any better and then perception unfortunately becomes reality.

Reactions: 3 people
I hate to tell people...but in 30 years or so when Kesling hangs it up and a new generation or two has only heard his voice their entire lives. Including the one to two championships that will come and the iconic calls with it, then he will be remembered as Ward is now. I know it is shocking, but just ask a 20 year old now...they will say Lebron is better or as good as Jordan...that Derek Barnett has to be better than Reggie White. They do not know any better and then perception unfortunately becomes reality.

I'm only a little older than that, but I can remember Ward and I remember being sad when he hung it up. My first game in Neyland was watching Manning finish his career with a win against Vandy when I was about 7.

Also, Jordan was definitely better than James, and while I hope Barnett has tremendous success, he's got a long way to go before he approaches the level of the Minister, in what he did both on and off the field.

I'll be sure to help teach all the young'uns about the greats. :)

Reactions: 3 people
I'm only a little older than that, but I can remember Ward and I remember being sad when he hung it up. My first game in Neyland was watching Manning finish his career with a win against Vandy when I was about 7.

Also, Jordan was definitely better than James, and while I hope Barnett has tremendous success, he's got a long way to go before he approaches the level of the Minister, in what he did both on and off the field.

I'll be sure to help teach all the young'uns about the greats. :)

yeah...you actually heard the great one and are closer or quite even 25 than you are to 20...but it just goes down the line...I was just picking an age...just think of the 15 year olds and 10 year olds, they are really missing out

I love the Saturday Night at Stokely videos with Ward's play-by-play. I wish there were some from the early 1970s with England, Johnson, and Edwards.

John Ward hands down....... Speakin of which any legacies here to watch out for??

If we could get a grandson on the hook now.....

Good thing I'm only 18 :crazy:

Reactions: 1 person

This actually makes a ton of sense And likely 100% right. I'm lucky enough to have listened to John Ward. Good post!

VN Store

Back