CAN Josh Dobbs win the Heisman next year?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I'm going to start with a very very clear disclaimer here: I don't care how many Boogers and McElroys and other SEC homers out there say it, if you're predicting Josh Dobbs to win the Heisman next year you're out of your mind. I'm sorry.... it ain't happening.

But to give/get a little perspective on Dobbs I want to pose the question. CAN he win the Heisman? As in, if all the hype was enough, if the wins were there, if the stars aligned perfectly for him to be the guy, does he have what it takes to win it?

Basically it's like this:

Can Dobbs win us the minimum 10-12 games that are obviously required to win the Heisman?

Absolutely. JMO of course, but I think so. Team 119 has the potential to be special. Not saying I predict this many wins, but it's certainly possible. Some could make an argument for "likely" even.

Can Dobbs make the highlight reel plays required to go on a Heisman winner's resume?

Again, a no-brainer. Dobbs is a highlight machine. The man turns busted plays into touchdowns on a regular basis.

Can Dobbs be the face of the team? AKA the player everyone thinks of when they think of his team, as Manziel was to A&M, Cam Newton was to Auburn, etc.

This one is a little tougher. There are going to be several big names on the team next year, big names with big personalities. However, I don't think it will take too much for Dobbs to establish himself as the forefront. The hype is pretty much already doing that for him.

Can Dobbs play well enough to win the Heisman even when opposing teams have planned for him, and based their gameplan around shutting him down?

And therein, as they say, lies the rub...... I think this is the area that will ultimately keep Dobbs out of the running (supposing he's on the verge of being in the running). The natural passing ability simply isn't there. He will improve, but I feel if a team finds a way to shut down Dobbs' unpredictable 15+ yard runs, they have shut down Josh Dobbs.

So CAN he win the Heisman? I hate to pee in the Josh Dobbs Cheerios, but truthfully I say no, in the end, he can not. Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
I think there are going to be a lot of let down vol fans mid season next year. Dobbs is good but he isn't no where near Heisman material. His arm just isn't that good.

Reactions: 14 people
ESPN will hype him up during preseason and knock him down during season. ESPN will find a way so Tennessee will never have a Heisman Winner.

Reactions: 5 people
10-12 games?
If you look at the Paul Hornung example, your team doesn't even need a winning record.
Just ask Johnny Majors about that debacle.

Reactions: 5 people
10-12 games?
If you look at the Paul Hornung example, your team doesn't even need a winning record.
Just ask Johnny Majors about that debacle.

Tommy McDonald should have been above both Hornung and Majors.

Even Jim Brown had better stats that year.

So CAN he win the Heisman? I hate to pee in the Josh Dobbs Cheerios, but truthfully I say no, in the end, he can not. Thoughts?

Whatever happened to rooting for your team and its players to be successful? I swear this site is filled with some of the most unoptomistic, negative minded, naysayers I've ever seen.

Be happy that for the first time in over a decade, your team and its players are being talked about positively.

Reactions: 20 people
Whatever happened to rooting for your team and its players to be successful? I swear this site is filled with some of the most unoptomistic, negative minded, naysayers I've ever seen.

Be happy that for the first time in over a decade, your team and its players are being talked about positively.

What an ironic screen name to make this post in this thread.

Reactions: 12 people
ESPN will hype him up during preseason and knock him down during season. ESPN will find a way so Tennessee will never have a Heisman Winner.

you literally dug and found a way to say that ESPN still hates us, despite the incredible hype they're giving us

Reactions: 6 people
He can. But I think Hurd Is a better choice despite having to share time with Kamara.

If the O-Line play is tremendously better...then no. I think the only reason Dobbs had such great stats, is because he ran for his life and was much better at it than Worley. If the O-Line play gets a lot better like we are all hoping for, his stats go down and he becomes a leader and game manager and runs when he needs to. The other offensive talent will start to out shine him. Of all the players on team 118...maybe Hurd, but I doubt it.

Not impossible but highly unlikely. For him to do so, he will need some monster numbers, an SECC and a playoff bowl win.

Nope...nor would I care for him to.

Just win baby!

15647635_SA.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Only if Tennessee wins 11-12 games this year and he has a very good year. All of us know how this award goes. I hope we ?he can doit, but I think we are a year or two away.

Last edited:
Dobbs needs to win games period. If he wins personal awards it shows he is doing his job on this team. Forget the hype. Win the games!

Reactions: 1 person
I think there are going to be a lot of let down vol fans mid season next year. Dobbs is good but he isn't no where near Heisman material. His arm just isn't that good.

Post of the year! I don't know where all this Josh Dobbs heisman garbage is coming from. Hell he never throws the ball ( through no fault of his own ) when he does its not very accurate. Josh Dobbs will be above average but that's about it IMO

you literally dug and found a way to say that ESPN still hates us, despite the incredible hype they're giving us

Yes so much yes. What is ESPN doing this time the double negative reverse dog dare psychology of hyping us up? My fellow VFL's are acting like Fezzini trying to figure which glass to drink from in 'Princess Bride'

VN Store

Back