NFL combine test results for the entire Vol team

Would you support a public NFL combine simulation for all current Vol players?

• Total voters

AboveAllNations

I have an idea that I think would be extremely cool, but I want to know what the rest of Volnation thinks. Specifically, I propose that Butch Jones and/or Dave Lawson take an afternoon sometime during the off-season to run a simulation of the NFL combine, and publicly post test results for all active Tennessee football players. Tests would include 40 time, bench press reps at 225 lbs, vertical leap, broad jump, 3-cone drill, shuttle times, and maybe even the Wonderlic test.

Pros:

- would foster competition among the players
- would incentivize players to take off-season strength and conditioning seriously at risk of public embarrassment
- would improve our relationship with NFL teams by giving their scouts some early info on our future prospects
- holding the event every year would allow us to gauge both team and individual player improvement over time
- would build tremendous buzz and generate fan excitement by resolving internet debates over who's faster or stronger, allowing us to compare our players to current NFL prospects, etc.
- might result in a new world record

Cons:

- would pose a slight risk of causing soft-tissue injuries (hamstring pulls, etc.)
- publicly posting the results might give away scouting intelligence that could be exploited by our upcoming opponents (e.g., identifying which of our DBs or LBs they should target in coverage, etc.)

Notwithstanding the cons, I think that on balance this kind of an event would be a huge net benefit to the program. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Could be good but they'd be crazy to publicize.

We would be surprised by the numbers. Big difference in game speed and 40 speed in spandex.

These guys at the combine have been training for this situation for months, I think there is a 10th of a second to be lost if these guys are training correctly.

We'd see a lot of 4.5's and 4.6's.

We would be surprised by the numbers. Big difference in game speed and 40 speed in spandex.

These guys at the combine have been training for this situation for months, I think there is a 10th of a second to be lost if these guys are training correctly.

We would see our players are a lot slower than we think. The inflated high school numbers would be gone.

I voted I would support it simply because I wouldn't oppose it.

I'm sure our staff already tests and measures players internally. The issue is whether the benefits of publicizing the numbers and making it a public competition would outweigh the cons, and I think they would.

It would be fun for the fans, but not a good idea for the players. Scouts would form opinions of players before they are NFL ready and before going through our strength & conditioning program.

Vol coaches have a very good idea of how every player would place, after all it's their job and what they are paid to do.

Vol coaches have a very good idea of how every player would place, after all it's their job and what they are paid to do.

Right, but making the numbers public would probably motivate at least some players to work harder than they do currently, and the excitement this would generate might help us attract better recruits. Keep in mind how friggin' cool this would be.

Regarding the downside of giving our opponent's too much information, we're a good enough program now that we don't really have any weaknesses to hide anymore. If anything, letting opposing teams know we go three deep with a bunch of interchangeable 6'3" WRs running sub-4.5 40s would only serve to intimidate them. Upon reflection, I don't really see a downside.

I say we roll with it and post 40 times for guys like Ethan Wolf as 5.0, Jason Croom 4.85, Josh Smith 4.7, Josh Dobbs 4.5, Jalen Hurd 4.7, Derek Barnett 4.5, Khalil McKenzie 4.85, Shy Tuttle 4.9, Kyle Phillips 4.6, Cam Sutton 4.7. This way we screw with our opponents and make them misjudge our speed.

I say we roll with it and post 40 times for guys like Ethan Wolf as 5.0, Jason Croom 4.85, Josh Smith 4.7, Josh Dobbs 4.5, Jalen Hurd 4.7, Derek Barnett 4.5, Khalil McKenzie 4.85, Shy Tuttle 4.9, Kyle Phillips 4.6, Cam Sutton 4.7. This way we screw with our opponents and make them misjudge our speed.

Some of those are probably correct...

Reactions: 1 person
I'm against it, sorry.

I'm sure our S & C coaches have that info posted as motivation for our players to set higher goals to reach.

What scares me is that if it's all over everywhere we might have more scouts and agents sniffing around and lose more juniors to the lure of NFL money.

I wish every kid would stay and play out their Senior season.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!

The positive is it would get the players used to the publicity and scrutiny they would undergo for an actual NFL combine. Additionally, it could be a good sales technique to show they're "better training and equipping you for the NFL combine".

Even if all programs do this, the visibility would be the difference. I'd be a good showman move, and that is what Butch et al seem to do best.

And also most fans would be shocked that Hurd probably runs a high 4.4, Barnett might only rip out 14 225lb reps and Dormady is actually athletic. That would literally break VolNation.

Reactions: 1 person
And also most fans would be shocked that Hurd probably runs a high 4.4, Barnett might only rip out 14 225lb reps and Dormady is actually athletic. That would literally break VolNation.

Dormady is athletic, but is he more athletic than Sheriron Jones? How does he compare against Jennings? Why don't we also gauge our QB's arm strength by having them throw the ball as far as they can... I think people would be shocked how far Dobbs can chuck it.

Come on Butch, let's make this happen.

I only care that they can play in the SEC,i couldn't care any less if they can play in the NFL

But MacKenzie does run a 4.2 right?

Not really. KMac doesnt need to run, he just picks up the defender over his head and throws them for 40 yards at the QB. It brings his time down to a 3.3 seconds that way. :rock:

I only care that they can play in the SEC,i couldn't care any less if they can play in the NFL

Good for you, but most recruits do care about a program's legacy preparing players for the NFL. For example, our association with Peyton Manning is a hell of a lot more impressive on the recruiting trail than, say, Florida's association with Danny Wuerfall and Tim Tebow (both of whom were arguably more successful college players than Manning). So, yeah, our relationship with NFL teams matters.

More exposure before NFL scouts (and, over time, more early round NFL draft picks) would help us recruit a better team.

VN Store

Back