'One year better': Jones, Vols embrace elevated expectations~ TFP

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
'One year better': Jones, Vols embrace elevated expectations | Local News | Times Free Press

"We just have to continue to grow and elevate and develop our football program. You want to be part of a football program that has high expectations, which we do, but I continue to stress this with team 119: We just can't be one year older. We have to be one year better."

One ESPN pundit recently picked Tennessee to play in the Sugar Bowl next season.

"I don't think you can hide it," Jones said. "I think some (players) are more worldly, some understand more than others. I think our team still has a youthfulness about them that they still don't get caught up in all that, which is a good thing. Again, you want to be in a program that has high standards, high expectations."

"That's why development of a football program, not a football team, but a football program -- there's a difference between developing a team and developing a program -- takes time," he added. "It does not happen overnight. ... You can't fix all your problems, all your depth, in a couple of recruiting classes. You develop that over time."

And my favorite from the article...
He shared a conversation he had with Inky Johnson in which the former Tennessee defensive back, now a motivational speaker, told Jones, "Everybody wants the prize, but nobody wants the process."

Reactions: 29 people
Program is in better shape that it's been in a while. Expecting to win games is in everyone's minds even the doubters. Great time to be a Vol.

Reactions: 7 people
10-2 SEC East Champs Sugar Bowl champs

People that are seriously expecting a 10 win season and for the Vols to play in the Sugar Bowl are in for a big let down. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but it's more likely than not that it won't. 8 wins is more reasonable expectation for this season. 7 wins would be a disappointment.

People that are seriously expecting a 10 win season and for the Vols to play in the Sugar Bowl are in for a big let down. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but it's more likely than not that it won't. 8 wins is more reasonable expectation for this season. 7 wins would be a disappointment.
I've gotta' disagree. Looking at a great shot of besting the Sooners, the gayduhs are learning yet another system and have less depth, UGA & USCe are playing in Knoxville, as is Arky, I see the Vols beating the kitties & commodes plus 4 we're supposed to sleep walk through. Lose to bammer & one of the aforementioned, then we've got 10 plus SECCG & bowl game. With a W from at least 1 of 2 potential post season games, the odds of 10 Ws improves. GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Some on here need to pump the brakes. Freshmen and sophomores generally do not beat seniors,juniors,sophmores,and red shirts that are of equal or greater talent. BAMA, UGA, OU, and probably FL all fall in that catagory. Next year the pendulum swings our way with the combination of game experience, athleticism, and physical maturity except for Bama. We are 2 really good recruiting classes away from equal footing with them. 8-4 or 9-3 regular season with bowl win. 10 means we had breaks go our way for a change. I have been saying this for a while now. Just do not set to lofty and UNATTAINABLE goals this year. Let the team grow into success.

. "It does not happen overnight. ... You can't fix all your problems, all your depth, in a couple of recruiting classes. You develop that over time."

I wonder how many are willing to accept that. Pointing to 2016 not 15 IMO

Reactions: 3 people
Some on here need to pump the brakes. Freshmen and sophomores generally do not beat seniors,juniors,sophmores,and red shirts that are of equal or greater talent. BAMA, UGA, OU, and probably FL all fall in that catagory. Next year the pendulum swings our way with the combination of game experience, athleticism, and physical maturity except for Bama. We are 2 really good recruiting classes away from equal footing with them. 8-4 or 9-3 regular season with bowl win. 10 means we had breaks go our way for a change. I have been saying this for a while now. Just do not set to lofty and UNATTAINABLE goals this year. Let the team grow into success.
I agree with you 100%! The foundation is still being laid and we still have two more years to put the pieces in place! Some on here need to be a little more realistic. 8 wins is a reasonable GOAL for next year.

Sure we could win 9 or even 10 games but on the other hand we may only win 5-7 games if we have some bad luck. We still do not have the depth to deal with key injuries nor do our players have the experience to compete with the upper echelon teams!

CBJ is correct when he says "focus on the process" and the wins will come. I think 99.99% of Vol fans agree that the right "process" is in place. Patience my friends, patience!

Last edited:

Exactly, Huge difference between 19 year old lineman and 22 year old Sr who has been in a college weight room for 4 or 5 years.. Butch isn't sandbagging, he knows we are not there.... Yet!

Reactions: 2 people
Jones also said this so the Sugar Bowl predictions are a bit far fetched.

. "It does not happen overnight. ... You can't fix all your problems, all your depth, in a couple of recruiting classes. You develop that over time."

2017, actually. He said "a couple more recruiting classes away" == 2017. However...

CBJ's a smart dude. He knows that success in college football often comes in a 'breakout' way. You're building brick by brick, making steady improvement, until some fuzzy, unspecifiable 'critical mass' is attained, then WHAM! Sudden, dramatic improvement and a culture of winning takes root.

He knows even he can't predict exactly when that's gonna come. Could it be in 2015? Sure. But it might not. Not if you're looking for SEC Championships and beyond.

So he hedges his bets, giving his team the widest possible latitude to achieve the 'breakout.'

Doesn't mean that in his own heart, in that secret place he never shares with the media, his players, or probably even most of his fellow coaches, he's not thinking very much the same as many of us: that the breakout COULD come this soon, that this COULD be the year we challenge for the SEC-East. And once you get a ticket to the December game in Atlanta, all your biggest goals are strung out like pearls, each just one 60-minute football game further away than the one before.

And on any given Saturday, ...

Breakout, baby. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Just knowing that the Vol's can now compete, talent wise, is huge to the fan base.....some of the past blowouts are hopefully in the rear view.
Go Vol's

The "I want it now" generation doesn't understand you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run. SMH

Reactions: 2 people
Everybody is over thinking this. We have better talent than everybody we play accept Bama and Georgia. We need to just go out and take care of business and we will win 10 games.

Everybody is over thinking this. We have better talent than everybody we play accept Bama and Georgia. We need to just go out and take care of business and we will win 10 games.

So if we don't win 10 games and as you say, we have better talent, what does it mean?

I think a nice goal is to be ranked for most of the season, end in the Top 15 or so, and go to a better bowl than last year.

Tell the 2014 Ohio State team that their young guys shouldn't be able to beat the older teams

Reactions: 3 people
Who are we challenging for the east? It doesn't look like we are gonna have much competition. Everybody is down. Just go out and take care of business. Butch is playing possum by saying we are two years away. Hes just covering his arse in case we dont live up to expectations.

VN Store

Back