My annual game by game prediction for 2015

skasper06

Preseason AP Ranking: #22

9/5 vs Bowling Green (at LP Field)
Bowling Green won their division in the MAC the last two seasons in a row, beating NIU in 2013, then losing to NIU in 2014. They just added a new defensive coordinator in Brian Ward who won a coach of the year award in 2009 at the NAIA level. So what does all the mean? It makes a cupcake team look better on paper. Dobbs should have a field day and I expect both Kamara and Hurd will collect close to 100 rushing yards. Vols win 42-13 to start 1-0 and #20 in the AP.

9/12 vs Oklahoma (time already announced for 11am/12 eastern)
If Tennessee had a decent offensive line, the Vols may have had a chance in this matchup last season (as is the theme for many losses in 2014). In 2015, the offensive line should be much improved and fans should get to see Joshua Dobbs reall tested. Oklahoma will still have a lot of playmakers including Sterling Shepard and Eric Striker, both of which had their way with Tennessee last season. But an improved offensive line mixed with an elusive quarterback in Dobbs could be exactly what makes this season different from the last. Throw in a Vols defensive line ready to showcase their talent and it should be a very different game from last year. If this game were in Norman again, I would be tempted to go with the Sooners. But it’s not. Vols win 31-21 and get a bump up to #18 in the AP poll.

9/19 vs Western Carolina
Unfortunately for the Catamounts (yes that’s their name if you didn’t know), they are coming to Neyland Stadium to get their butts kicked. To put this game in to perspective, Western Carolina lost to UTC last season 51-0 – the same UTC that Tennessee played and easily handled in Neyland Stadium last season. With early scores and defensive turnovers, this game could get ugly fast. Vols win 52-14 and remain at #18 (unless someone big loses).

9/26 @ Florida
This was the only game of the season I predicted incorrectly last year. And my prediction is remaining the same. Jim McElwain may end up bringing Florida back to elite status, but it’s not happening in 2015. It’s been over 10 years since Tennessee beat Florida, and it will be all the sweeter to end the streak on their field. I expect this game to be extremely physical and even a little chippy. Tennessee’s defensive front will have a field day collecting at least 4 sacks. And the trio of Dobbs, Kamara, and Hurd will be more than Florida’s defense can handle. Vols win 35-13 and improve to 4-0 as well as being bumped to #17 in the AP.

10/3 vs. Arkansas
This could be Tennessee’s first game versus a ranked opponent and maybe even a potential ESPN Gameday location. This game could be a clash of the running backs with Arkansas’ Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins going head to head with Tennessee’s Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara. This game could potentially showcase four future NFL running backs. The difference is Tennessee will also be showcasing talent at several other positions. While I do believe Arkansas is a worthy adversary, I don’t see the Vols losing this one at home. Vols win 27-17 and get a nice bump in the AP to #14.

10/10 vs Georgia
Tennessee has had Georgia’s number for several years. Had Justin Worley not been injured in last season’s game and missed an entire quarter, it’s very possible Tennessee could have won. And although Todd Gurley will be gone, they barely miss a step with rising star Nick Chubb – arguably the best back in the SEC, if not the entire country. Both Chubb and Sony Michel make a great one-two punch for Georgia, but whoever takes over at quarterback for Hutson Mason will likely have some growing pains to go through. And against this Tennessee defense, it’s hard to see less than 2 interceptions and a few sacks going down. Georgia should have a decent season and will likely be somewhere around #12 when they come to Knoxville having gone undefeated until losing to Alabama the week prior to playing Tennessee. But Georgia will not be up to the task of stealing one in Neyland. Vols win 35-31 staying undefeated (6-0) and getting a bump to #11 in the AP poll.

10/17
BYE

10/24 @ Alabama
Losing TJ Yeldon, Blake Sims, and Amari Cooper seems like a lot, but for Alabama it’s just another year for some new star to step up (maybe someone from those three #1 recruiting classes). But early games against Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia, Arkansas, and Texas A&M should give a better gauge at how good this Alabama team will be with those new stars. I expect this game to be extremely close and honestly wouldn’t be surprised with an upset, but only because it’s in Tuscaloosa I’m taking the Tide – handing Tennessee their first loss of the season. Alabama wins 31-30 and Tennessee’s rating takes a hit down to #15.

10/31 @ Kentucky
Believe it or not, I believe UK is getting better. And I think Mark Stoops is the answer for the Wildcats to at least be more than the SEC’s punching bag. That being said, they are still Kentucky. Patrick Towles is a decent quarterback if he can stay consistent throughout the whole season. And their defensive line is absolutely massive. But too much talent and better coaching will win this game for the Vols. Vols win 35-14 moving to 7-1 on the year and maintaining the #15 spot in the rankings.

11/7 vs South Carolina
Steve Spurrier. What a guy, right? I’m sure he still has a bad taste in his mouth the way his team lost to the Vols the last two years in a row. But with Dylan Thompson gone, the Gamecocks’ best talent will remain Pharoh Cooper, which isn’t a bad talent to have. But if you want to beat Tennessee in 2015, you need more than an Egyptian man-god. Vols win 42-27 and get a slight move to #14 in the rankings.

11/14 vs North Texas
North Texas went 4-8 last season in the Conference USA and they didn’t exactly live up to their “Mean Green” name. Don’t be surprised if Tennessee plays a backup QB the second half *cough* Dormady! *Cough cough* Vols win 51-14 and stay at #14 in the rankings.

11/21 @ Mizzou
Mizzou has been the odd-ball of the SEC East the last two seasons. They keep winning when they shouldn’t! I didn’t know how they would beat Tennessee last season, but it was my preseason prediction (although offsides on that onside kick was garbage). With star defensive ends Shane Ray and Markus Golden off the NFL, the Tigers will lose some talent on defense. Maty Mauk will return at QB for Mizzou, but that isn’t saying much since he isn’t exactly the prettiest thing to look at on the field. I see a very good defensive game for the Vols and possibly a special teams touchdown just for fun. Vols win 28-21 moving to 10-1 and slide up the rankings to #11.

11/28 vs Vandy
If Vanderbilt loses to Western Kentucky to start the season, Derek Mason will have an uphill battle to keep his job. With only two or three potential wins on the schedule, I don’t see it happening. And if you were wondering, Tennessee is not one of those potential wins. Vols win 42-21 and hit #10 in the polls.

This puts Tennessee at 11-1 (7-1) on the season, finishing at #10 in the regular season and winning the SEC East, setting the state for a rematch of Tennessee vs Alabama in Atlanta.

12/5 vs Alabama (SEC Championship)
By now, Lane Kiffin will have Alabama’s offense clicking as if they never missed a beat from 2014. At the same time, Tennessee will be tuned up with playmakers on both sides of the ball. Tennessee will be hungry after such a close loss in Tuscaloosa earlier in the season, but Alabama will likely be playing for a playoff spot with much more on the line. With so much on the line it will come down to youth versus experience – where Alabama has the advantage. Bama wins 38-17.

The loss against Alabama puts Tennessee at 11-2 on the season and a knock down to #13 in the polls, coming in second in the SEC still puts the Vols in a New Year’s Six Bowl game. In this case, I’m going to predict Tennessee plays #8 Michigan State in the Peach Bowl, sending the Vols right back to Atlanta.

12/31 vs Michigan State
Michigan State had their chance to dethrone Ohio State in the Big 10 and missed it. That conference belongs to Urban Meyer now and the best Michigan State can do is a game like this. But that doesn’t mean the Spartans are a bad team. It seems every year they run the ball well and play pretty good defense. Tennessee may be young, but they do have experience in bowl games and this will be their opportunity to grow from their loss against Alabama. This game could go either way, but being in Atlanta is too close to home for the Vols to not be considered a home game. Dobbs finished his junior season strong and Curt Maggitt ends his career as a Vol a Peach Bowl Champion. Vols win 31-28.

Tennessee finishes the 2015 season 12-2 and ranked #9 with another top 5 recruiting class lined up for 2016.

Reactions: 33 people
Honestly, when I first started this I thought I would have us losing to Oklahoma and Georgia as well. But the more I looked at their rosters and who they were losing compared to who we are getting and how much better we should be, I just couldn't justify it. We should be all accounts win those games barring some crazy injuries or something. Anyways, read it, enjoy it, troll it. Whatever. I just wanted to write it out. :)

Reactions: 3 people
8-4 and 5-3 in the SEC. Tennessee will go to the Outback Bowl and play Michigan State,Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Reactions: 9 people

Bowling Green won their division in the MAC the last two seasons in a row, beating NIU in 2013, then losing to NIU in 2014. They just added a new defensive coordinator in Brian Ward who won a coach of the year award in 2009 at the NAIA level. So what does all the mean? It makes a cupcake team look better on paper. Dobbs should have a field day and I expect both Kamara and Hurd will collect close to 100 rushing yards. Vols win 42-13 to start 1-0 and #20 in the AP.

If Tennessee had a decent offensive line, the Vols may have had a chance in this matchup last season (as is the theme for many losses in 2014). In 2015, the offensive line should be much improved and fans should get to see Joshua Dobbs reall tested. Oklahoma will still have a lot of playmakers including Sterling Shepard and Eric Striker, both of which had their way with Tennessee last season. But an improved offensive line mixed with an elusive quarterback in Dobbs could be exactly what makes this season different from the last. Throw in a Vols defensive line ready to showcase their talent and it should be a very different game from last year. If this game were in Norman again, I would be tempted to go with the Sooners. But it’s not. Vols win 31-21 and get a bump up to #18 in the AP poll.

9/19 vs Western Carolina
Unfortunately for the Catamounts (yes that’s their name if you didn’t know), they are coming to Neyland Stadium to get their butts kicked. To put this game in to perspective, Western Carolina lost to UTC last season 51-0 – the same UTC that Tennessee played and easily handled in Neyland Stadium last season. With early scores and defensive turnovers, this game could get ugly fast. Vols win 52-14 and remain at #18 (unless someone big loses).

9/26 @ Florida
This was the only game of the season I predicted incorrectly last year. And my prediction is remaining the same. Jim McElwain may end up bringing Florida back to elite status, but it’s not happening in 2015. It’s been over 10 years since Tennessee beat Florida, and it will be all the sweeter to end the streak on their field. I expect this game to be extremely physical and even a little chippy. Tennessee’s defensive front will have a field day collecting at least 4 sacks. And the trio of Dobbs, Kamara, and Hurd will be more than Florida’s defense can handle. Vols win 35-13 and improve to 4-0 as well as being bumped to #17 in the AP.

10/3 vs. Arkansas
This could be Tennessee’s first game versus a ranked opponent and maybe even a potential ESPN Gameday location. This game could be a clash of the running backs with Arkansas’ Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins going head to head with Tennessee’s Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara. This game could potentially showcase four future NFL running backs. The difference is Tennessee will also be showcasing talent at several other positions. While I do believe Arkansas is a worthy adversary, I don’t see the Vols losing this one at home. Vols win 27-17 and get a nice bump in the AP to #14.

10/10 vs Georgia
Tennessee has had Georgia’s number for several years. Had Justin Worley not been injured in last season’s game and missed an entire quarter, it’s very possible Tennessee could have won. And although Todd Gurley will be gone, they barely miss a step with rising star Nick Chubb – arguably the best back in the SEC, if not the entire country. Both Chubb and Sony Michel make a great one-two punch for Georgia, but whoever takes over at quarterback for Hutson Mason will likely have some growing pains to go through. And against this Tennessee defense, it’s hard to see less than 2 interceptions and a few sacks going down. Georgia should have a decent season and will likely be somewhere around #12 when they come to Knoxville having gone undefeated until losing to Alabama the week prior to playing Tennessee. But Georgia will not be up to the task of stealing one in Neyland. Vols win 35-31 staying undefeated (6-0) and getting a bump to #11 in the AP poll.

10/17
BYE

10/24 @ Alabama
Losing TJ Yeldon, Blake Sims, and Amari Cooper seems like a lot, but for Alabama it’s just another year for some new star to step up (maybe someone from those three #1 recruiting classes). But early games against Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia, Arkansas, and Texas A&M should give a better gauge at how good this Alabama team will be with those new stars. I expect this game to be extremely close and honestly wouldn’t be surprised with an upset, but only because it’s in Tuscaloosa I’m taking the Tide – handing Tennessee their first loss of the season. Alabama wins 31-30 and Tennessee’s rating takes a hit down to #15.

10/31 @ Kentucky
Believe it or not, I believe UK is getting better. And I think Mark Stoops is the answer for the Wildcats to at least be more than the SEC’s punching bag. That being said, they are still Kentucky. Patrick Towles is a decent quarterback if he can stay consistent throughout the whole season. And their defensive line is absolutely massive. But too much talent and better coaching will win this game for the Vols. Vols win 35-14 moving to 7-1 on the year and maintaining the #15 spot in the rankings.

11/7 vs South Carolina
Steve Spurrier. What a guy, right? I’m sure he still has a bad taste in his mouth the way his team lost to the Vols the last two years in a row. But with Dylan Thompson gone, the Gamecocks’ best talent will remain Pharoh Cooper, which isn’t a bad talent to have. But if you want to beat Tennessee in 2015, you need more than an Egyptian man-god. Vols win 42-27 and get a slight move to #14 in the rankings.

11/14 vs North Texas
North Texas went 4-8 last season in the Conference USA and they didn’t exactly live up to their “Mean Green” name. Don’t be surprised if Tennessee plays a backup QB the second half *cough* Dormady! *Cough cough* Vols win 51-14 and stay at #14 in the rankings.

11/21 @ Mizzou
Mizzou has been the odd-ball of the SEC East the last two seasons. They keep winning when they shouldn’t! I didn’t know how they would beat Tennessee last season, but it was my preseason prediction (although offsides on that onside kick was garbage). With star defensive ends Shane Ray and Markus Golden off the NFL, the Tigers will lose some talent on defense. Maty Mauk will return at QB for Mizzou, but that isn’t saying much since he isn’t exactly the prettiest thing to look at on the field. I see a very good defensive game for the Vols and possibly a special teams touchdown just for fun. Vols win 28-21 moving to 10-1 and slide up the rankings to #11.

11/28 vs Vandy
If Vanderbilt loses to Western Kentucky to start the season, Derek Mason will have an uphill battle to keep his job. With only two or three potential wins on the schedule, I don’t see it happening. And if you were wondering, Tennessee is not one of those potential wins. Vols win 42-21 and hit #10 in the polls.

This puts Tennessee at 11-1 (7-1) on the season, finishing at #10 in the regular season and winning the SEC East, setting the state for a rematch of Tennessee vs Alabama in Atlanta.

By now, Lane Kiffin will have Alabama’s offense clicking as if they never missed a beat from 2014. At the same time, Tennessee will be tuned up with playmakers on both sides of the ball. Tennessee will be hungry after such a close loss in Tuscaloosa earlier in the season, but Alabama will likely be playing for a playoff spot with much more on the line. With so much on the line it will come down to youth versus experience – where Alabama has the advantage. Bama wins 38-17.

The loss against Alabama puts Tennessee at 11-2 on the season and a knock down to #13 in the polls, coming in second in the SEC still puts the Vols in a New Year’s Six Bowl game. In this case, I’m going to predict Tennessee plays #8 Michigan State in the Peach Bowl, sending the Vols right back to Atlanta.

12/31 vs Michigan State
Michigan State had their chance to dethrone Ohio State in the Big 10 and missed it. That conference belongs to Urban Meyer now and the best Michigan State can do is a game like this. But that doesn’t mean the Spartans are a bad team. It seems every year they run the ball well and play pretty good defense. Tennessee may be young, but they do have experience in bowl games and this will be their opportunity to grow from their loss against Alabama. This game could go either way, but being in Atlanta is too close to home for the Vols to not be considered a home game. Dobbs finished his junior season strong and Curt Maggitt ends his career as a Vol a Peach Bowl Champion. Vols win 31-28.

Tennessee finishes the 2015 season 12-2 and ranked #9 with another top 5 recruiting class lined up for 2016.

If we somehow go into the SEC Champioship 11-1 with wins over OU, FL, Arky, UGA, Mizzou, and just a 1-point loss to Bama, we'll be top 5 imo.

I'm going to think about this as I fall asleep. That should lead to some nice dreams...

Reactions: 11 people
Oklahoma
Florida

Alabama
Missouri

Alabama and Mizzou are understandable considering they are on the road and both good teams. But its highly unlikely we lose to Oklahoma and Florida.

I know there are alot of psychologically damaged vols fans when when it comes to playing Florida but we will for once be more talented than them this season. We have a QB, they don't. We have an established coach and system, they don't. They'll have a new coach, they will have lost alot of talent to the NFL, and they had a lousy recruiting class. If Tennessee is EVER going to beat Florida, this should be the year. There are NO EXCUSES for losing to this inferior team.

Oklahoma is simply not very good. I'd pick Tennessee to beat them in Norman next year but given that we're playing them in Neyland, I'd say its a slam dunk victory for us. Blowing out Oklahoma in Week 2 will be our coming out party. I think a Iowa-esque performance is in order.

Honestly, when I first started this I thought I would have us losing to Oklahoma and Georgia as well. But the more I looked at their rosters and who they were losing compared to who we are getting and how much better we should be, I just couldn't justify it. We should be all accounts win those games barring some crazy injuries or something. Anyways, read it, enjoy it, troll it. Whatever. I just wanted to write it out. :)

great write-up. I enjoyed it and agree with most of what you wrote. However, I think you give Alabama too much credit. I think we'll be hardpressed to beat them in Tuscaloosa, but I don't see them making it to Atlanta. And even if they do, I'd take us in a rematch. Especially if what you said occurs, where we barely lose to them in Tuscaloosa and run the table everywhere else.

I have Auburn or LSU making it out of the west. I got us winning the east and making it to the playoff.

Alabama and Mizzou are understandable considering they are on the road and both good teams. But its highly unlikely we lose to Oklahoma and Florida.

I know there are alot of psychologically damaged vols fans when when it comes to playing Florida but we will for once be more talented than them this season. We have a QB, they don't. We have an established coach and system, they don't. They'll have a new coach, they will have lost alot of talent to the NFL, and they had a lousy recruiting class. If Tennessee is EVER going to beat Florida, this should be the year. There are NO EXCUSES for losing to this inferior team.

Oklahoma is simply not very good. I'd pick Tennessee to beat them in Norman next year but given that we're playing them in Neyland, I'd say its a slam dunk victory for us. Blowing out Oklahoma in Week 2 will be our coming out party. I think a Iowa-esque performance is in order.

Stop. Just stop.

Stop. Just stop.

Tennessee has been INFERIOR to Florida (in terms of talent) for the last 10 years. That why we've kept losing. Throw in some bad luck cause even when your roster is inferior, some teams can still win games.

Next year should be the first time we're CLEARLY the better team. If Butch Jones loses to Florida next year, we'll have to question whether he has what it takes to win the big games. Losing to Florida next season is INEXCUSABLE (as long as Dobbs is healthy).

Reactions: 2 people
Droves come out and predict 8 blow out wins and 10-12 total. The team then proceeds to win 6-8 games, and reminds people of reality. People then predict in two more years we'll be ready to win national championships, despite the fact we haven't won our division, much less the conference title, in nearly a decade.

Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee has been INFERIOR to Florida (in terms of talent) for the last 10 years. That why we've kept losing. Throw in some bad luck cause even when your roster is inferior, some teams can still win games.

Next year should be the first time we're CLEARLY the better team. If Butch Jones loses to Florida next year, we'll have to question whether he has what it takes to win the big games. Losing to Florida next season is INEXCUSABLE (as long as Dobbs is healthy).

Again. Just stop. 4-8 Florida was not a better team than us. The 2014 Florida team that lost to SC and got humiliated by Mizzou was not a better team than us.

Look all the way back to 2007 even, Tennessee was legit enough to win the East, yet annihilated by Florida.

Florida just has our number at this point. This is a mental game and they start out with a MAJOR advantage in the mental aspect every time we play them.

Again. Just stop. 4-8 Florida was not a better team than us. The 2014 Florida team that lost to SC and got humiliated by Mizzou was not a better team than us.

Look all the way back to 2007 even, Tennessee was legit enough to win the East, yet annihilated by Florida.

Florida just has our number at this point. This is a mental game and they start out with a MAJOR advantage in the mental aspect every time we play them.
Next season is as good as any to break that mental advantage they have on us. It also appears we will have noticeably better talent across the whole board. I know the game is in the swamp, but they will be ripe for the taking considering they will still be breaking in new systemsl

Reactions: 2 people

Until Tennessee actually beats Florida then Florida will always be a predicted loss.

Yes they were. We were only 5-7 that year, so it wasn't like we were world-beaters either. Its the vol fan in you that thinks we were better than Florida at any point in the last 10 years. Florida consistently had better recruiting classes than us. Florida consistently sent more players to the pros. Florida consistenly had better athletes up and down their roster. Don't let the Muschamp era cloud your mind. The only reason Florida struggled the last 2 years is because they didn't have a QB. They had SEC championship caliber talent everywhere else.

2015 will be the first time in a long time when we would have outrecruited Florida for 2 straight seasons. It would be the first time you could argue that we have athletes all across the board that are as good if not better than the athletes Florida's got. Next year is really the first year in over 10 years we can say WITHOUT ORANGE COLORED GLASSES, that we should beat Florida.

Reactions: 4 people
Until Tennessee actually beats Florida then Florida will always be a predicted loss.

Remember when Alabama couldn't beat Tennessee for so many years during the late 90s/early 00s. What happened to that? Nick Saban got to Alabama and he started recruiting better players. We haven't been able to beat them since.

Football isn't about voodoo or mental games. Its about PLAYERS. And at the end of the day, Florida simply had better players than Tennessee for the last decade. They consistently out-recruited us and sent more players to the pros. It wasn't until the last 2 years that we have infused talent on our roster that is CLEARLY better than Florida.

Our players don't know or remember anything about the last 10 years. All they know is that they were more highly touted and desired coming out of high school than the kids playing on Florida. I doubt they have any mental roadblocks.

Reactions: 7 people

Hogwash.

Wake up snd smell the coffee. CBJ has instilled a new culture on the hill.

Gators going down! :dance2:

9/19 vs Western Carolina

9/26 @ Florida

10/3 vs. Arkansas

10/10 vs Georgia

10/17
BYE

10/24 @ Alabama

10/31 @ Kentucky

11/7 vs South Carolina

11/14 vs North Texas

11/21 @ Mizzou

11/28 vs Vandy

12/31 vs Michigan State

Nice job, but I don't know how you can pick the Vols to win at UF. They still have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. Couple that with this fact that UT has been destroyed at big road venues under Butch ant the fact we don't even know who will start at QB for them. There are too many uncertainties for you to predict the Vols to blow them out at this point. I would love to see it, but until UT proves they can go on the road to a hostile environment and win, UF still gets the nod.

Feckless until proven competent:

BGSU- W

Oklahoma- L

WC- W

Florida- L

Arkansas- L

Georgia- L

Alabama- L

Kentucky- W

USCe- W

North Texas- W

Mizzou- L

Vandy- W

The take home is that Butch's 3-0 record vs Spurrier proves he's a much better coach than Fulmer ever was.

Last edited:

BGSU- W

Oklahoma- L

WC- W

Florida- L

Arkansas- L

Georgia- L

Alabama- L

Kentucky- W

USCe- W

North Texas- W

Mizzou- L

Vandy- W

The take home is that Butch's 3-0 record vs Spurrier proves he's a much better coach than Fulmer ever was.

We Lose to the Hogs Dawgs and bama but still win the East and this young team grows up and beats bama in the SEC Championship game and we win the bowl game and go 11 and 3 and finish rated number 7 in the final rankings and be a top 5 ranked team when the 2016 season kickoff gets here.:rock:

Defense wise UF has been much more talented than us for quite some time.

BGSU- W

Oklahoma- L

WC- W

Florida- L

Arkansas- L

Georgia- L

Alabama- L

Kentucky- W

USCe- W

North Texas- W

Mizzou- L

Vandy- W

Attachments

• 10649526_10202692251929330_5722251263908903895_n.jpg
    10649526_10202692251929330_5722251263908903895_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back