Is Ga Tech in 2017 going to happen?

Volngeorgia

I've seen several stories saying thar it will after the paperwork is signed.
Vols would be playing Tech to open the Falcons new stadium.
I know some people are afraid of Techs running game, but as an opener we would have all of August to prepare.

Reactions: 3 people
It would probably be great for recruiting. I wouldn't mind going to see a game there to open. We have some great openers coming up!

Reactions: 1 person
I've seen several stories saying thar it will after the paperwork is signed.
Vols would be playing Tech to open the Falcons new stadium.
I know some people are afraid of Techs running game, but as an opener we would have all of August to prepare.

I'm more afraid of our guys getting hurt by cut blocks than I am of that gimmicky crap. We should never schedule a team that is less talented and runs the triple option, it will only get guys hurt. See 2006.

Reactions: 14 people
I hope Tennessee plays GT in 2017. GT will have a strong veteran team like last season and will give UT all they want and maybe come away with an upset.

Last edited:
Look at the record of teams the week after they play GaTech or Navy - not a smart move.

Down here in Atlanta, the media claim that Tech has a bad record in meaningful openers, teams with two weeks to prepare, and bowl games because the extra practice time really helps the other team.
Now, if you're saying a lot of players get hurt against Tech and lose the following week, I've never heard that.
But, you may be right.

Look at the record of teams the week after they play GaTech or Navy - not a smart move.

Game will likely be on a Monday and we'll have either a 1-AA team or an off week the week after.

With an offseason to prep for the option, I'm not concerned.

I'm more afraid of our guys getting hurt by cut blocks than I am of that gimmicky crap. We should never schedule a team that is less talented and runs the triple option, it will only get guys hurt. See 2006.

Really? You blaming Inky's open field pass play hit on the offensive scheme?

I would like to hear this explained. :unsure:

That'd definitely be a game I wouldn't mind attending. Probably be college GameDay there also, good coverage, good game, good women, and good beer.

Don't want...mainly due to the buyout police whip factor. :glare:

That's not what he's saying. He is saying that Georgia Tech is known for laying down a bunch of dirty cut blocks by their offensive line. It's how they successfully run the triple option so well. It ends up getting a lot of defensive lineman hurt. They are legal blocks as long as the defensive lineman is not engaged against another offensive lineman, it's just a dirty play and dangerous.

That's not what he's saying. He is saying that Georgia Tech is known for laying down a bunch of dirty cut blocks by their offensive line. It's how they successfully run the triple option so well. It ends up getting a lot of defensive lineman hurt. They are legal blocks as long as the defensive lineman is not engaged against another offensive lineman, it's just a dirty play and dangerous.

Cut blocks are neither illegal nor dirty, so get your terminology straight.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't believe that I used "Inky Johnson" anywhere in my post, nor was I referring that horrible situation. I meant that I don't like guys getting hit low and banged up. The SEC is physical enough, and starting the season with your front 7 beat up is not a recipe for success.

I don't believe that I used "Inky Johnson" anywhere in my post, nor was I referring that horrible situation. I meant that I don't like guys getting hit low and banged up. The SEC is physical enough, and starting the season with your front 7 beat up is not a recipe for success.

That game was against Air Force too, I believe. Nothing to to with GT.

Playing an option team or even an old school power run team (ex: Ark) is scary in that it's so different from the current offenses most teams run, but I'd love to play GA Tech. It's a historical match-up that I've never had the opportunity to watch in my lifetime. Also as the OP mentioned, playing them as an opener would give us plenty of prep time. I'd love it.

Vol's may be ready by 2017 to challenge very good out of conference teams such as Georgia Tech, but I'm not sure this is the smartest of scheduling moves, are you?

VN Store

Back