Is our personnel more suited for a 3-4 defense?

Oh man, this thread has been made like every year for as long as I can remember. I thought the Sunseri disaster had finally killed it. More proof VN never learns.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah. Let's wait until we finally get things headed in the right direction and change the freakin' defense.

Butch's got this. Sit back and enjoy the ride. He'll call you if he needs you.

Reactions: 3 people
3 - 4 defense will always be associated with Sal Sunseri and the son of Barbara Dooley telling everyone his team needs to eat more fried chicken and get fat.

I think UTAD should make it a permanent interview question and reject any candidate who suggests 3 - 4 as viable. That goes for the swim coach too.

Give me Chief's 4 - 3 any freakin' day and twice on Saturday, thanks.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes some of the personnel would fit that system. If they were all freshmen that would have time to learn it and be effective their junior and senior years. That is if we HAD to install a new defense due to complete coaching change.

We came in at 37th in total defense last year and return 8 starters and like all our backups. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: 1 person
I mean khalil would make an ideal nose tackle and barnett at end. Maggitt and JRM fit the 3-4 mold aswell.

What in the name of all that is holy would make you come up with that question. While we are at it we could go single wing on offense maybe our players are better suited for that as well.

Somebody obviously missed a year of sir sal! Ugh, my stomach still quivers thinking about it.

I have cold sweat nightmares remembering Sal's stay.....giving up 70 yards or more 20 plus times. Those stats are close, maybe not precise, because I have tried to blot that out of my memory.

Due to Saban's success, there was a mystique that grew up around the 3-4. Those following the piper fail(ed) to realize that you need very unique personnel to play that scheme and their aren't many with those natural attributes. If you can't recruit them then you have to develop them which takes longer than the 4-3.

Also, the 3-4 isn't the mystery it was just a few years ago. tOSU demonstrated that pretty well vs Bama this year. They matched their personnel and suddenly the scheme wasn't that daunting. Bama succeeds more because of great talent than the 3-4.

This team has nowhere near the type of talent needed for a 3-4 at LB.

Got a bunch of good run and pursue guys but they would get blown up on the edges in the run.

JRB is listed at 210 lbs as an example. Good player, not big enough to plug in at 3-4 IMO.

Bama doesn't have a single LB in their current 1st team depth chart under 250 lbs.

Last edited:
No, we have monster DTs and a fantastic end combo.

In fact, the part of our defense that stands to be weakened are the LBs.

3-4 is an excellent defense style. However, it requires speedy LBs who can blitz and play coverage.

4-3 is better IMO. A powerful DLine can simply overwhelm most OLines, and LBs can still blitz to add pressure.

Now, if you can get a NT plus two ends who can be just as effective as 2 DTs, YES DEFINITLY. There is little reason to sacrifice speed for power. However, this is usually not the case and 3 men cannot stand up to 4-5 men.

With the powerful OLines the SEC has, 4-3 is a must.

VN Store

Back