2015 247 RANKING

TN(3rd)
UGA(8th)
USC(18th)
UF(21st)
MIZZ(23rd)
UK(38th)
VANDY(42nd)

Based on that I think it appears we are very close to becoming the top team in the east.

Reactions: 2 people
Add in continuity and a clear starter at QB from day one as well as the coaching change at Florida and I think we are sittin' pretty. Also UGA has to play bama I believe.

Add in KMac, Tuttle and the other beasts coming in to help our D line rotation and that alone should add 2 more Wins next season IMHO.

Football time in Tennessee can't get here quick enough!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I didn't see any other good source of age but it was late and it wasn't crucial info. Looks to be too many underclassmen on the roster though yall are right.

Even if they were all redshirts, would seem awfully high in age. Avg HS senior is 18. So college freshman = 19. Redshirt freshman = 20. RS soph = 21. RS junior = 22. RS senior = 23. The whole team would have to be, on AVERAGE, a bunch of RS seniors for 23.0 to be the team's average age.

Only other possibility is a ton of the players went off to do something else between HS and college...3 year stint in the military, or a year sabbatical for religious activity (happens at lot with BYU students), or something like that. But it would have to be a LOT of this to get the average age up to 23.

I think something is wonky in CBSsports' database. That seems more likely, on the face of it. And once the database comes into question, makes you wonder about Florida's average age, too....

Our offensive numbers are a little surprising as they are lower than I thought. Of course, we got sacked a ton in the first part of the season and Dobbs had not come in. It makes me curious about Bajakian leaving again. It seems we have a lot of room to improve and Debord may be able to pull off a huge jump.

Reactions: 1 person
Even if they were all redshirts, would seem awfully high in age. Avg HS senior is 18. So college freshman = 19. Redshirt freshman = 20. RS soph = 21. RS junior = 22. RS senior = 23. The whole team would have to be, on AVERAGE, a bunch of RS seniors for 23.0 to be the team's average age.

Only other possibility is a ton of the players went off to do something else between HS and college...3 year stint in the military, or a year sabbatical for religious activity (happens at lot with BYU students), or something like that. But it would have to be a LOT of this to get the average age up to 23.

I think something is wonky in CBSsports' database. That seems more likely, on the face of it. And once the database comes into question, makes you wonder about Florida's average age, too....

I agree it does seem high but a lot of athletes these days are also being held back. Not crazy for some kids to turn 19 their senior year. Still though I see your point.

It really wasn't that important though. I was just trying to show we were young last year and finished top four in both offense and defense. We return far more starters than anyone but VANDY and we are recruiting at a much higher level than everyone but UGA. Throw in that the yearly thorn in our side (UF) has just had a coaching change and it's a good time to be a vol.

But now look at this. I counted 69 redshirts.

https://missouri.rivals.com/croster.asp

It is they are huge proponents of the red shirt, especially for non skill position players.

They would pretty much have to very heavily be RS Seniors, Seniors to statistically push an average that much in thatdirection.

I'm only seeing about 13 RS SRs and 3 pure seniors, out of around 106 total.

Even throwing in RS juniors (which would only work if they were all players took a year off before redshirting or were an FBS transfer that had previously redshirt, so it's unlikely)...that'd be about 18 RS Jrs, giving you maybe about 43 out of 106 players total (40%)...but that, again, would also have to mean every RS junior either came into college a year late or redshirted and took a year off, which seems unlikely.

(Not to mention, it takes much more than 40% to skew an average that far to a side.)

They would pretty much have to very heavily be RS Seniors, Seniors to statistically push an average that much in thatdirection.

I'm only seeing about 13 RS SRs and 3 pure seniors, out of around 106 total.

Even throwing in RS juniors (which would only work if they were all players took a year off before redshirting or were an FBS transfer that had previously redshirt, so it's unlikely)...that'd be about 18 RS Jrs, giving you maybe about 43 out of 106 players total (40%)...but that, again, would also have to mean every RS junior either came into college a year late or redshirted and took a year off, which seems unlikely.

(Not to mention, it takes much more than 40% to skew an average that far to a side.)

Maybe they are including the coaching staff in the average hahaha

Maybe it was average age of their starters?

Not sure that's right either.

Only about 9 of their 22 starters (40%) on the depth chart are RS Seniors. (If I include the holder and long snapper, 10 of 24 so 41%. If Murphy is counted multiple times for special teams, 12 of 26 so 46%.)

They only have had about 13 RS Srs and only about 11 at most looked to be starters.

Our offensive numbers are a little surprising as they are lower than I thought. Of course, we got sacked a ton in the first part of the season and Dobbs had not come in. It makes me curious about Bajakian leaving again. It seems we have a lot of room to improve and Debord may be able to pull off a huge jump.

Outside of the South Carolina, Kentucky, and Iowa games, our offense really struggled. What is surprising to me is that 87th in the nation was still good enough for 4th in the SEC East. Talk about some bad offenses.

The problem with this working here is that - among the college players age range - 23, 24 (and very rarely 25) are upper end outliers...meaning they're both upper end/pretty much the ceiling and much more uncommon to find than the bulk of the average range.

As such - with averages - the only way for it to work that way would require that it almost entirely be those top numbers (so almost an entire team of 23-24 years olds)...and there's clearly too many FR/SO for that to be true.

Not to mention 7 RS SO starting on their depth chart, a pure SO, 2 JRs, and 6 RS JRs...those would all likely pull back down their average from that far to the right.

Though I also have to admit that I haven't looked at the age combining all (which could unlikely, but feasibly skew their data a bit since they played an extra game...meaning Alabama's would also be skewed higher and slightly Vanderbilt's lower), nor have I looked at any sort of overall plays.

So on another note, does anyone have a list of coaching changes in the east? I would think we come out at least even with most in turnover with the Debord hire not changing much. It is shaping up to be Tennessee and Georgia running the east.

VN Store

Back