Rank 'Em -- Who Are the Playmaker? (Offense)

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
On any given play, some of your players will have more important roles than other players. Like this typical sweep play, where high numbers and vivid orange = more important roles for the play:

typicalsweep-roleimportancevalues.png

Who get to play the biggest roles changes, from play to play. That's part of the challenge of being a great play caller / coordinator, is knowing your players and how likely they are to perform well on a given play, and calling the play that maximizes chance of success.

Taking this concept as the base ... who are the dependable playmakers (all positions) on the offensive side of the ball? What guys do you want filling those spots numbered 10, 9, or 8?

What's your "dependability" list look like for the Vols O ?

When the game is on the line, say 3:00 left in the game or on a critical 3rd down, I'm making sure the ball is in the hands of (besides dobbs):
Jalen Hurd (he WILL carry the pile)
Pig Howard (most dependable WR on team)
Marquez North ( goes up for all balls, comes down with most if accurate pass)

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks, VolBalla, me too on the ball handlers. Who do you want in position to make the key blocks for those three? I'm thinking Mack Crowder for one. EDIT: Oh, and Ethan Wolf.

It's okay, Soda. :)

Last edited:
I've seen jashon in the second level more than most linemen. He's who I send on a pull

Which is a funny coincidence, because he played RG all this past year, which is the position pulling in the generic sweep play drawn up above. :)

So your list looks like: Dobbs, Hurd, Howard, North, Robertson. Any others high on the list?

I'd add Pearson, Wolf, Crowder, I think, but definitely like everyone on your version.

Since we lost almost as many as we won this past season I'm not sure who knows. All I know is Dobb's made this past year a 500 season. He's the only one I could name. RB position is limited since Jalen was not durable. Kamara I have hope he's going to rock. If Jalen can stay healthy he will roll.
This is the big season for CBJ. Should win 10 with all the hype and great recruiting. I think most of us will be somewhat unhappy with 7-5 or 8-4.:number1::3cheers::bammer:

On any given play, some of your players will have more important roles than other players. Like this typical sweep play, where high numbers and vivid orange = more important roles for the play:

Who get to play the biggest roles changes, from play to play. That's part of the challenge of being a great play caller / coordinator, is knowing your players and how likely they are to perform well on a given play, and calling the play that maximizes chance of success.

Taking this concept as the base ... who are the dependable playmakers (all positions) on the offensive side of the ball? What guys do you want filling those spots numbered 10, 9, or 8?

That's a Mike DeBord Spread Offense if I ever saw one. Gonna run it all over OU 9/12/15. 119

With Butch wanting MD to create mismatches. I'm going with Croom for my top playmaker this year. Not so much with huge games, but I count on him being a red zone monster.

Reactions: 1 person

Out of curiosity where did that diagram come from?

I find it odd that they're trying to block the DE with a pulling guard.

With Butch wanting MD to create mismatches. I'm going with Croom for my top playmaker this year. Not so much with huge games, but I count on him being a red zone monster.

Throw that OU end-zone pass right back to him this year on 9/12 -- I have faith.

Ha! You found my weak spot. I drew the play up, and when I did I said to myself, "no way this guy pulls and gets over here in time, unless the DE is a weaker player and our TE brush-blocks really well on his way to the LB. But you're right, it's not a well designed play...you'll notice I've got the guard blocking him to the INSIDE, which totally fails, timing would have to put him pushing the DE out and the RB shooting inside. But then, I never thought of myself as a play designer, so it's all good. :)

Ha! You found my weak spot. I drew the play up, and when I did I said to myself, "no way this guy pulls and gets over here in time, unless the DE is a weaker player and our TE brush-blocks really well on his way to the LB. But you're right, it's not a well designed play...you'll notice I've got the guard blocking him to the INSIDE, which totally fails, timing would have to put him pushing the DE out and the RB shooting inside. But then, I never thought of myself as a play designer, so it's all good. :)

I think you also need to consider down and distance, it will change the situation on how the DE will react to LT releasing from the line.

I think you also need to consider down and distance, it will change the situation on how the DE will react to LT releasing from the line.

Yeah, like I said, not = play designer. That strawman is just there to help explain the concept of some players having a more important role in certain plays than others (like, the right WR has very limited impact on a sweep to the left, so you don't need to make sure you have a solid playmaker there). That's all that diagram is meant to communicate...plus I was just having fun moving Xs and Os around on a power point chart, heh. HOW MANY DAYS LEFT TILL FOOTBALL????!?

No kidding, he had better be able to get around the to that end very quick. Im guessing that he gets chipped to slow him down by the player that blocked the OLB.

Last edited:
Guys, I literally spent more time making the Xs and Os than I did making up the play. It doesn't mean anything as a play, just meant to communicate an idea about different roles being more or less importance from play to play. :)

I don't blame you for getting bogged down in whether the play would work, though...you're just showing February football withdrawal symptoms, heh. :)

WRs should be Pearson (500 yds 5 TDS) , North (breakout year? 900 yds 10 , and Pig (500 yds 2 TDs)
RB: Tandem of Hurd and Kamara and hopefully each can get around 750 yards of total offense.
QB: Dobbs, Hoping for around 2400 yards passing and 400 rushing. Hopefully 35 total TDs.

This production would vault us into a very great year. This numbers may not be right but i can hope.

Yeah, I'm hoping Dobbs becomes that dependable. I think he already is as a ball handler and possible runner. And he is USUALLY that dependable as a field general. Just hoping he becomes 'money' as a passer as well.

Guys, I literally spent more time making the Xs and Os than I did making up the play. It doesn't mean anything as a play, just meant to communicate an idea about different roles being more or less importance from play to play. :)

I don't blame you for getting bogged down in whether the play would work, though...you're just showing February football withdrawal symptoms, heh. :)

The X's and O's will suffice, not sure about the play.

VN Store

Back