247 Audio: Sky is the Limit for Joshua Dobbs

perico

"Thenneshee willsh be bath..."- Dr. Lou Holtz
JC Shurburtt:

It's no secret I've always been high on Dobbs. As a recruit, I said that Dobbs would be a program-changer for Butch Jones and staff. When he took over the starting job as a true freshman, I mentioned that his game reminded me of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

Those bits of hype aside, Dobbs began to show why much was expected of him toward the end of the 2014 season as Tennessee finishe 7-6 and with a ton of momentum heading into 2015, when the Vols realistically should contend for the SEC East.

Audio is linked at the page:
Audio: The sky is the limit for Josh Dobbs

Reactions: 9 people
I hope so, he is one player that I hope doesn't graduate this fall...I don't want him to leave for his senior season...

Reactions: 3 people
I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but that he is a tremendous athlete...system fit or not.

Simply put...if butch names him qb from day one, imo we play in Atlanta. That's what one dumb decision can mean.

Let's not take for granted he'll be named starter heading into next season

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I hope so, he is one player that I hope doesn't graduate this fall...I don't want him to leave for his senior season...

I don't think we will have to worry about that, regardless of whether he shows out next year or not.

I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but the generalis a ttremendous athlete...system fit or not.

Simply put...if butch names him qb from day one, imo we play in Atlanta. That's what one dumb decision can mean.

Take it for granted he is the starter day one baring injury. He is the only QB on our roster who has taken an SEC snap, he starts if for no more reason than that, but there are a myriad of reasons why he starts and they are all good.

Reactions: 1 person
It was a parent thing, they wanted him redshirted last year. Of course that was before we lost 1 QB because of being stupid, and the beat down JW took while his offense was on the job practicing.

Reactions: 2 people
I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but the generalis a ttremendous athlete...system fit or not.

No, we wouldn't have gone to Atlanta. Vol fans can be so delusional.

Reactions: 18 people

That's a solid point but only works if you completely ignored every single report on the qb's during last year's spring, summer and fall camps

He obviously can be a mover and a shaker but a big if can he make the throw to beat a team that has him corralled? Hope so! :hi:

That's a solid point but only works if you completely ignored every single report on the qb's during last year's spring, summer and fall camps

Well I watched the spring game and Dobbs was pretty solid. As to what transpired at fall practice, who knows. But I think butch made the decision based on the future and ignored what was best today. The problem with that strategy is that Dobbs still has two more years even after playing this season...and when you're trying to change a culture, you don't just straight out throw a season.
I think butch went with the whole Dobbs is bad at practice because it was obvious to every person in the universe that he should have been our qb from day one. And if he had we'd probably be a top 25 team and had beaten some of our rivals.

Dobbs coulda,-woulda'-shoulda' been RSed last year (and his practice tendancies revealed this), ain't no way UT would've ended up in Atlanta with that O-line and, barring injury, his starting position is set in stone.

Reactions: 7 people

Yeah I'm sure he had no idea..you really think they are that stupid?

Reactions: 3 people
Really? Well if we simply beat Florida...we'd at least have been in it. And if we'd have beaten ugh...we'd have been there. It's not delusion

I honestly can't say there was a single game we definitely would have won last year had Dobbs been the QB.

People like to say we definitely beat Florida with Dobbs. Maybe we do. I could even see where probably we do. But I don't think you can say it for certain. Their defense had as much talent as Missouri's and we saw how Missouri shut him down for most of the game.

Could we have beaten Georgia with Dobbs? Maybe so. It seemed like throws over the middle are what kept us in that game, and that's something Worley seemed much better at than Dobbs.

Of course, many here say that we would have beaten them if Worley had not gotten injured. Could Dobbs not have gotten injured as well? It seems his style makes that more of a risk. Who is to say that if we had started Dobbs earlier that he doesn't get injured for later in the season?

Reactions: 4 people
It was a parent thing, they wanted him redshirted last year. Of course that was before we lost 1 QB because of being stupid, and the beat down JW took while his offense was on the job practicing.

Where did parent's say that?

"Dobbs and Justin Worley, the two quarterbacks vying to be the starter as Tennessee opens preseason practice tonight, each traveled more than 2,000 miles and paid his own way to attend Whitfield's training camp with 14 other college quarterbacks."

UT Vols' Worley, Dobbs had surprise encounter | Local News | Times Free Press

Well I watched the spring game and Dobbs was pretty solid. As to what transpired at fall practice, who knows. But I think butch made the decision based on the future and ignored what was best today. The problem with that strategy is that Dobbs still has two more years even after playing this season...and when you're trying to change a culture, you don't just straight out throw a season.
I think butch went with the whole Dobbs is bad at practice because it was obvious to every person in the universe that he should have been our qb from day one. And if he had we'd probably be a top 25 team and had beaten some of our rivals.

It wasn't Butch reporting on the progress of Dobbs. Amazing how many times this had to be addressed

You really need to get over this and start paying attention to some facts my friend.

All through spring, summer and fall camps it was reported several times that Dobbs was running the ball great but his passing was horrid.

He was consistently throwing the ball either high and way over their heads or way low and in the dirt way in front of them.

You never start a QB that passes in the dirt or way over the WR, TE or RB head consistently!!!

I hated losing to Fla, UGa and the others as much as you or anyone else but at the time JW was our best chance to try to Win and we were just a very few poits away from at least 2 more wins.

You and others on here also need to learn and accept that you'll never know as much about our footVol team as our coaches know.

I honestly hope you can learn to get over your obsessive/compulsive need to mostly post only negative things about our coaches, players and anythng else you can conjure up.

We have solid proof that we're on the way back up and that's a good thing and should make you a happier person, if you're really a Tennessee fan.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 14 people
Where did parent's say that?

"Dobbs and Justin Worley, the two quarterbacks vying to be the starter as Tennessee opens preseason practice tonight, each traveled more than 2,000 miles and paid his own way to attend Whitfield's training camp with 14 other college quarterbacks."

UT Vols' Worley, Dobbs had surprise encounter | Local News | Times Free Press

Yeah, I keep seeing people say here that his parents wanted him red-shirted, but I don't think I've ever seen a citation for it.

Is it one of those volnation things, where it was just an unsubstantiated supposition and then everyone latches onto it and repeats it like a fact simply because it makes a good excuse?

I wish butch would have been able to notice what almost all of the arm chair qbs noticed...which is that Dobbs was the only qb we had that fit his system. And not only does he fit but that he is a tremendous athlete...system fit or not.

If he had started the season, he would have gotten dinged up in the Arkansas State game...destroyed and shattered in the Oklahoma game and practically useless and his career over by the end of the bowl less year...Butch handled it perfectly.

If he had started the season, he would have gotten dinged up in the Arkansas State game...destroyed and shattered in the Oklahoma game and practically useless and his career over by the end of the bowl less year...Butch handled it perfectly.

What he said

He would have to win the Heisman or be.in consideration to risk leaving early IMO and I really don't see him being that good this year. Lead the team to Atlanta? Yes.1st rounder? NO

Dobbs could have played those games like he did against Vandy. He better learn how to throw more accurate, or we ain't beating any good defenses.

We wouldn't be in Atlanta and I bet we wouldn't have played in a bowl. It's been reported dobbs didn't start looking good in practice until 5 or 6 weeks into the season. If we had thrown him out there instead of Worley he probably would have gotten hurt, Worley wouldn't have done enough to get us to a bowl, and butch jones would be on the hot seat. So let's not make such outlandish claims.

VN Store

Back