Another reported assault

That makes me sick to my stomach reading that. You can tell her dad was a big Vol fan by his comments about running through the T. That could be any of us and our families. I obviously have no idea what happened, but I hope to goodness things get straightened out because there are a lot more important things in life than football.

Reactions: 19 people
I would encourage anyone who has been assaulted to bypass the university police and dial 911.

Reactions: 47 people
The Tennessean reporter (Anita Wadhwani) gives considerable scrutiny to the university's handling of this off campus 'incident' and credence to the alleged victim's account of it but seemingly never asked the most obvious question, "If you believe that you were sexually assaulted and you want to see the assailant held accountable for his actions, then why haven't you reported this incident to law enforcement officials?"... The answer to that question doesn't even seem to matter to the reporter (Wadhwani) which makes this article look like it has an agenda of it's own.

Reactions: 41 people
The Tennessean reporter (Anita Wadhwani) gives considerable scrutiny to the university's handling of this off campus 'incident' and credence to the alleged victim's account of it but seemingly never asked the most obvious question, "If you believe that you were sexually assaulted and you want to see the assailant held accountable for his actions, then why haven't you reported this incident to law enforcement officials?"... The answer to that question doesn't even seem to matter to the reporter (Wadhwani) which makes this article look like it has an agenda of it's own.

Did you actually read the article?

The woman said she had chosen to file a complaint only with the university and not police to spare her the ordeal of a more public investigation and in the hopes her alleged assailant would face some form of punishment short of criminal charges.

Reactions: 9 people
I agree. It's a matter for the police, not an organization that exists to educate the population. Her side of the story sounds horrible, but I don't understand how if it was this bad why she didn't go to the police and instead pursued it through a university disciplinary system. It doesn't make sense that she wanted him kicked off the team and out of school as opposed to going to jail. She's either a nut or isn't making good choices on how to handle the matter. IMO more likely the latter.

Reactions: 7 people

The woman said she had chosen to file a complaint only with the university and not police to spare her the ordeal of a more public investigation and in the hopes her alleged assailant would face some form of punishment short of criminal charges.

Yes and that makes no sense. If a person is going to report a crime to anyone, you start with the police. I stand by what I said. Very little scrutiny was given to the fact that the police have not been notified of this incident.

Reactions: 15 people

I wonder who advised her that a complaint with the university would result in a lessor form of punishment. I would think that the legal process could be just as discreet. She can still take the same evidence to the police instead of trying to have a trial in the media.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes and that makes no sense. If a person is going to report a crime to anyone, you start with the police. I stand by what I said. Very little scrutiny was given to the fact that the police have not been notified of this incident.

Two things- you said the reporter didn't ask the question, and it clearly states it right in the article, so "standing by your statement" really means you won't admit it when you are wrong.
Secondly, as someone who started their career as a prosecutor, this woman's reaction is very, VERY typical. Victims often don't want anyone to know that anything happened at all. Imagine how that is magnified if the person you are accusing is a high profile athlete that many on campus (and websites) will rally to their defense.

Reactions: 11 people
Two things- you said the reporter didn't ask the question, and it clearly states it right in the article, so "standing by your statement" really means you won't admit it when you are wrong.
Secondly, as someone who started their career as a prosecutor, this woman's reaction is very, VERY typical. Victims often don't want anyone to know that anything happened at all. Imagine how that is magnified if the person you are accusing is a high profile athlete that many on campus (and websites) will rally to their defense.

Okay, then...if we are splitting hairs - the reporter didn't give scrutiny to a very weak answer as to why the police weren't notified. She didn't ask follow up questions and pursue an answer that is going to satisfy a reasonable person... Now, THIS victim clearly did want someone to be notified of this incident and she wanted her alleged assailant held accountable for what she claims occurred. We have seen how the AJ Johnson case has been handled and have taken note of Butch Jones' swift and thorough handling of the matter. Johnson ( a high profile player) and Williams were immediately suspended. The name of their alleged accuser has not been disclosed and they will have to go through criminal proceedings to defend themselves against allegations which have been taken very seriously from the start. Basically, an accuser's claim of not calling the police because they don't want publicity just doesn't hold water. Neither does expecting a body outside of law enforcement to handle a crime. If she wants her alleged sexual assailant held accountable for his actions, then all she has to do is call the police. He would be suspended immediately pending the investigation from what we have seen from Jones.

Reactions: 14 people
We lose with good kids, everyone wants thugs. We start to get some good momentum and arrests start happening. Everyone complains. God I love this place.

Reactions: 3 people
Okay, then...if we are splitting hairs - the reporter didn't give scrutiny to a very weak answer as to why the police weren't notified. She didn't ask follow up questions and pursue an answer that is going to satisfy a reasonable person... Now, THIS victim clearly did want someone to be notified of this incident and she wanted her alleged assailant held accountable for what she claims occurred. We have seen how the AJ Johnson case has been handled and have taken note of Butch Jones' swift and thorough handling of the matter. Johnson ( a high profile player) and Williams were immediately suspended. The name of their alleged accuser has not been disclosed and they will have to go through criminal proceedings to defend themselves against allegations which have been taken very seriously from the start. Basically, an accuser's claim of not calling the police because they don't want publicity just doesn't hold water. Neither does expecting a body outside of law enforcement to handle a crime. If she wants her alleged sexual assailant held accountable for his actions, then all she has to do is call the police. He would be suspended immediately pending the investigation from what we have seen from Jones.

Only that the id of the accuser in the aj case was leaked here.

Reactions: 1 person

If by splitting hairs you mean you stating that the girl/reporter didn't provide an answer of why she didn't call the police, even though it clearly states why she didn't call the police, then you probably shouldn't talk about the reasonable person standard, because you clearly aren't one.

Reactions: 6 people
While great for TV, SVU has made people react to what a victim "should have done" the complete wrong way. What a victim SHOULD DO is exactly what they want, and nothing more. If a victim wants to go to the police, then the victim will go to the police. Stop telling rape victims what they should do.

Reactions: 12 people
Only that the id of the accuser in the aj case was leaked here.

I didn't know that but still... the rest of what I said is just common sense. If you are the victim of a crime, call the damn police. If you have the strength to notify university officials then speaking to the police should be even easier.

Reactions: 1 person
It's just very strange. She doesn't want the attention that comes with going to the police yet reports it to the university, confronts the accuser at a party, and takes it to the media. I guess she is seeking her own form of justice.

The only assault from the Vols I want to read about in the future is against Alabama, Florida, Georgia, et. al.

Reactions: 3 people
If by splitting hairs you mean you stating that the girl/reporter didn't provide an answer of why she didn't call the police, even though it clearly states why she didn't call the police, then you probably shouldn't talk about the reasonable person standard, because you clearly aren't one.

She gave a stock answer to why alleged abuse victims don't call the police and it just doesn't hold water.

She had the wherewithal to report the incident to the university. She should be able to do the same with the police.

Reactions: 4 people
She gave a stock answer to why alleged abuse victims don't call the police and it just doesn't hold water.

She had the wherewithal to report the incident to the university. She should be able to do the same with the police.

From the sound of it, you know exactly what to do in the event that you get raped. Have you already gotten your Rape merit badge, or do you actually have to live through it in order to be awarded the badge?

VN Store

Back