Cord cutter for Vol and SEC fans...

1725gatorhater

Sling television offers all the ESPN channels including SEC network, ESPN U, and ESPNEWS for an additional $5.00. Several months someone posted they did not add it. I was looking for myself and thought I might help some Vol fans wanting to cut their TV bill down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Sling television offers all the ESPN channels including SEC network, ESPN U, and ESPN for an additional $5.00. Several months someone posted they did not add it. I was looking for myself and thought I might help some Vol fans wanting to cut their TV bill down.

Not a terrible deal for the 20+5 service..but most cord cutters also do Netflix, HuluPlus, and probably Amazon Prime..that would be getting into the 50-60 dollar a month range and there are DirecTV/Dish plans in that price range.

Since I've cut the cord, I've found every UT basketball game online for free..most of the time at this link
SportStream.tv

Reactions: 2 people
I'd pay $25 a month during the season for all ESPN channels as long as you can add and cancel without extra fees. Still a much better deal than cable.

How did you find the 5.00 option? Basic for $20 is not worth it ESPN and ESPN2 only.

Sports Extra
Complete your ESPN experience with the greatest in sports from the U.S. and beyond with SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, and others. Featuring top college sports action in basketball, football, baseball and others. Plus, La Liga soccer with Real Madrid and FC Barcelona on beIN and so much more.

Only $5/mo

Go to www.Sling.com/FreeTrial

Comcast has a new surprise for cord cutters. They have instituted a 300 GB usage limit per month and sell additional blocks for $10 each. We have measured and Netflix and Amazon prime video are 3 to 6 GB per hour depending on the video definition with HD being a true data eater.

It does not take long to reach the limit each month in our family. If we cut the cord the usage will skyrocket. Comcast Internet is fast but they have a system that still gets them paid if we cut the cord.

Truly wonder if cutting the cord and using the sling box would actually cost more.

Reactions: 1 person
For you cord cutters, how to you access network TV: abc, cbs, nbc, fox? Or do you?

Comcast has a new surprise for cord cutters. They have instituted a 300 GB usage limit per month and sell additional blocks for $10 each. We have measured and Netflix and Amazon prime video are 3 to 6 GB per hour depending on the video definition with HD being a true data eater.

It does not take long to reach the limit each month in our family. If we cut the cord the usage will skyrocket. Comcast Internet is fast but they have a system that still gets them paid if we cut the cord.

Truly wonder if cutting the cord and using the sling box would actually cost more.
Sounds like a monopoly. Our Charter is a no contract or non bundle deal for a base price on 30 Mbps is 39.99.

For you cord cutters, how to you access network TV: abc, cbs, nbc, fox? Or do you?

9bd437306232e59de2d3fb4211b30de3.jpg

Reactions: 21 people
Get an antenna. Rural they cost around 100 for a real good outdoor antenna. For city area you can pick up about every channel with an indoor amplified or non amplified antenna for 50 or less. During football season I run them through my Tivo box for additional 12.95 a month.

Last edited:
Not a terrible deal for the 20+5 service..but most cord cutters also do Netflix, HuluPlus, and probably Amazon Prime..that would be getting into the 50-60 dollar a month range and there are DirecTV/Dish plans in that price range.

Since I've cut the cord, I've found every UT basketball game online for free..most of the time at this link
SportStream.tv

This is kinda where I am with the HuluPlus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (which we have because my wife orders something from Amazon pretty much every day :glare: ). Even if the combined cost is about the same as a cable package, I feel like my viewing experience with streaming has been much better than the old flip "through channels until you find something watchable" thing.

There's always a way to find someone streaming a sporting event if you look hard enough, but the quality often leaves much to be desired. For that reason, I'll probably do like oregonvol and get the SlingTV sports package during football season.

HD antenna. I am on the backside of a hill from where the transmission towers are, though, so I don't pick up everything.

Sounds like a monopoly. Our Charter is a no contract or non bundle deal for a base price on 30 Mbps is 39.99.

We get over 60 Mbps with our comcast for $55 roughly. But here is the rub. We pay Comcast for service. Netflix and Amazon pay Comcast so their video isn't bottled up. And finally, we pay Comcast again for the overage amount in the limited data they supply each month when we watch the videos. Sounds like nice business to be when you get paid multiple times to deliver the same product.

No wonder I changed my mind and hope the FCC votes to stop this madness. If there were legitimate alternatives to Comcast Internet service we would have long ago left them. But alas, in my neighborhood they are the only game in town.

Get an antenna. Rural they cost around 100 for an outdoor antenna. For city area you can pick up about every channel with an indoor amplified or non amplified antenna for 50 or less. During football season I run them through my Tivo box for additional 12.95 a month.

Exactly what I do. I love my Tivo. Never going back

I cut the cord almost 10 years ago. I was on the "cutting edge" of the movement, lol. The aerial I purchased at the local Lowe's has been a great friend over that time. We easily pick up all the over-the-air HD channels from 30 miles south in Chattanooga. In all, we have about 18 channels.

We punish Netflix about like a sumo wrestler would a buffet. It's common to have two tv's running it simultaneously. Amazon prime user, too, but much less so. ESPN 3 was my source for Vols games until the SEC net rolled around. Charter keeps the firehose flowing for us and I've seen no threats of limiting my usage.

AV

I use this inside my house here in Portland. I pick up about 30+ channels (mostly Spanish and religous) but also ABCHD, NBCHD, CBSHD, CWHD, FOXHD, MyTV, PBSHD, ION and a few other local channels.

71MMWnRGREL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna - 50 Mile Range: Electronics

For everything else I stream via a computer hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I use any and every stream I can find to and watched all UT's football games the last few years. I also use my sisters Uverse login/password to get access to WatchESPN.

Last edited:

FYI
Sling Box and SlingTV are two very different products. Sling Box connects to your current cable setup and you can access it anywhere in the world via app/roku/pc etc...so it isnt cord cutting unless you buy it and hook it up at a buddys house so you can piggyback his cable online at your house.

When my dad was last stationed in Iraq 6 years ago I had an additional Comcast DVR hooked up to a sling box. It was only for him, he could control the entire DVR from Iraq and watch/record anything he wanted, never missed a Vol game.

FYI
Sling Box and SlingTV are two very different products. Sling Box connects to your current cable setup and you can access it anywhere in the world via app/roku/pc etc...so it isnt cord cutting unless you buy it and hook it up at a buddys house so you can piggyback his cable online at your house.

When my dad was last stationed in Iraq 6 years ago I had an additional Comcast DVR hooked up to a sling box. It was only for him, he could control the entire DVR from Iraq and watch/record anything he wanted, never missed a Vol game.

You are absolutely correct I did mix products. But either product is a Comcast nightmare since the allotted 300 GB includes not only data downloads but uploads as well. They measure both and use the sum of the two as the data total against the 300 GB. For this reason I do not share Plex libraries with my son although we both use Plex. With Plex I could allow my granddaughter to watch movies we owned locally while she was hospitalized. A really nice treat for her and 100 GB more usage on my bill. Got to love Comcast.

VN Store

Back