encouraging piece on Dontavius Blair

kamoshika

The obvious question: Has he progressed enough to warrant a spot in the lineup? One Vol defensive end who faced him every day in practice thinks so.

“That’s my boy,” said Derek Barnett, who earned Freshman All-America recognition after recording 10 sacks his first year on campus. “He gives me a good look in practice. He don’t let me get nothing easy. He gives me scout-team looks but he makes me work for everything.”

Normal progress should have made Blair a better player in December TaxSlayer Bowl workouts than he was in August preseason workouts. Apparently, strides were made.

“He’s improved a bunch,” Barnett told InsideTennessee. “He pushed me, even on the scout team. He’s gotten a lot more physical and he’s more confident. I know next year he’s going to play a big role for our team.”

Blair fact: Vols need him to step up

Reactions: 31 people
We need him bad at LT.

Ideal situation would be:

Blair takes LT and Kendrick backs him up.

Richmond takes RT and Jones backs him up. Richmond takes LT when Blair leaves. Jones takes RT.

Reactions: 19 people
That makes me feel a little better about next year. I wasn't sure what was going to come of him after this redshirt year.

Here's to hoping he does great things this year.

Reactions: 1 person
That makes me feel a little better about next year. I wasn't sure what was going to come of him after this redshirt year.

Here's to hoping he does great things this year.

Best case scenario? He's 1-and-done.

Why? Because at 6'8 and about 3-310 lbs with long arms he's the prototype. If he's one-and-done that means he had a great year. Which would imply UT had a great year.

With Richmond on board, I'm now less concerned as he is a franchise LT where Jones is more of a RT IMO. But I'm just a keyboard yokel.

Reactions: 4 people
From "scout team" to 1st string tackle in SEC- I think not. Richmond will beat him out. Time to quit wishing on Blair.

We need him bad at LT.

Richmond takes RT and Jones backs him up. Richmond takes LT when Blair leaves. Jones takes RT.

Jones has said that experience on the OL matters a lot. Development matters a lot. There are players returning who have spent the time getting experience and developing. Jones calls the OL a "developmental position"... IOW's, it hurts to play young, underdeveloped players on the OL.

J Jones or Richmond IMO will do one of two things. They'll start or they'll RS. Richmond IMO is closer to starting at LT than Jones is anywhere.

I suspect that the OL will be Crowder, Jackson, Kerbyson, and probably Robertson along with either Blair or Richmond at LT. I don't think there's much question about the 3 5th year Srs. LT is open and there may be a very slight possibility that Kerbyson is moved to RG with Thomas or Kendrick at RT allowing Robertson a RS year.

I love the potential of the new guys but they have a ways to go to catch up. Richmond looks physically ready and plays an open position.

Reactions: 3 people
The obvious question: Has he progressed enough to warrant a spot in the lineup? One Vol defensive end who faced him every day in practice thinks so.

“That’s my boy,” said Derek Barnett, who earned Freshman All-America recognition after recording 10 sacks his first year on campus. “He gives me a good look in practice. He don’t let me get nothing easy. He gives me scout-team looks but he makes me work for everything.”

Normal progress should have made Blair a better player in December TaxSlayer Bowl workouts than he was in August preseason workouts. Apparently, strides were made.

“He’s improved a bunch,” Barnett told InsideTennessee. “He pushed me, even on the scout team. He’s gotten a lot more physical and he’s more confident. I know next year he’s going to play a big role for our team.”

Blair fact: Vols need him to step up

That loud swoosh you are hearing is VN sighing with relief. He needs to be an important piece of the OL next season. Interested to see him in the O&W game.

From "scout team" to 1st string tackle in SEC- I think not. Richmond will beat him out. Time to quit wishing on Blair.

Believe it or not... that was Jones' plan when he decided to RS Blair. Blair likely starts if Fulmer is in charge and develops OJT. Jones OTOH takes a longer view of players. He's done it other times as well... investing a year where he could expect a contribution for a year when he can hope for a great contribution.

Maggitt is a good case study. His knee was healed and he could have played in '13... OR he could RS, fully heal his knee, and work on conditioning then come back for two great years.

Reactions: 14 people
Jones has said that experience on the OL matters a lot. Development matters a lot. There are players returning who have spent the time getting experience and developing. Jones calls the OL a "developmental position"... IOW's, it hurts to play young, underdeveloped players on the OL.

J Jones or Richmond IMO will do one of two things. They'll start or they'll RS. Richmond IMO is closer to starting at LT than Jones is anywhere.

I suspect that the OL will be Crowder, Jackson, Kerbyson, and probably Robertson along with either Blair or Richmond at LT. I don't think there's much question about the 3 5th year Srs. LT is open and there may be a very slight possibility that Kerbyson is moved to RG with Thomas or Kendrick at RT allowing Robertson a RS year.

I love the potential of the new guys but they have a ways to go to catch up. Richmond looks physically ready and plays an open position.

Richmond just honestly reminds me of Ju'Wuan James. He's an instant starter.

And Kerbyson needs to move inside. I think he'll provide quality depth at either OG spots. I still don't think he usurps either Jackson or Robertson but if he does, I agree with you and think it's Jackson.

Kendrick is good depth but I'm still thinking there is a reason he never saw the field for any meaningful stretches of time. Until he does, I'll just think he's depth.

I think also unless strides are made Thomas moves to C. He played better there than he did on the exterior and better than Weisman. I think he's our C of the future.

OL and QB will be very interesting races this Spring.

Unless Blair fails miserably, which I doubt after a RS and going against DB in practice everyday, Richmond will work his way into the two deep for playing time. Kendrick is the more likely back-up. Hopefully both DR and JJ get to build up in the S&C and RS.

Believe it or not... that was Jones' plan when he decided to RS Blair. Blair likely starts if Fulmer is in charge and develops OJT. Jones OTOH takes a longer view of players. He's done it other times as well... investing a year where he could expect a contribution for a year when he can hope for a great contribution.

Maggitt is a good case study. His knee was healed and he could have played in '13... OR he could RS, fully heal his knee, and work on conditioning then come back for two great years.

And if Blair had played in 2014 we'd have him for 2015 max. If he played better as the year went on and declared... we're dead in the water for 2015.

If he played well and didn't declare, we have him for 2015 alone.

RSing in 2014 provides security. If Blair rocks out in 2015 and leaves, we have had a great year. If he plays well enough to keep his spot and stays healthy but not well enough to go pro, we have our LT for 2016.

RSing Blair, unless he could start Day 1, was smart.

Reactions: 17 people

I agree with all of this. If CBJ is to be believed, the OL is his development unit. Last year's line was a patchwork hodgepodge at best.

Is DR the 1 player in 1000 that can marry his athletic ability with the smarts needed to play LT in the SEC? Hopefully Blair is serviceable and it gives DR time to develop as Butch sees fit.

A sound long term strategy. Only one problem, a win - starved fan base who is ravenous for victory.

Hey Boy Blunder, he was being red shirted is why he was on the scout team.

Some people

Time will tell. Let's revisit this topic in October. All I have heard about Blair is excuses. I believe CBJ red-shirted him because he wasn't any better than the other lineman. And exactly how did our line play? You get better by being out there against SEC foes in an actual game, not by running the scout team. And as bad as our line looked at times, they actually played better toward the end of the year. I don't think Blair's extra reps on the scout team in December will be enough. Just my opinion- I just don't see him beating out Richmond. Do you think there might have been a mention of instant playing time in the coup of Richmond??

It Blair can hold down the Lt spot and Richmond takes the rt we might just turn 2015s biggest weakness into 2016s biggest stregnth.

We need him bad at LT.

I believe if he is ready and can make the grade that Charles Mosley will be the RT...with Jones as backup...

Richmond at LT behind Blair would be better.:lolabove:

Coleman Thomas, I hope, will never have to play RT again while at UT. He is going to be the next great center and that's where he will be next season. He may even beat out Crowder.:lolabove:

Reactions: 2 people
A sound long term strategy. Only one problem, a win - starved fan base who is ravenous for victory.

OR Butch Jones knew he had at least 2 years of built in good will given his first 2 recruiting classes. Maybe he targeted 2015 or 2016 as the year we explode onto the national scene and wanted to save someone like Blair for that rather than burning a year on 2014 when he knew we were going nowhere. Same could be said for why he wanted to RS Dobbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Dobbs went from SCOUT TEAM QB to starting QB in the SEC and is considered the 2nd best QB coming back behind Prescott at MSU.

They have Blair practicing against the best DE we had last fall. That makes Blair better and the coaches must have figured that he challenged Barnett because Barnett got better and better as the season progressed.

Reactions: 5 people
OR Butch Jones knew he had at least 2 years of built in good will given his first 2 recruiting classes. Maybe he targeted 2015 or 2016 as the year we explode onto the national scene and wanted to save someone like Blair for that rather than burning a year on 2014 when he knew we were going nowhere. Same could be said for why he wanted to RS Dobbs.

I wish you are correct, however I believe Blair was brought in because Tennessees other option at LT last season was a 5th year walk-on. However when Blair got into the weight room and his lifts were so bad in the bench press, squat, and dead lift the coaches were probably like o shet!
They had no choice but to redshirt because his strength and stamina were so bad.

We need him bad at LT.

Ideal situation would be for these guys to form a solid Offensive Line for 2015:

LT: Blair
LG: Jackson
C: Crowder
RG: Robertson
RT: Kendrick
Rotation/backup: Sanders, Kerbyson, Wiesman and Raulerson
Redshirt like they need for SEC Play: J. Jones, Richmond, Coleman Thomas, Hall, and Boulware.

2016:
LT Richmond/Blair
LG:: Wiesman/Sanders
C: Coleman Thomas/Hall
RG: Robertson/Boulware
RT: J. Jones/Kendrick
Redshirt: 2016 Recruits

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Blair has the opportunity, he has his shot right now! He can either do everything in his power to improve every day, what the S & C coaches give him and what he does extra on his own. Eating right, running extra, pushing himself beyond everything or he can fade, he can be a gentle giant and always wonder what if, ala M Pair... Go for it Big Guy! You can do this. You've got 21 months and your chance is done.. Attack like your future depends on it because IT DOES!!

Dobbs went from SCOUT TEAM QB to starting QB in the SEC and is considered the 2nd best QB coming back behind Prescott at MSU.

They have Blair practicing against the best DE we had last fall. That makes Blair better and the coaches must have figured that he challenged Barnett because Barnett got better and better as the season progressed.

I like DAK but I'd rather have Dobbs.

VN Store

Back