Athletic Director Hart and Butch

MDBJJC

Recruiting is fun
Butch was a not a big name when he came to UT. He had success as a head coach but he was not on many radars. Our AD picked him...does Dave Hart get some credit for seeing Butch's talent when others did not?

I think it's still a bit too early to tell, but all indications so far is that Butch is getting it done in the recruiting world. We shall see if he can develop the kids and then see what type of Xs and Os coach...

Hart has had a lot of success wherever he has been the AD. So far his pick on our head football coach is pretty darn good.

Reactions: 20 people
What is this? I thought Hart's title was Bama Dave. No way a Bama fan could luck up and get a diamond in the rough like that right?

From what I've read in VN, he has worked for Bama his entire career and then got sent as a missionary to Knoxville. Amirite?

Reactions: 3 people
Every time I see Hart I can't help thinking about Phil Hartman doing Frankenstein on SNL?

Must be the hair! :)

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture5304-losing-it0.jpg

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture5305-dave-hart-addresses-media-press-conference.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 people
He gets credit when Butch gets us firmly restored as nationally relevant. Butch has not done that yet.

Reactions: 4 people
Butch was a not a big name when he came to UT. He had success as a head coach but he was not on many radars. Our AD picked him...does Dave Hart get some credit for seeing Butch's talent when others did not?

I think it's still a bit too early to tell, but all indications so far is that Butch is getting it done in the recruiting world. We shall see if he can develop the kids and then see what type of Xs and Os coach...

Hart has had a lot of success wherever he has been the AD. So far his pick on our head football coach is pretty darn good.

After being turned down by a dozen others.... hardly Hart's first choice...

Reactions: 6 people

Hart should be getting a hell of a lot more credit than he is. A lot of people seem to just have an innate hatred for the man for no reason.

Reactions: 13 people
Hart should be getting a hell of a lot more credit than he is. A lot of people seem to just have an innate hatred for the man for no reason.

Hart made Tennessee look really bad during the coaching search getting turned down by Strong,Gundy, and then of course the whole Gruden thing. Everyone was laughing at how bad that got, and I think Byron Moore even jokingly tweeted that he would coach them because no one else wanted to.

He got Donnie Tyndall, after he got turned down by Michael White at La Tech. CDT is great but was hit with NCAA allegations almost immediately when he got here. Makes you wonder if Hart didn't do everything he should have when looking into Tyndall.

There was also the ordeal with the track coach who just released those girls on scholarship right when she got hired, which was bad.

I'm really glad UT has the coaches they do, but it's hard for me to credit Hart when these guys fell in his lap.

Maybe Hart is good at hiring coaches. Just let him tell his top 2, then go with the third guy.

Reactions: 6 people
Hart made Tennessee look really bad during the coaching search getting turned down by Strong,Gundy, and then of course the whole Gruden thing. Everyone was laughing at how bad that got, and I think Byron Moore even jokingly tweeted that he would coach them because no one else wanted to.

Who's fault was it no one wanted to coach here because the roster was a dumpster fire? Dooley. Who hired Dooley? He who shall not be named. Not Hart.

Reactions: 5 people
After being turned down by a dozen others.... hardly Hart's first choice...
Exactly! Hart was lucky Butch was pulling on his shirt WANTING the job after striking out most everywhere else.

Reactions: 1 person
He gets credit when Butch gets us firmly restored as nationally relevant. Butch has not done that yet.

I guess that's up to your interpretation of 'nationally relevant'. He has got us consecutive Top 5 recruiting classes. That's what some would consider relevant.

ESPN is actually talking about UT. That in itself would be considered relevant by some. The fact that UT is being presented as a break out team in 2015 by many in sports media could also be considered relevant.

What does CBJ have to do, short of winning a NC, to sway some of you guys?

Reactions: 9 people
I guess that's up to your interpretation of 'nationally relevant'. He has got us consecutive Top 5 recruiting classes. That's what some would consider relevant.

ESPN is actually talking about UT. That in itself would be considered relevant by some. The fact that UT is being presented as a break out team in 2015 by many in sports media could also be considered relevant.

What does CBJ have to do, short of winning a NC, to sway some of you guys?

Butch is doing fine but he and Hart are expected to be in the hunt for and win conference championships. I am not concerned with national championships. I fully support Butch Jones and expect the recruiting success to lead to on the field success. If it doesn't, I have no problem cutting bait.

Hart does a lot more than hiring a coach every year or two. His primary function is to run the AD within the allotted budget. He seems to be accomplishing that.

A lot of people just have an innate hatred for almost everyone who is associated with Tennessee football They don't like Hart, Jones, DeBord, other assistant coaches etc.. I wonder why they even claim to be Tennessee fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
A lot of people have an irrational love of coaches at Tennessee... They put that above the good of the program. See Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly! Hart was lucky Butch was pulling on his shirt WANTING the job after striking out most everywhere else.

Luck or not we got Butch and I couldn't be happier!

But let's not forget that Hart went after the so called bigger fish that everyone in Volnation wanted him to go after. You can't blame the rejections on Hart, he atleast went after them. And as far as the whole Gruden debacle, that was in no way on Hart that was all on us the fans. We made ourselves look stupid, Hart had nothing to do with that he was conducting his search as planned.

Lucky for us all (not just Hart) that Butch was yankin on that shirt tale wantin the job.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm happy Butch is here, but the program is what I love. Support is one thing, but defending coaches to the death no matter what is irrational.

Luck or not we got Butch and I couldn't be happier!

But let's not forget that Hart went after the so called bigger fish that everyone in Volnation wanted him to go after. You can't blame the rejections on Hart, he atleast went after them. And as far as the whole Gruden debacle, that was in no way on Hart that was all on us the fans. We made ourselves look stupid, Hart had nothing to do with that he was conducting his search as planned.

Lucky for us all (not just Hart) that Butch was yankin on that shirt tale wantin the job.

Good point. Better to aim higher than you are expected to get in the beginning and then work down the list from there. No fault in hiring your 3rd or 4th option if you don't screw it up on the first ones. Actually, in a lot of cases hiring the first choice could mean a hiring manager didn't aim high enough.

I think we all knew Butch Jones was a good coach. Most just had too much of a man crush on Gruden to get excited about him.

Other than Barbara Dooley, I'm not sure if anybody did that for CDD.

Yes, they did. Do a search and you will find people using the EXACT same arguments/excuses when Dooley was coach. These crazy coach worshippers acted like people poured sugar in their grandmothers gas tank if they dared say a word against Dooley

Yes, they did. Do a search and you will find people using the EXACT same arguments/excuses when Dooley was coach. These crazy coach worshippers acted like people poured sugar in their grandmothers gas tank if they dared say a word against Dooley

Continuing to bring up Dooley does nothing but make you look like a troll. It doesn't somehow prove this hire will or won't work out. People made some of the same arguments "against" Jancek and the staff Butch brought from Cincy. Get some new material.

Reactions: 8 people
Didn't say whether or not the hire would work out. Don't care about Debord, my money is on that he is just an honorary coach anyway.

My point was some people value coaches more than the team...they did with Majors, Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and now Butch. Dooley is just the most recent example.

Do a search... It is there.

VN Store

Back