How do you honestly feel about Butch as of February 2015, post-NSD?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 12 people
Gotta do some soul-searching on this one. Butch has the fans and the program hyped up right now. His recruiting is absolutely stunning, his energy is exciting, and he's got us going in the right direction with getting to a bowl game, winning the bowl game, etc.

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. PLAYING PETERMAN OVER DOBBS is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

I like Butch Jones, a lot. He's making all the right moves, but I can't help but worry that he's one of those "can recruit the lights out, but can't win games" kind of coaches. I don't think that's the case here, but he's got to be able to win against decent/bad teams, in clutch conference games, under the lights of a packed out Neyland. He's got to start taking more risks IMO. Again, I like Butch, I could definitely see him being the right man for the job long-term. But I think it's safe to say that if he can't get Tennessee legitimately good again with the talent he's bringing in, we have a problem.

Thoughts?

Did you mean WORLEY over Dobbs? :huh:

Reactions: 4 people
He's killed it in recruiting, which to be honest, when he was hired I thought it would be his weak spot. However, the recent OC hire is a little cause for concern from me. I'm afraid he's going to get stuck in the same rut that Fulmer was in for years in the sense that he'd rather just surround himself with his buddies than with the best possible staff of assistants.

Reactions: 7 people

It may be odd timing to have this kind of mentality, but truth be told I'm still in wait-and-see mode with Butch. He's still got some serious, inexcusable stains on his record from 2014. Namely, the Florida loss. He's done some great things, he's had some good wins, but he's also made some questionable decisions. Playing Peterman over Dobbs is a bit of a head scratcher, going ultra-conservative when he gets a lead, regardless of how small or large the lead is, seems to have lost a few games for us this year.

Thoughts?

Honestly, at this point, there is nothing that can be said to appease those who are not convinced Jones is doing everything possible to achieve the goals he has set for this program. Many people simply have need to tear down anything that is positive. That is why you will see great effort expended to use vague data to support their declarations. If they try to support their opinions directly their logic quickly falls apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 people
I like him. I like that he has so strongly embraced Tennessee's culture and traditions. Love his recruiting and energy, naturally. And I think he's smarter on staff management (yes, including the DeBord hire) than we give him credit for...because we don't see the inner workings, the personalities and developmental needs at play.

So all that is on the positive side of the ledger. The one big remaining unknown is what happens during the season -- game prep and game-day, management and leadership.

Everyone grows as they go through life. This may be the area where Butch is the student, growing into his potential. Hopefully he grows and develops in game management skills as quickly as the players do at their positions.

That's how I feel about him today. Mostly really positive, with a little wait-and-hope.

How can anyone not like or trust this guy?

I mean there are legitimate concerns. Not a lot of them, but they do exist. He obviously is completely sold out for Tennessee, which is great, again I just need to see a couple more fantastic on-the-field performances to think Butch is the guy that will lead UT back to glory.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has the keys and is doing an excellent job. Just enjoying the ride.

SEC contenders in 2015, SEC Champions in 2016!

Go Vols!!!!!!!

Honestly, at this point, there is nothing that can be said to appease those who are not convinced Jones is not doing everything possible to achieve the goals he has set for this program. Many people simply have need to tear down anything that is positive. That is why you will see great effort expended to arrive at supporting conclusions. If they try to support their opinions directly their logic quickly falls apart.

Attachments

• trlrky.gif
    trlrky.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,300
Reactions: 5 people
He has definitely proved that he can recruit in the SEC, but if he can coach kids up to SEC level of play still remains to be seen. We have to see serious improvement in wins this year. I'll be rooting for him every step of the way. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: 2 people
Very pleased. I'll be happy to be back to my traditional position of complaining about specific strategies instead of the overall state of the program. It's how I felt about Majors and Fulmer, so I think Butch will get us back there.

He has definitely proved that he can recruit in the SEC, but if he can coach kids up to SEC level of play still remains to be seen. We have to see serious improvement in wins this year. I'll be rooting for him every step of the way. I'm cautiously optimistic.

You have to admit there's been a vast improvement in "heart" and effort over the last 2 years. We all knew the wins wouldn't come over night after the program nosedived under dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
Every coach in Amerca is just two bad seasons away from a pink slip. But at this moment, I wouldn't trade Butch for anyone, period.

Reactions: 7 people

Thoughts?

He is doing a great job. I don't know why people can't see that. He took over after Kiffin and Dooley. He has had to flip the roster of players. We had no back ups that were SEC type players. Just look at 2014 where we had no back up on the O-line and no experience with those who played. I don't know of any coach that could of done better with the players he had to use. He has had two top 5 recruiting classes in the nation on back to back years. And we have been down for awhile. We are getting the players now to win championships.

Love Jones's affection for UT and its tradition. Love his recruiting prowess. Disappointed in the OC search that wasn't a search at all--a big job and he does nothing but pull an old friend out of retirement. Save for that lame effort, and botching the QB decision last year, he's been good.

I read in a national publication that Butch Davis is doing a great job at UT. So, there's that.

Butch is a great fit for Tennessee and is the right leader at the right time to bring the Vols back to national prominence. Great recruiter and we finally see in a coach who is developing players well. The team plays better each week and they are right on the verge of a huge breakthrough in the SEC. It's no wonder that the national media is jumping on the bandwagon. Butch is building something great at Tennessee!

VN Store

Back