Alot of people would have been alright with Coach Z

chattaboogie

I drink and post.
Taking over as OC even though he may not be ready experience wise. Instead, CBJ manages to keep Azzani as a coach by giving him a small promotion.

Now he only has to focus on the passing half of the offense, which he is very capable. In fact, many posters I've seen mentioned him as a capable QB coach. His expertise is already with WR.

On top of retaining Coach Z, CBJ brought in CMD as OC. At the very least he has:

-Extensive Oline experience.
-Extensive OC experience.
-Head coach experience.
-Coached TE on two NFL teams.
-Coached in 14 (I believe) bowl games.
-Coached in and won a national championship.

And you guys are pissed off when at one point most of you would have been fine with just making Azzani OC to keep him from leaving! WTF?!

Reactions: 28 people
Let's say they gave Azzani the OC job ... rumors have spread that he was in the running for a head coaching position elsewhere. Who is to say next year someone else offers him and he accepts. Tennessee would be in the same position again.

Reactions: 2 people
Taking over as OC even though he may not be ready experience wise. Instead, CBJ manages to keep Azzani as a coach by giving him a small promotion.

Now he only has to focus on the passing half of the offense, which he is very capable. In fact, many posters I've seen mentioned him as a capable QB coach. His expertise is already with WR.

On top of retaining Coach Z, CBJ brought in CMD as OC. At the very least he has:

-Head coach experience.

And you guys are pissed off when at one point most of you would have been fine with just making Azzani OC to keep him from leaving! WTF?!

Coach Z was the offensive co ordinator at Western Kentucky for a couple of years, so he has some experience but just not on a major level of college football.

-Head coach experience.

But, but, but reasons can be given why each of those facts aren't good enough. :crazy:

Let's say they gave Azzani the OC job ... rumors have spread that he was in the running for a head coaching position elsewhere. Who is to say next year someone else offers him and he accepts. Tennessee would be in the same position again.

I think they are grooming Coach Z and DeBord just gives him some more coaching experience to learn from. This will broad what Z has been exposed too and get's him ready for the big stage like at UT.

Reactions: 3 people
You left out the fact that Debord helped develop quarterbacks. Some need to understand that you don't have to wear the title to develop. Every quote mentioned QB development and I'm ok with that.

Reactions: 3 people
DeBord was the National Assistant Coach of the Year once. It's not like he's a Dooley. Good transitional OC if ZA takes it over in a few years. Also good for staff cohesion. Bringing in the 7 figure flavor of the day guy might have been very disruptive to the existing group. Time will tell if it's a mistake.

-Head coach experience.

People just don't like old or ugly people. If Debord was young and handsome, folks would be cheering. Unfortunately human beings judge one another based on superficial characteristics rather than logic.

Then that means he did a great job at OC. Coordinators leave all the time. Not sure why it'd be a bad thing to be doing so well that our assistants are getting promotions by going elsewhere.

People just don't like old or ugly people. If Debord was young and handsome, folks would be cheering. Unfortunately human beings judge one another based on superficial characteristics rather than logic.

I think this is pretty much where all the dislike starts. Maybe the fan base is starting to come around though.

Should coach Z have a breakout year with the receivers, prior to taking over the offensive reins?

I picture Debord's stay as a short one. He'll bring Z up to speed and retire or go back to NFL. Z becomes OC within two years.:rock::crazy::clapping:

I picture Debord's stay as a short one. He'll bring Z up to speed and retire or go back to NFL. Z becomes OC within two years.:rock::crazy::clapping:

(Ed McMahon voice)
I think YOU are correct, sir!

I don't think anyone is upset that CMD is now a coach on the staff. They're upset that he's the guy that will be calling plays when he hasn't done it since 2007. Even when he was a play caller, Michigan fans hated him.

Should coach Z have a breakout year with the receivers, prior to taking over the offensive reins?

I think our passing game should be very efficient the next year or two before he becomes a strong OC candidate.

But I think our entire offense will be productive next year and even more so in 2016. You can't hide talent, especially with several years of consistency in scheme and teaching.

I don't think anyone is upset that CMD is now a coach on the staff. They're upset that he's the guy that will be calling plays when he hasn't done it since 2007. Even when he was a play caller, Michigan fans hated him.

Hated him, slow down a bit there, he won a National Championship and was named assistant of the year one time, on top of being part of a very successfull period at UM, I highly doubt Michigan fans hated him.

Hated him, slow down a bit there, he won a National Championship and was named assistant of the year one time, on top of being part of a very successfull period at UM, I highly doubt Michigan fans hated him.

That is specifically why we weren't gee-whizzed about this guy when Fulmer considered him in 08. Michigan fans' disdain for CMD rivaled Tennessee fans' feelings for Randy Sanders.

-Head coach experience.

Well Stated OP

I got the feeling you are right.

VN Store

Back