A lot of DeBord PR Spin....

armchair

It is obvious that Jones and the UTAD have gone to some extra trouble to sell the fan base on the DeBord hire. First, they intentionally waited until after signing day to make the announcement, because they knew the fan reaction would be bad. Second, in the UT announcement, Jones doesn't even mention his time coaching with the DeBord. That's no accident: I think the coach didn't want to highlight their old friendship. Third, how about that DeBord quote about how he wanted to be "selective" about the job he took. Really? He's selling that line but I'm not buying it--he's been out of coaching for years.

Also, how about all those quotes from former michigan players about what a genius DeBord is! Never seen that before. Jones had a chance to go out and get a good spread/read-option coordinator. Instead, he he barely went through the motions of a search and took the easy route of hiring an old coaching crony from the Lloyd Carr era who needed a job. Hope it works out...

Reactions: 34 people
Also, how about all those quotes from former michigan players about what a genius DeBord is! Never seen that before. Jones had a chance to go out and get a good spread/read-option coordinator. Instead, he he barely went through the motions of a search and took the easy route of hiring an old coaching crony from the Lloyd Carr era who needed a job. Hope it works out...[/QUOTE]

Yeah Butch has just been sitting on his butt the last couple weeks, Circling the friggin globe, putting together one of the best classes in the country! :banghead2:

Reactions: 37 people
Your name is "armchair" for a reason. Let the season play out. Butch wanted someone that would gell with the current staff. He has a ton of momentum right now and didn't want to hire someone that would mess that up.

Reactions: 43 people
Once again, Butch plainly stated that the system was not going to change. That is why there was no flashy guy hired.

Reactions: 10 people
In this upcoming season and beyond: When we win - DeBord will be viewed as a great hire and people will be singing CJB'S praises about how we should've trusted him all along in this hire. When we lose - People will be calling for Debord's head and cursing coach Jones for making such a ridiculous hire.

Come to think of it - that's probably how it would've gone down regardless of who we hired.

We don't need a flashy big name hire. We need someone to come in and run Butch's offense. That's what we got, and we'll be fine.

Reactions: 24 people
I love the fact that UT went out and got the quotes from all the NFL guys. I can see them really using the NFL spin for the recruits.

Let Butch do his thing.

Let's go! GBO!

Reactions: 11 people
It is obvious that Jones and the UTAD have gone to some extra trouble to sell the fan base on the DeBord hire. First, they intentionally waited until after signing day to make the announcement, because they knew the fan reaction would be bad. Second, in the UT announcement, Jones doesn't even mention his time coaching with the DeBord. That's no accident: I think the coach didn't want to highlight their old friendship. Third, how about that DeBord quote about how he wanted to be "selective" about the job he took. Really? He's selling that line but I'm not buying it--he's been out of coaching for years.

Also, how about all those quotes from former michigan players about what a genius DeBord is! Never seen that before. Jones had a chance to go out and get a good spread/read-option coordinator. Instead, he he barely went through the motions of a search and took the easy route of hiring an old coaching crony from the Lloyd Carr era who needed a job. Hope it works out...

I don't know why people keep bringing this up. All offenses, no matter what style, have the same concepts. You still zone block on runs, no matter if you're in the I formation or spread. DeBord installed a zone block protection scheme at Michigan that all spread offenses still use today. Why get another read option coordinator? So we can throw 70 screen passes and run from the spread at the 2 yd line? DeBord will be able to teach better blocking schemes that are designed for a running attack, which is what this entire system is centered around. The guy has been a successful offensive coach and knows everything about the offensive line. Don't forget he coached the Seahawks offensive line and guess what...they run a West Coast offense, which is actually more of what he ran at Michigan. As I said before, it does not matter whether you run an option, spread, one back, West Coast offense because all offenses have the same building blocks. DeBord is a smart offensive minded coach. He can learn our playbook in a week. Let's not forget too, Butch was under DeBord at CMU and I watched some film from them in 2002 or 2003 and they were pretty much running the same things we do now under Butch. They're familiar with each other and Butch is keeping this system. DeBord can only add to our offensive attack by being a better teacher than Bajakian. He will be able to coach up our offensive line and instill a better running game, which are two things we really need if you wanna championships.

Reactions: 16 people
Once again, Butch plainly stated that the system was not going to change. That is why there was no flashy guy hired.

a flashy hire and system change aren't mutual.

You can have a dud hire with a system change
You can have a splashy hire with no system change
You can have a dud hire with no system change
You can have a splashy hire with a system change

The only thing worse than the posts about how Butch is just hiring someone to stand on the sidelines while he is the real offensive coordinator are posts like yours.

I still don't see the point of having an OC that is just an OC in title only that doesn't bring anything to the program and just keeps the status quo going. That does not seem like progress.

Reactions: 2 people

Dang, I like your post by accident. But Needed a job? I don't think so. He was employed by UM. Why don't you either sit back in your armchair and relax and see how it plays out or go ahead and jump. One or the other please.

Reactions: 8 people

but you will jump on bandwagon when it works out. right.

Reactions: 11 people
If Griese and Brady says DeBord is a great hire, that is good enough for me. They are far more qualified to judge Butch's selection than I am. Go Vols!

Reactions: 6 people
Lets think about it this way....

If we were to have no official OC and CBJ were to take over those duties as well as HC, there would be no changes, the players would grow further into his system, players would get stronger through S/C and the players would grow more comfortable with one another. These 4 points should translate into more points and thus more wins. Throw in this awesome recruiting class and it only adds to it.

Now Debord, if he is the offensive mind that CBJ thinks he is and knows his "system" like the back of his hand - isn't that a positive? Isn't that one more coach/voice/mentor to help many of these freshmen/sophomores grow into sophomores/juniors?

I think we'll be fine.

Reactions: 4 people
I get all the pros and cons and I understand the spin.

I just keep coming back to the fact that if he's so great, then why hasn't he been coaching for the past three years? This is the one thing I can't seem to get over.

Reactions: 7 people

I just keep coming back to the fact that if he's so great, then why hasn't he been coaching for the past three years? This is the one thing I can't seem to get over.

Because, obviously, he was so selective about his employer he wanted to administer swimming and women's gymnastics instead of coaching.

I thought this was obvious.

#BestStaffInAmerica #DeBordNeverBored #2YardsAndACloudOfBust #3AndOutWildOut #PunterGetWarmedUp

Reactions: 8 people
Do any of you numbnuts actually believe that players with such great success would say such things if they weren't true? Get a grip. The more I hear the more I like this hire. CMD said he was always very selective at the opportunities presented to him and he choose to come here. How soon we forget just that just a few years ago we had to beg coaches to come here. I trust CBJ and you should too. Let's let it play out. VolNation should welcome CMD with enthusiasm and trust.

Reactions: 13 people
A whole lot of jobs are obtained through connections. The coaching field is no different. It may even be more common as coaching is a very tight knit group. Just because he knows him and worked with him prior does not mean he is not qualified and the right fit.

Give the guy a chance or you may end up with a self fulfilling prophecy.

He may be exactly what the team needs or he may suck completely. No one knows at this point.

Reactions: 1 person

Maybe because he was waiting for a job he liked?

Reactions: 1 person
Do any of you numbnuts actually believe that players with such great success would say such things if they weren't true? Get a grip. The more I hear the more I like this hire. CMD said he was always very selective at the opportunities presented to him and he choose to come here. How soon we forget just that just a few years ago we had to beg coaches to come here. I trust CBJ and you should too. Let's let it play out. VolNation should welcome CMD with enthusiasm and trust.

Yes, players and coaches lie to further their careers and others.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the politics of college football

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back