I don't like the Debord hire (I will keep this short)

grivira

I ask myself a few questions about the Debord hire:

1. Was he a good recruiter? Someone needs to fill me in on this, but I am not going to give him the benefit of doubt because at UT, we need talented and proven recruiters. The only exception I can think of is coach like Monte Kiffin, who can serve as a “figurative leader” in recruiting.

2. Was his offense effective? Without doing my own research, I quote Elvis68Vol:

"There are plenty of things to be nervous about with this hire. In five years at Michigan, DeBord's offense never cracked the top 25 in scoring. The year the Wolverines won the national title, their offense ranked just 48th, and in two years with one of the NFL's all-time greats at the helm, they were just 42nd and 29th. In DeBord's final season before the coaching staff was replaced, a Michigan squad that started the season ranked in the top five finished just 64th in scoring offense…”

I also don’t buy the argument that he is here to run someone else’s offense so his previous production as an OC or HC won’t matter as much. That’s simply not what he is supposed to do here as an OC.

3. Forget about his coaching and recruiting ability for a second, at what stage is he at as a football coach? A month ago, he was a 58-year old former football coach, who hasn't coached since 2013 and has been out of college ranks since 2007, when Twitter was an unknown start-up. I am not going to age-discriminate against him as a coach, but a two-year gap, at the tail end of his coaching career, in an ultra-competitive business (SEC football) doesn't bode well for him.

Thank you for your time and patience. :)

Reactions: 21 people
there are 32 teams in the NFL, it's not possible to be "42nd" in terms of team rankings

Reactions: 9 people
No worries that it's been a while since he coached or his age.

What bothers me is that he is a pro-style OC. If he was a zone read expert I would have no problem with the hire.

Reactions: 4 people
Tom Brady wasn't an all time great until he got to the nfl. There's a reason he was taken in the 6th round.

Reactions: 7 people

1. Was he a good recruiter? Someone needs to fill me in on this, but I am not going to give him the benefit of doubt because at UT, we need talented and proven recruiters. The only exception I can think of is coach like Monte Kiffin, who can serve as a “figurative leader” in recruiting.

2. Was his offense effective? Without doing my own research, I quote Elvis68Vol:

"There are plenty of things to be nervous about with this hire. In five years at Michigan, DeBord's offense never cracked the top 25 in scoring. The year the Wolverines won the national title, their offense ranked just 48th, and in two years with one of the NFL's all-time greats at the helm, they were just 42nd and 29th. In DeBord's final season before the coaching staff was replaced, a Michigan squad that started the season ranked in the top five finished just 64th in scoring offense…”

I also don’t buy the argument that he is here to run someone else’s offense so his previous production as an OC or HC won’t matter as much. That’s simply not what he is supposed to do here as an OC.

3. Forget about his coaching and recruiting ability for a second, at what stage is he at as a football coach? A month ago, he was a 58-year old former football coach, who hasn't coached since 2013 and has been out of college ranks since 2007, when Twitter was an unknown start-up. I am not going to age-discriminate against him as a coach, but a two-year gap, at the tail end of his coaching career, in an ultra-competitive business (SEC football) doesn't bode well for him.

so you trust Butch to bring in Top 5 recruiting classes, but you don't trust him in personnel decisions that would impact HIS career and financial well-being... Yeah...that's solid!!

Reactions: 22 people
The issue I see with this hire is not with his ability to recruit, but the ability that other coaches from other teams will have with negative tactics.
In my displeasure with this, I will not "Donate" to the University this year UNLESS he proves to be a good hire. I am not going to pay first, check later. I want results anymore.

We just have to give Butch benefit of the doubt. He knows this hire is huge for many reasons. If he didn't have complete faith in DeBord, he wouldn't of hired him. Who are we to question Butch at anything football related? He is the head coach and caretaker of TN, not any of us.

Reactions: 3 people
All I am hearing on these post are negative remarks about Debord being a pro-style guy and a non-productive.

Debord's offense was always productive as OC and any good OC can adapt or change thier offensive stlye. Does Cutcliffe's offense at Duke look the same as when we had Peyton or Tee. No!! Can he still call productive plays?? Does his schemes have some spread concepts?

My Guess is He will work closely with Coach A and the other offenseive assistiants regardless of what title's change to help expand the offense. A huge part of the OC is job is execution. Can we execute effectively. I can call a read option to Hurd but can we execute the blocking schemes to be successful on each play is Huge. I believe Debord will bring that. I could care less if he is boring or looks or runs his mouth like Lane Kiffin. Just Win.

Maybe not my first choice but the guy knows offense

Reactions: 3 people
Thank you 0P. You repeatedly admitted you have no idea why you don't like Debord. Honesty is a good thing.

Reactions: 5 people

Don't worry butch has got this!

there are 32 teams in the NFL, it's not possible to be "42nd" in terms of team rankings

Obligatory picard gif after such a stupid post.

giphy.gif

The issue I see with this hire is not with his ability to recruit, but the ability that other coaches from other teams will have with negative tactics.
In my displeasure with this, I will not "Donate" to the University this year UNLESS he proves to be a good hire. I am not going to pay first, check later. I want results anymore.

No more donation - I guess your season ticket location just got considerably worse...:hi:

They said he was over bringing Harbaugh to Michigan. I would say that is pretty good recruiting and negotiating skills :)

I hear Vandy is looking for fans like you

No worries that it's been a while since he coached or his age.

What bothers me is that he is a pro-style OC. If he was a zone read expert I would have no problem with the hire.

The "zone" part refers to zone blocking and he's very well versed in that as he had Alex Gibbs teach it to he and the staff at Michigan.

The "read option" part of it, well it's a concept that's been around forever...tell the O-line not to block the end man on the line of scrimmage or maybe the force player depending on the front...QB reads that defender to determine whether to keep, give or pass.

Also, the offense that we have come to know has very few run concepts and inside zone and outside zone make up a large percentage. They have a counter, they have the jet sweep that Pig Howard was used on a bunch...that's the bulk off the offense. In the passing game, welp it's mostly the same concepts that any pro offense runs...sticks, snags, bubble screens, quick game stuff, wheels etc...none of that would be new to him. I'm not sure that the terminology would be much of a hurdle either but I have no way to know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Butch knew the serious backlash he would receive from the hiring of Debord so he waited until after NSD.....hope this is a smart hire...could Butch have made a better selection for OC?

VN Store

Back