Butch's Reasoning

snapcracklepop

I see that there is a massive thread concerning the Debord hiring, but I consider this topic thread worthy. Mods, if you disagree, feel free to merge.

Butch Jones, as far as we know, did not fire Mike Bajakian. Therefore, we can assume Butch was pleased with our offensive efficiency and strategy. I have heard and read where many people believe Butch is really stepping out on a limb with this hire. However, I believe Butch feels that he is playing it safe by hiring Debord and here is why:

1. Butch knew that any other "big name" offensive coordinator is going to want to implement his offensive strategy and terminology. As I previously mentioned, Butch is pleased with our offense, and he does not want it to change. If Butch really interviewed other candidates, I am sure the interview ended abruptly when the candidate was told that he would not have the freedom to bring his own offense and terminology into Knoxville. Debord, on the other hand, is obviously very willing to learn and run Butch's offense. I am sure Butch will let Debord offer advise and make suggestions, but ultimately, Debord is likely very happy to get a huge raise while wrapping up his career coaching football.

2. Butch knew that most offensive coordinators would have demanded that they bring some of their assistants along with them. Butch has shown that he loves continuity and loyalty, and we can all agree that we needed consistency in coaches around here. Obviously, Debord has no assistants that he wants to being along with him because he hasn't coached football in a few years.

3. Butch knows Debord's personality and his coaching style. After all, Debord gave Butch his start in the coaching profession. Butch did not want to take the chance of hiring some up and coming potential hot head that would come in and cause confusion in the locker room and on the practice field. Butch wants someone that will fall in line with his "one voice" mentality.

4. Butch knows that we are on the verge of something extremely special at The University of Tennessee. He knows that we need everything to stay very similar to our previous offensive concepts and strategies because we have such an overwhelmingly young team. These young guys just really got a firm grip of the offense last year, and Butch knows that it would be detrimental to bring in a guy that would start from scratch. Butch knows if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With all of that being said, this is a HUGE hire! This hire could break Butch, and he KNOWS that too. Butch made the comfortable hire, and I really hope that we can look over at our buddies at the SEC/National Championship game in a year or two and say, "Man, Butch really gets it. Debord was a GREAT hire!"

Go Vols! and sorry this is so long!

Last edited:
Reactions: 45 people
I suspect Azzani will get some sort of promotion. Passing game coordinator.
Thig needs to be bumped to recruiting coordinator.

Reactions: 4 people
What I like about debord is butch was his oc. Butch must have felt that debord had great input as the hc. Must of had great working relationship As long as debord realizes that butch is the man now it should work out great. Much more play calling experience. Should be a good tutor for ca. From what I have read he should be able to adjust play calling based upon personnel and opponent. That was the biggest problem I saw last yr. lots of ol and te coaching experience. Vast knowledge of football will translate to good qb coach if necessary. Flame away.

Reactions: 5 people
Perhaps they feel that they have the players to run a little more pro style based plays as well. I'm hoping to see Hurd in an I-formation at some point. I understand we run the spread but it wouldn't hurt to take some snaps under center. Debord can help implement some pro-style elements into the current offense if Butch so chooses. But i'm sure Debord is willing to toe the line and this is ultimately what Butch wants, someone who falls in line with his over-all vision. Debord won't rustle any feathers...well except perhaps for those who are just watching, apparently they have already been rustled into a frenzy. To me this isn't a risky hire or a splashy one but a conservative one.

Reactions: 3 people
I suspect Azzani will get some sort of promotion. Passing game coordinator.
Thig needs to be bumped to recruiting coordinator.
Recruiting coordinator is just a fancy title for a guy who does more paperwork than the rest of the assistants. Let's just pay the man.

If you look back you should see that all CBJs steps have paid positive dividends. My opinion is that hiring DeBord will have the same results, CBJ just doesn't waste his opportunities,,,,,wait and see!

Reactions: 2 people
I see that there is a massive thread concerning the Debord hiring, but I consider this topic thread worthy. Mods, if you disagree, feel free to merge.

Butch Jones, as far as we know, did not fire Mike Bajakian. Therefore, we can assume Butch was pleased with our offensive efficiency and strategy. I have heard and read where many people believe Butch is really stepping out on a limb with this hire. However, I believe Butch feels that he is playing it safe by hiring Debord and here is why:

1. Butch knew that any other "big name" offensive coordinator is going to want to implement his offensive strategy and terminology. As I previously mentioned, Butch is pleased with our offense, and he does not want it to change. If Butch really interviewed other candidates, I am sure the interview ended abruptly when the candidate was told that he would not have the freedom to bring his own offense and terminology into Knoxville. Debord, on the other hand, is obviously very willing to learn and run Butch's offense. I am sure Butch will let Debord offer advise and make suggestions, but ultimately, Debord is likely very happy to get a huge raise while wrapping up his career coaching football.

2. Butch knew that most offensive coordinators would have demanded that they bring some of their assistants along with them. Butch has shown that he loves continuity and loyalty, and we can all agree that we needed consistency in coaches around here. Obviously, Debord has no assistants that he wants to being along with him because he hasn't coached football in a few years.

3. Butch knows Debord's personality and his coaching style. After all, Debord gave Butch his start in the coaching profession. Butch did not want to take the chance of hiring some up and coming potential hot head that would come in and cause confusion in the locker room and on the practice field. Butch wants someone that will fall in line with his "one voice" mentality.

4. Butch knows that we are on the verge of something extremely special at The University of Tennessee. He knows that we need everything to stay very similar to our previous offensive concepts and strategies because we have such an overwhelmingly young team. These young guys just really got a firm grip of the offense last year, and Butch knows that it would be detrimental to bring in a guy that would start from scratch. Butch knows if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With all of that being said, this is a HUGE hire! This hire could break Butch, and he KNOWS that too. Butch made the comfortable hire, and I really hope that we can look over at our buddies at the SEC/National Championship game in a year or two and say, "Man, Butch really gets it. Debord was a GREAT hire!"

Go Vols! and sorry this is so long!

Last note

Twss

Good grief: Most spread/read-option offenses are quite similar. Of course a new OC is going to want to implement his own strategy/tactics--that is what they do! This is the OC's job. If Jones can't handle handing the reigns to a good offensive coordinator, then he will not last long in this league. But then the "search" process was a sham--there was no search.

We're not going to run both spread and pro-style--and we'd be stupid to run pro-style because then Dobbs would not be running, and his running is one of our biggest weapons. That is why you hire a good spread OC--somebody who knows how to make out talent even more dangerous, not start running the I formation again.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm not sure going the safe and comfortable route when hiring our OC was the best option. Butch must really believe in the guy though, and that's enough for me. Who are we to question Butch's judgement?

Reactions: 1 person
Good grief: Most spread/read-option offenses are quite similar.
Similar? Yes. Same? No.

Of course a new OC is going to want to implement his own strategy/tactics--that is what they do! This is the OC's job. If Jones can't handle handing the reigns to a good offensive coordinator, then he will not last long in this league. But then the "search" process was a sham--there was no search.
Saban has done just fine not handing the reigns of his D off to someone else. It is HIS D system and whoever coaches in it conforms to him. Meyer did fine insisting on HIS offensive system. Malzahn appears to be doing fine. Jimbo Fisher? Spurrier is the mastermind behind his offenses. Mizzou's O is Pinkel's system.

Oregon has gone through a series of coaches but one system. They've done well.

I'd say on the whole, the guys who have a system on at least one side of the ball and stick with it with few changes seem to do better than those who hand the reigns to assistants.... witness Mark Richt who plays CEO and has great talent but can never get over the hump. Miles isn't known as having a system of his own on either side of the ball... he hires coordinators to bring theirs. IIRC, he hasn't won anything significant since losing Jimbo Fisher... who won a NC with his system at FSU.

Reactions: 9 people
I'm not buying any of the OP's reasons. How many jobs have you been hired for were you go in making all of the demands? Thats the way you make it seem. How about hire an OC that runs the same offense?

Having said that I dont really know how to feel about Debord. If we hire him, I'm all in. However your reasoning for not hiring someone else doesnt make much sense.

I'm not buying any of the OP's reasons. How many jobs have you been hired for were you go in making all of the demands? Thats the way you make it seem. How about hire an OC that runs the same offense?

Having said that I dont really know how to feel about Debord. If we hire him, I'm all in. However your reasoning for not hiring someone else doesnt make much sense.

Surely you could buy into one of the OPs reasons at least. Anything less would be unreasonable.

The OP did a realistic job of portraying why Debord was hired. It's comforting to know that you are all in if we do hire him because most would just complain and complain.

Two other reasons he probably will hire him is because of his work ethnic and because he is a good fit when it comes to staff turnover and disruption. I don't see him here for a long time.

SJT your thoughts were exactly what I was thinking. You just cam up with many more examples. Thanks.

As for DeBord, I am excited for his hire because he is going to be the OC or whatever title CBJ GIVES HIM. He is a VOL now and I am going to support him. Some of the people that begged to get rid of Coach Jake are already complaining about DeBord. Remember the old saying, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, IT MIGHT COME TRUE. So now it looks like DeBord, I am on board because I supported the VOLS through DOOFUS so I sure as he(( am supporting a new OC. I am ready for football already!

I am completely fine with Debord...but I have a good question....Who is going to coach QB?

All I know about DeBord is what I have read on VN. With that information I believe he is the second coming of Satan. However, Butch knows the man, Butch has a plan for the program and all I know is what I read here and from some of the media pundits. I'll go with Butch and know he will be held accountable.

I'm starting to believe that the reasoning behind waiting till after signing day, was not that recruits would look elsewhere due to the OC hire but the fans reaction. As soon as the hire was brought to everyone's attention people have started degrading the coach. Yesterday he was a genius and now he doesn't have a clue (according to a handful). I believe the recruits knew who the new hire was. No one is going to flip to Tennessee at the last minute unless they had some type of clue who was going to coach them. If he made the announcement earlier the ones yelling about the hire could have cost a top 5 class.

I've personally been responsible for several top commitments solely due to my top flight posts and overall good looks

Reactions: 8 people
Joking aside people should know by now that the social media has been used as a positive and negative recruiting tool ... forums, twitter, and also Facebook.

Joking aside people should know by now that the social media has been used as a positive and negative recruiting tool ... forums, twitter, and also Facebook.

That's why I don't think any recruit knew who the hire was. Hard to believe 18-19yr old kids were able to keep that a secret. One would think it would've been leaked on social media before now if they knew. Just my humble opinion tho.

VN Store

Back