Reasons to be excited about Debord

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Obviously there are plenty of reasons to not be too happy with this hire. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a "boom" hire by any means. Truth be told, it's not really anything to be excited about. But I was reading an article recently (that I'm sure has been linked here already several times, but it's really long so I doubt everyone read it) that's I'm going to post some excerpts from that may make us all feel a little better.

-DeBord was one of the few coaches Jones mentioned as an influence when he was hired at UT in late 2012.

-Michigan went undefeated in 1997 – claiming an AP national title with DeBord calling the offense.

-(On his tenure at CMU) But while the defense was his undoing in many respects, DeBord did develop a strong rushing attack, hovering around the 200-yard per game average his final two seasons there.

-In the Mike DeBord era, the running game has always been the staple of this offense. Despite the one-back look often used, they are most effective when lining up in the “I” and running it right at a defense.

-Quote from Debord: “Our offense will be built to control the ball. We cannot have turnovers or penalties.”

-Carr, after a disappointing 7-5 season, again turned to DeBord to replace Terry Malone. DeBord helped stabilize the offense, installing a zone-blocking scheme that was more friendly to Michigan’s personnel (and is something UT uses a lot under Jones currently), helping the Wolverines get back in the top-10 with an 11-2 overall season that ended with a loss in the Rose Bowl.

-You can check off the boxes of play-calling experience, NFL ties and head-coaching experience with DeBord.

-DeBord specializes in the offensive line, the run game and physical football – all things that Tennessee wants to improve upon.

-DeBord’s switch to the zone-blocking philosophy in 2006 and some adjustments later in his career at Michigan makes the thought of him jumping in to lead UT’s offense a little bit more understandable. Perhaps Jones sees this as an opportunity to further intertwine the spread principles that are in place with him and his current staff with some downhill, pro-style running elements that could make UT’s offense with the likes of Jalen Hurd, Alvin Kamara and Joshua Dobbs running the ball, very tough to stop.

-While blind, unquestioning support of a head coach and his moves isn’t healthy for a fan base, Jones has clearly done enough right in Knoxville to gain the benefit of the doubt when making this hire. Some of the coaches he brought originally were questioned at large by fans and media alike, only to become essential parts of helping rebuild a program that is on a significantly better trajectory than it was just a couple years ago.

Just something to think about...... maybe not all hope is lost necessarily.

Reactions: 82 people
"I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it..."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D53Pw2Y_fU4[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
The sooner people realize being a HC and a coordinator is NOT the same thing the better.

Reactions: 8 people
-DeBord:...."they are most effective when lining up in the “I” and running it right at a defense.

-Quote from Debord: “Our offense will be built to control the ball. We cannot have turnovers or penalties.”
tumblr_niq1fkYs0S1smmsbuo1_500.jpg

Reactions: 7 people
Reasons to be excited about Debord:

- He's not Sal Sunseri
- He's not Dave Clawson
- He probably isn't going to steal your girl
- He may do exactly what Butch says without having to be Butch-slapped

Reactions: 10 people
that actually is good info, I was under the impression Debord was just a pro style guy. Good to know he embraced zone blocking, that brings an air of stability to what the kids already have been taught. I like the idea that he will be helping the run game get more physical, hard to win championships without a reliable ground attack, just look at this year's playoff and with the talent we have in the backfield it could be dangerous. All in all this could work out, I just don't want the offense to abandon the up tempo style it has, we don't have time to recruit players for a different style offense.

No more yelling at my TV for the QB to get under center on a short yardage situation.

Searching for the Debord "silver linings".

Reactions: 3 people
Reasons to be excited about Debord:

tumblr_niq1fkYs0S1smmsbuo3_400.gif

- He's not called a single play in 8yrs
- He's not coached AT ALL in over 2yrs
- He doesn't FIT Butch's offense, seeing he ran a pro-style offense back in the day...when current players were in diapers
- His hiring is simply returning a favo
r
FYP :salute:

Reactions: 5 people
If he can help our OL...could be a good hire.
If he can recruit OL/RB...could be a great hire.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm all shades of gray with this one. Nothing to really get excited about, but nothing to really get dejected about either.

It's going to be sold as a continuity pick, to keep the offense going steady...problem is we were 83rd in the nation in offense last year. Is more of the same what we really need?

That said, I'd be surprised to see Debord do any worse than Bajakian. It's a decent bet, he will be an improvement. And he's also seems far more accomplished with traditional running schemes, which could hopefully help us in the short yardage situations where we seem to struggle.

But who is going to coach QBs? With only one scholarship QB on the roster with any college experience and given that Butch's offense seems predicated on QB play as much as any I've seen, it seems like a huge question mark.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm the most excited about the talk of him and his I-form success. IMO with Hurd running downhill that could be scary.

I like the hire. The only tweeks to the offense I expect from Debord are in short yardage and goalline offenses for more physicality. And it is great we have Sheridan also coming in to work with Dobbs and the freshmen QBs.

Reactions: 5 people
He is an OG from back in tha day!
He can get us some goaline oriented power running formations if Butch will let him.
He will appreciate the maxims.
I will hold back all negativity now that he is being announced until after 1 season to evaluate what the man can do.
Butch gets it!

Obviously there are plenty of reasons to not be too happy with this hire. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a "boom" hire by any means. Truth be told, it's not really anything to be excited about. But I was reading an article recently (that I'm sure has been linked here already several times, but it's really long so I doubt everyone read it) that's I'm going to post some excerpts from that may make us all feel a little better.

-DeBord was one of the few coaches Jones mentioned as an influence when he was hired at UT in late 2012.

-Michigan went undefeated in 1997 – claiming an AP national title with DeBord calling the offense.

-(On his tenure at CMU) But while the defense was his undoing in many respects, DeBord did develop a strong rushing attack, hovering around the 200-yard per game average his final two seasons there.

-In the Mike DeBord era, the running game has always been the staple of this offense. Despite the one-back look often used, they are most effective when lining up in the “I” and running it right at a defense.

-Carr, after a disappointing 7-5 season, again turned to DeBord to replace Terry Malone. DeBord helped stabilize the offense, installing a zone-blocking scheme that was more friendly to Michigan’s personnel (and is something UT uses a lot under Jones currently), helping the Wolverines get back in the top-10 with an 11-2 overall season that ended with a loss in the Rose Bowl.

-You can check off the boxes of play-calling experience, NFL ties and head-coaching experience with DeBord.

-DeBord specializes in the offensive line, the run game and physical football – all things that Tennessee wants to improve upon.

-DeBord’s switch to the zone-blocking philosophy in 2006 and some adjustments later in his career at Michigan makes the thought of him jumping in to lead UT’s offense a little bit more understandable. Perhaps Jones sees this as an opportunity to further intertwine the spread principles that are in place with him and his current staff with some downhill, pro-style running elements that could make UT’s offense with the likes of Jalen Hurd, Alvin Kamara and Joshua Dobbs running the ball, very tough to stop.

-While blind, unquestioning support of a head coach and his moves isn’t healthy for a fan base, Jones has clearly done enough right in Knoxville to gain the benefit of the doubt when making this hire. Some of the coaches he brought originally were questioned at large by fans and media alike, only to become essential parts of helping rebuild a program that is on a significantly better trajectory than it was just a couple years ago.

Just something to think about...... maybe not all hope is lost necessarily.
I wonder what offense he going to run in the red zone? Spread or power?

VN Store

Back