Vic Wharton asks to "explore other options" [Confirmed]

iKrager

Tennessee wide receiver Vic Wharton has "asked to explore other options," coach Butch Jones said Wednesday.

Vols' Michael Sawyers out, Vic Wharton likely to follow

If he ends up transferring, thanks for your contributions Vic and thanks for helping recruit the 2014 class, it was a shame you couldn't sick around.

Please don't merge, the other thread is a "rumor" thread is filled with endless discussion and debates.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't help but wonder what is going through that young man's head. Kudos to him for bringing together the 2014 class, but he is leaving at a time when the possibilities for this team in the next couple of years are endless. Good luck to him.

Reactions: 2 people
Funny how Wharton went to being the main recruiter in the 2014 class to transferring after one year. I thought this kid bled Orange but I guess not.

Reactions: 5 people
You can't run from problems be they in or out of football. I hear it's not football related regardless I hope the young man finds peace.

Reactions: 6 people
We don't know what happened behind closed doors. Vic caught his first TD pass in the bowl game yet all of the sudden decides he wants to explore other options? Something, IMO, is fishy about this - I just don't know what.

EDIT: Go to the second page to see what I mean by "fishy".

Last edited:
If he leaves which it looks like he will then I am very disappointed in him. It's clear that he will see playing time this coming year, I guess he just hasn't taken to CBJ and the staffs coaching. Its like CBJ said today, some kids get to college and realize that they aren't willing to do all the work it takes to be successful.

It sucks to lose any recruits, but as we rise to the top we are going to have some that leave for various reasons. Great day to be a Vol today!

Still hoping Vic and Ryan come to the conclusion that, even if they do end up in the 2-to-3-deep part of the roster, their chances of succeeding as players and in life are still best at Knoxville. Even if we have ~10 scholarship wideouts, given the injuries that can be expected over the course of the year, both can make significant contributions. Plus, growing and learning with a world-class coaching and development staff helps hugely if your goal is to get to the pros.

We don't know what happened behind closed doors. Vic caught his first TD pass in the bowl game yet all of the sudden decides he wants to explore other options? Something, IMO, is fishy about this - I just don't know what.

Don't see why there always has to be something "fishy" when kids decide to move on. Maybe he can't stand his position coach and/or coordinator. Maybe he sees too much competition and the lack of playing time bothers him. Maybe he doesn't like the area. Maybe he has off the field problems and a change of scenery is necessary. Crap happens. Kids come and kids go. Not the end of the world and certainly not a sign that there's some cancer with the program that foretells of impending collapse. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: 7 people
Whaa! What a baby! Wharton is getting on my nerves. He needs to put up or shut up and leave.

What has he said or done to deserve that? Maybe he is looking around, but by all accounts he certainly hasn't been a cancer about it. He's a 19 year old kid doing what is best for him.

Reactions: 11 people
Vic & Ryan,

Thanks for all you guys have done at TN. I hope you both find your heart remains as VOLS, but either way THANKS for all that you guys did for TN. Best to you either way.

GO VOLS!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
All the respect in the world should be shown to this kid for being the voice of last years class.People are allowed to walk whatever path in life they choose.Good luck and thank you Vic! Go Vols and HTTR!

Reactions: 4 people
Vic should stay and compete. I'm sure Malone hears footsteps as well after today. They both need to step it up a notch.

Don't see why there always has to be something "fishy" when kids decide to move on. Maybe he can't stand his position coach and/or coordinator. Maybe he sees too much competition and the lack of playing time bothers him. Maybe he doesn't like the area. Maybe he has off the field problems and a change of scenery is necessary. Crap happens. Kids come and kids go. Not the end of the world and certainly not a sign that there's some cancer with the program that foretells of impending collapse. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

I agree but I also believe there is more to Vic exploring than what we are told. But will admit it is because of how he acted during recruitment last year

These guys will end up at UTC or ETSU, VW is the second coming of the Maples kid that signed with UT Fulmers last year.

As usual, a kid is deciding that he would like to look at going to another school and VN responds with all kinds of presumptions and judgements. Let's just wish the kid good luck wherever he lands. He deserves to be happy about his situation whether it be in Knoxville or somewhere else. Good luck, Vic

Reactions: 14 people
As usual, a kid is deciding that he would like to look at going to another school and VN responds with all kinds of presumptions and judgements. Let's just wish the kid good luck wherever he lands. He deserves to be happy about his situation whether it be in Knoxville or somewhere else. Good luck, Vic

Well said.
We should keep our bashing and blind speculation to ourselves and just wish him well.

Everything you just said is exactly what I meant by "something is fishy".

I say it's fishy because:
1. Vic is known as a hard worker, even throughout the season he was praised for his work ethic. Usually a kid like that is praised by his coaches, it's hard to see he didn't get along with his position coach.

2. Playing time is about the only reason I could think of, but usually the coach will come out and say they will transfer for more playing time.

3. He isn't a regular "kid". He's grown up in and around Knoxville. He helped put together the 2014 class. He was praised by Butch Jones for his work ethic on and off the field.

4. Vic has wanted to be a Vol all his life. He gets his first TD, is super excited about, and then all of the sudden decides he doesn't like being a Vol?

I'm not a skeptic, I'm a realist, there's a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
4. Vic has wanted to be a Vol all his life. He gets his first TD, is super excited about, and then all of the sudden decides he doesn't like being a Vol?

I'm not a skeptic, I'm a realist, there's a difference.

This!

Still hoping Vic and Ryan come to the conclusion that, even if they do end up in the 2-to-3-deep part of the roster, their chances of succeeding as players and in life are still best at Knoxville. Even if we have ~10 scholarship wideouts, given the injuries that can be expected over the course of the year, both can make significant contributions. Plus, growing and learning with a world-class coaching and development staff helps hugely if your goal is to get to the pros.
Not to be a jerk, but who are we to act like we know what is best for a kid?

VN Store

Back