How In the World....

Jacksonvol

..could the entirety of college football not have noticed Butch Jones' abilities...I've been an orange-blooded Vol for much longer than I'd like to admit and I've been wondering for the last couple of years how anyone with the recruiting ability of Butch and with his won-lost records could have not been at the top of so many "elite" teams in their searches prior to his coming here...As we all know, he has to be one of the top recruiters, if not the top one, in the entire country. It just seems that some of those people would have noticed his recruiting quality people [albeit not 4* and up] at CMU and Cincinnati and would have jumped at the opportunity to hire him....I'm obviously glad that that didn't happen and am gloating about what he's doing here [especially as I watch Vandy fans suffer at what is happening] though I still don't understand....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
..could the entirety of college football not have noticed Butch Jones' abilities...I've been an orange-blooded Vol for much longer than I'd like to admit and I've been wondering for the last couple of years how anyone with the recruiting ability of Butch and with his won-lost records could have not been at the top of so many "elite" teams in their searches prior to his coming here...As we all know, he has to be one of the top recruiters, if not the top one, in the entire country. It just seems that some of those people would have noticed his recruiting quality people [albeit not 4* and up] at CMU and Cincinnati and would have jumped at the opportunity to hire him....I'm obviously glad that that didn't happen and am gloating about what he's doing here though I still don't understand....

I don't think anyone knew we were getting the best head coach recruiter in the country.

Just enjoy it.

Reactions: 11 people
..could the entirety of college football not have noticed Butch Jones' abilities...I've been an orange-blooded Vol for much longer than I'd like to admit and I've been wondering for the last couple of years how anyone with the recruiting ability of Butch and with his won-lost records could have not been at the top of so many "elite" teams in their searches prior to his coming here...As we all know, he has to be one of the top recruiters, if not the top one, in the entire country. It just seems that some of those people would have noticed his recruiting quality people [albeit not 4* and up] at CMU and Cincinnati and would have jumped at the opportunity to hire him....I'm obviously glad that that didn't happen and am gloating about what he's doing here though I still don't understand....
Not sure I would mention that? A 50-27 record equates to a 65% winning percentage.

Reactions: 2 people
I think a lot of people thought he was riding Brian Kelly's coattails and he wasn't that good. People in our fanbase thought that and were upset when he was hired.

Reactions: 12 people
Not sure I would mention that? A 50-27 record equates to a 65% winning percentage.

He won multiple conference championships though. How many did Charley Strong win? The op makes a good point. I can understand how fans wouldn't know about Butch. I don't understand how athletic directors seemingly didn't.

Reactions: 4 people
Every great coach starts somewhere and eventually gets nabbed up by a great program.

We just happened to make the right hire at the right time. All credit goes to Hart.

Reactions: 6 people
OP my opinion Butch didn't get that recognition. Is many wanted to believe he was riding Brian Kelly's coattails of success. Butch is finally getting his chance to show.

Reactions: 3 people
Every great coach starts somewhere and eventually gets nabbed up by a great program.

We just happened to make the right hire at the right time. All credit goes to Hart.

Credit to the guy who fumbled the hire of strong and wanted Gundy? CBJ came in and took what was his. Hart is not the one deaerving credit

Reactions: 3 people
..could the entirety of college football not have noticed Butch Jones' abilities...I've been an orange-blooded Vol for much longer than I'd like to admit and I've been wondering for the last couple of years how anyone with the recruiting ability of Butch and with his won-lost records could have not been at the top of so many "elite" teams in their searches prior to his coming here...As we all know, he has to be one of the top recruiters, if not the top one, in the entire country. It just seems that some of those people would have noticed his recruiting quality people [albeit not 4* and up] at CMU and Cincinnati and would have jumped at the opportunity to hire him....I'm obviously glad that that didn't happen and am gloating about what he's doing here [especially as I watch Vandy fans suffer at what is happening] though I still don't understand....

They didn't want to have the largest recruiting budget in the country. Vandy? How about Florida? Raise your standards a little. Regardless of what people trhink about us being cheap when hiring coaches those coaches get a ton of support to help them be successful.

Last edited:
He won multiple conference championships though. How many did Charley Strong win? The op makes a good point. I can understand how fans wouldn't know about Butch. I don't understand how athletic directors seemingly didn't.

***MAC and BIG EAST championships*** and a bowl record of 1-2 (he did not coach CMU or Cincy in year 3). We have found a great coach, but it was a leap of faith that got him hired.

I think a lot of people thought he was riding Brian Kelly's coattails and he wasn't that good. People in our fanbase thought that and were upset when he was hired.

OP my opinion Butch didn't get that recognition. Is many wanted to believe he was riding Brian Kelly's coattails of success. Butch is finally getting his chance to show.

Awww Ben you beat me to it. I would say great minds but most would dispute that with us Being the 2 involved. Lol

Reactions: 1 person

I can't give hart much credit. He got lucky. And so did we.

They didn't. want to have the largest recruiting budget in the country. Candy? How about Florida? Raise your standards a little.

I've detested Vandy from the time I was old enough to know anything about football...Too many of their "elite" status reminders when there's nothing "elite" about them except the pits in sports...So, they are above Florida and even Bama in my list of those that I detest....But, I'm really old school....

In before ChattaVol420 comes in with CBJ is too conservative and that's why nobody sees his ability as a coach.

I've detested Vandy from the time I was old enough to know anything about football...Too many of their "elite" status reminders when there's nothing "elite" about them except the pits in sports...So, they are above Florida and even Bama in my list of those that I detest....But, I'm really old school....

Fair enough...... Carry on.

B. Kelly hasn't shown much as a raving success at ND, has he? Just maybe his assistant coaches (CBJ in particular) were the keys to his success. Regardless, I am thrilled to have Butch at UT. :hi:

He's a great recruiter but he's also selling an excellent brand name product (UT). This university nearly recruits for itself; hell even Derek Dooley managed to recruit in the top 15-20 consistently.

Imo Butch is an elite recruiter however the jury us still out on him being a great coach. I think he has a chance to be but he can't be considered a great coach yet by any stretch.

Does this suggest that the UT Athletic Dept went 1 for 3 with coaching hires?
.333 batting average, not bad, however, Dooley and Kitten were whiffs at best

I think this had a lot to do with his reputation. CBJ appears to be on a mission to prove to everyone........HE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!

Honestly, until a coach like him gets the opportunity and support of a program like UT, there a probably a lot of Coach Joneses out there.

Glad we got ours.........Go Vols! :clapping::dance2::peace2:

B. Kelly hasn't shown much as a raving success at ND, has he? Just maybe his assistant coaches (CBJ in particular) were the keys to his success. Regardless, I am thrilled to have Butch at UT. :hi:

Butch and Kelly only coached together for one year in 2004 at Central Michigan and their record was. 4-7. Not sure you can credit Butch for any success Kelly has had.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back