3 underrated things about UT Offense in 2015.

HeyHeyUT

1. Offensive line improvement might not be a deal breaker.

Of course they will be improved. We will have more talent, age, strength, and experience. But, with the exception of the game against Vanderbilt, Dobbs has shown that he is so difficult to defend that this offense can put up a lot of yards and points even with the worst oline in the SEC.... Why is this a good thing? Because the Oline, at its best, will be one of the worst in the SEC in 2015.

2. Healthy Receivers

There were a lot of Dobbs bashers every time he missed a pass or took some sacks. As much as the offensive line had to do with that, the biggest problem was receivers. Offense is about timing and consistency and you can’t have timing when 4 of your top 5 receivers are out or injured. I am a Georgia native and all my friends are dawg fans- when Aaron Murray’s receivers went down like flies, he looked like Joe Cox back there. When Coach Richt was asked about Murray’s performance in a press conference he replied “It’s very difficult for a QB to complete passes when the receivers aren’t running good routes.”

3. The System

We will have a new coordinator, but the same offense. Last year we had a ton of new starters playing their first year in this offense. Next year they are all returning and their decision making will be more intuitive, meaning everyone on the offense will be 1/2 second faster.

BONUS:

Dobbs is a gamer. Forget South Carolina, he was doing the same thing vs Mizzou prior to the whole onsides kick fiasco... His scramble and hurdle into the end zone was another example that he has that thing you can’t teach when the game is on the line.

What’s it mean? I don’t know... other than I had forgotten what it felt like to truly believe we could win... without putting on some thick orange shades. But now, it’s different, and it’s nice to look at the schedule and be confident in a 4-0 start heading into Arkansas. We are going to be stronger than OU on O and D. And we will be vastly better than UF on O (they only return 5 starters) and not far behind on D.

Reactions: 1 person
Our O-line won't be one of the worst in the SEC in 2015.

And we won't be 4-0 going into Ark because we won't beat Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
because we won't beat Florida.

709555.gif

Reactions: 25 people
Our O-line won't be one of the worst in the SEC in 2015.

And we won't be 4-0 going into Ark because we won't beat Florida.

Other than Florida and Vandy, who can you confidently say has a worse oline than UT next year? We still don't have an SEC caliber OT who has played in a college football game.

1. Offensive line improvement might not be a deal breaker.

Of course they will be improved. We will have more talent, age, strength, and experience. But, with the exception of the game against Vanderbilt, Dobbs has shown that he is so difficult to defend that this offense can put up a lot of yards and points even with the worst oline in the SEC.... Why is this a good thing? Because the Oline, at its best, will be one of the worst in the SEC in 2015.

One big question with the OL is will everyone be able to play at their natural position in '15? If we continue being forced to play OGs at the OT spots we will continue to have breakdowns.

What’s it mean? I don’t know... other than I had forgotten what it felt like to truly believe we could win... without putting on some thick orange shades. But now, it’s different, and it’s nice to look at the schedule and be confident in a 4-0 start heading into Arkansas. We are going to be stronger than OU on O and D. And we will be vastly better than UF on O (they only return 5 starters) and not far behind on D.

Um? We got handled by OU fairly easily in Norman. We lost to the worst UF team in a generation at our place, yet you state we'll be 4-0 to start next season like they're gimmes? I'm all Vol but I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. He11, we haven't beaten UF in a decade. 2015 is just the kind of game we should win but they'll trot out a new QB that can't throw the ball 5yds and beat us by 21pts.

I'll count that game as a win an hour or 2 after the clock hits :00. Fool me oncce,... fool me 11 times, shame on me.

Other than Florida and Vandy, who can you confidently say has a worse oline than UT next year? We still don't have an SEC caliber OT who has played in a college football game.

who woulda believed it at this time last year that ohio state would have an o-line made up of 4 new starters and they would blow up Bama's d-line to the tune of 240 yards rushing in the college football playoff?

things can change quickly in college football. if we nab Richmond and he lives up to his 5 star billing, he could be an instant starter for us at RT. maybe Blair comes in and shows out like Dobbs did this year when no one expected it.

in the world of college football, crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be so quick to write us out from having a pretty good o-line next season.

Um? We got handled by OU fairly easily in Norman. We lost to the worst UF team in a generation at our place, yet you state we'll be 4-0 to start next season like they're gimmes? I'm all Vol but I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. He11, we haven't beaten UF in a decade. 2015 is just the kind of game we should win but they'll trot out a new QB that can't throw the ball 5yds and beat us by 21pts.

I'll count that game as a win an hour or 2 after the clock hits :00. Fool me oncce,... fool me 11 times, shame on me.

the OU game was not as bad as the score. a young Tennessee team made up largely of freshmen was able to hang around in Norman with a team that at the time was ranked 4th in the country.

the Florida game was gut wrenching but you have to remember THAT WAS BEFORE DOBBS. if Dobbs had played that game and the game against UGA, we woulda won both.

I'm ready to discard the last 10 years. Its a new day in Knoxville. And I think some of ya'll should finally embrace it.

4-0 start LOCK. :rock:

OL will be much improved.

Florida is in trouble.

Oklahoma is not same team they were. Neither are we.

Bring it on.

also I don't know why its hard for people to comprehend but YOUNG PLAYERS IMPROVE. our team had so many freshmen and sophmores playing key roles last season against teams made up of redshirt juniors and seniors. those 2-3 years in age are HUGE. even without getting into the upcoming recruiting class. i'm ready to say we'll be much better than last year simply because of the improvement our young guys will make and the fact teams like Missouri that are built entirely on redshirt juniors and seniors, will take a step down.

its a new day folks. and the same ole defeatist attitude should be lost.

I'm ready to discard the last 10 years. Its a new day in Knoxville. And I think some of ya'll should finally embrace it.

4-0 start LOCK. :rock:

Well put, I'm with you! The football landscape tends to change at a glacial pace, with cellar-dwellers and league-leaders being as predictable as a well-crafted time piece. But then, every once in a while, there's a massive shift and some things are suddenly just different.

As hard to predict these metaphorical earthquakes as the real ones, I agree, but it sure seems that something big is happening around the Tennessee program. In this particular case, drawing a straight line from past into future (like 10 Florida wins in a row probably means and 11th, or OU won handily last year, so....) is not necessarily the odds-on choice.

OU will be tough, they always play tough early in the year it seems. Bob Stoops gets them game-ready pre-season really well. That one could go either way. But we're going to stomp Florida like bare-foot Italians on the season's grape harvest. :)

Last edited:
Between Mosely, Blair Jack Jones and Kendrick I expect at least two to step up and be at least average SEC OTs if not better. If not Kerbyson and Coleman Thomas will be better at those positions than last year even though they are interior linemen by trade.

Big Chance Hall will probably redshirt as he fully recovers from torn Achilles.

Last edited:
All of us that bleed Tennessee Orange have high hopes and are believing that we'll be better next season.

I believe that too.

I have no idea how much our O line will improve but I believe that these IF's are important...

If the O line improves and are decent we'll be better.

If Dobbs improves his accuracy, especially on longer passes, and he can stay healthy all season we'll be better.

If our WR's get tougher and fight for the ball, run better routes, get a little more seperation and stay healthy we'll be better.

I have high hopes and believe those things will happen so we can move the ball and score a bit more.

I expect 2 more Wins next season mostly because our D should dominate.

Our D line was good last season but now the D line rotation adds in Tuttle, KMac and our other great incoming DE's so our D line rotation will improve a great deal and when guys go out to get a breather our play won't dropoff much, if any, at all.

Pass rush will be much better and our LB's will help stuff the run.

The better our D line becomes the better our DB's will become too.

It's finally great to look forward to the next season with some solid reasons to expect to take another step back up the mountain towards being a consistent top 10 team again like we should be every year.

I wish our 1st game was tomorrow.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Dobbs is a gamer. Forget South Carolina, he was doing the same thing vs Mizzou prior to the whole onsides kick fiasco... His scramble and hurdle into the end zone was another example that he has that thing you can’t teach when the game is on the line.

We could barely move the ball against Missouri last year.

We could barely move the ball against Missouri last year.

Passing wasn't great either. (Granted he was sacked 6 times and fumbled along with that INT.)

Not to mention it took the kicker shanking the almost automatic extra point twice to even make it a one score game at the end.

im still in wait and see mode on our WR's
Azzani might be a great person and recruiter but his WR's have been inconsistent, hope he can change that this year. Hopefully a new OC wont ask them to crack block so much so maybe they can stay healthier

VN Store

Back