Johnny Majors Learning at 79

VolnJC

I stole this while enjoying the meltdown that is happening on the Ole Miss board

This past weekend, I was in Atlanta for the Nike High School football coaches clinic. Coach Freeze was the featured speaker on Thursday and did a fantastic job. He was energetic and had the crowd's attention. It was easy to tell he was excited about what he is doing. On Friday night, Nick Saban was the headliner. Coach Saban was impressive and came off as personable and engaging.
Here is what fascinated me. Former Tennessee coach Johnny Majors introduced Coach Saban. Coach Majors then came and sat at the table next to me. I looked over at him and he was busily taking notes on a legal pad. He did this for the entire hour of Coach Saban's talk. After the lecture was over, I turned to Coach Majors and told him how impressed I was that he was so busy taking notes. He flashed a big grin and replied, "you never know when I might need to use some of the things I heard here tonight. I might just be planning a comeback."
I learned a great lesson when I watched a man who has been out of coaching for 18 years was still trying to take advantage of a learning opportunity. You are never too old to learn!

Reactions: 19 people
That's wassup. Majors should have told Saban that had you kept running the ball with Derrick Henry and not put game in Blake Sims hands you would have beaten Urban Liar.

Reactions: 7 people
That's wassup. Majors should have told Saban that had you kept running the ball with Derrick Henry and not put game in Blake Sims hands you would have beaten Urban Liar.

hell for that matter, he could have told Pete Carroll the same thing tonight

Reactions: 13 people
cool-story-bro.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

WOW....this x1000000000000000000000000000

:hi::salute:

GO VOLS!

I like the Urban Liar! I always call him Urban Cryer....

hell for that matter, he could have told Pete Carroll the same thing tonight

Yeah guarantee ole Johnny would have ran the Beast. There is zero chance in a similar circumstance that with Reggie Cobb or Chuck Webb that ball wouldn't have been rushed at/or FLY OVER the goal line.

WOW....this x1000000000000000000000000000

:hi::salute:

GO VOLS!

I like the Urban Liar! I always call him Urban Cryer....

All coaches are liars so not too much of a stretch when rhymes with Meyer. But Urban definitely stretches the truth more than the average coach. Cryer is a good one too. Don't stop using it. Ha

Yeah guarantee ole Johnny would have ran the Beast. There is zero chance in a similar circumstance that with Reggie Cobb or Chuck Webb that ball wouldn't have been rushed at/or FLY OVER the goal line.

As Coach Majors used to say during the replays on his coaches show, "Slash, Kelsey, Slash!

As Coach Majors used to say during the replays on his coaches show, "Slash, Kelsey, Slash!

Thought that was, "Pick your feet up, pick your feet up." Johnny's show was a hoot to watch. Wish we had some of those videos on here.

Bear Bryant was a good show when I was a kid. Someone would have a big hit and he would yell "Bingo." And when someone would jump off sides he would say, "it looks like we were out to practice early, here." I don't know if he was talking about the infraction or what the poor soul would be doing for the next week. The best show for him was when he was drunk and under the table, probably around 1969. Bama was horrible around that time.

Thought that was, "Pick your feet up, pick your feet up." Johnny's show was a hoot to watch. Wish we had some of those videos on here.

Bear Bryant was a good show when I was a kid. Someone would have a big hit and he would yell "Bingo." And when someone would jump off sides he would say, "it looks like we were out to practice early, here." I don't know if he was talking about the infraction or what the poor soul would be doing for the next week. The best show for him was when he was drunk and under the table, probably around 1969. Bama was horrible around that time.

Here is the 1991 UT-ND video for the JMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-toq-AgN0

Pretty sure they llost that game because they couldn't stop anyone.

I think CJM would tell CNS, "Run it up the middle the 1st play of every game."

VN Store

Back