trust the coach

orangepeopleeater

I have to say I have never seen so much buzz about a new coordinator before. With posters saying this could make or break the team ... you would think we were hiring a new head coach. If Coach Jones wants he probably could run the offense himself. I just find it funny how the fan base can hinge a whole career on one hire. Enjoy the recruiting and trust the coach ... he will find who he feels comfortable with.

Reactions: 7 people
"Trust the coach " was the Same thing said when phill and Dooley made the silly hires. (Claw &Sal) Let's hope Butch doesn't make a silly non beneficial hire like Debord

Reactions: 8 people
OP hasn't been around much apparently. This is no different than many other coordinator hires around here. I'm glad we trusted Phil and Dooley!

Reactions: 3 people
I have to say I have never seen so much buzz about a new coordinator before. With posters saying this could make or break the team ... you would think we were hiring a new head coach. If Coach Jones wants he probably could run the offense himself. I just find it funny how the fan base can hinge a whole career on one hire. Enjoy the recruiting and trust the coach ... he will find who he feels comfortable with.

I stopped doing that after the Kiffin fiasco.:eek:hmy:

Reactions: 1 person
Denied is the logical choice. I am okay with that. As long as he gets the ball in the hands of the playmakers, I will be ghost.

Were you around when Fulmer hired Clawson? How about Sunseri? Yes a bad hire can derail a career.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah CPF belongs in the same category as Dooley. Where do you people come from? You should be run out on a rail for even mentioning them in the same sentence.

If I remember correctly it was the fan base that ran Sanders out of Tennessee. The same offensive coordinator that won a National Championship last year. When he was getting replaced by fan favorite coordinater that left the team "again" and Clawson that the way they talked Fulmer didn't want but boosters and head over the athletic depth did. I have been watching Tennessee football for years. If I learned one thing is if you choose a coach don't listen to the fan base. You would still be sitting on the tarmac waiting for John's plane to come in.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly it was the fan base that ran Sanders out of Tennessee. The same offensive coordinator that won a National Championship last year. When he was getting replaced by fan favorite coordinater that left the team "again" and Richmond that the way they talked Fulmer didn't want but boosters and head over the athletic depth did. I have been watching Tennessee football for years. If I learned one thing is if you choose a coach don't listen to the fan base. You would still be sitting on the tarmac waiting for John's plane to come in.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard Randy Sanders issue was Phil not allowing him to call plays the way he wanted. I haven't heard conformation of this.

Were you around when Fulmer hired Clawson? How about Sunseri? Yes a bad hire can derail a career.

I am not sure we gave either of those hires enough time to see any positive results. It takes time to teach new offensive and defensive systems, even when you have talent players. It is almost impossible to have positive results when you have new systems and marginal talent. The same posters, plus some new add ons, are the ones we had to listen to or read their less than informed posts, we are seeing now . The big difference now is we have a base of really good young talent and more arriving next Wednesday. Butch will still run his system and the assistant coaches will still teach their positions. However, they will be teaching talented and eager players. Happy days are here and will remain for the next 10-12 years as long os VBJ remains HC. Assistants will come and go, but the football program will compete for Championships for the next decade.

If I remember correctly it was the fan base that ran Sanders out of Tennessee. The same offensive coordinator that won a National Championship last year. When he was getting replaced by fan favorite coordinater that left the team "again" and Clawson that the way they talked Fulmer didn't want but boosters and head over the athletic depth did. I have been watching Tennessee football for years. If I learned one thing is if you choose a coach don't listen to the fan base. You would still be sitting on the tarmac waiting for John's plane to come in.

Promoting Sanders was the starting of UT's demise. Our offense was TERRIBLE under Sanders--and got worse every year. Fulmer sacked him--and Fulmer didn't like sacking any of his buddies no matter how bad they were. Let's not act like Jones is infallible--he's already made some pretty massive mistakes.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard Randy Sanders issue was Phil not allowing him to call plays the way he wanted. I haven't heard conformation of this.

Believe true. Randy got out in time. Phil was done. His time had come and gone. Randy's not doing to shabby now, though. :yes:

GO VOLS!

Believe true. Randy got out in time. Phil was done. His time had come and gone. Randy's not doing to shabby now, though. :yes:

GO VOLS!

cronyism
/ˈkrəʊnɪˌɪzəm/
noun
1. the practice of appointing friends to high-level, esp political, posts regardless of their suitability

Pretty much sums up the hiring of DeBord, right there. Two thoughts to reinforce the critical nature of this hire.

1) Phil Fulmer hires Dave Clawson = team went 5-7 = Fulmer Fired

2) Derek Dooley (who had the very same regular season record Butch now does, after 2 seasons) hires Sal Sunseri = team went 5-7 = Dooley fired.

See a nasty pattern re-occurring , here?

Last edited:
"Trust the coach " was the Same thing said when phill and Dooley made the silly hires. (Claw &Sal) Let's hope Butch doesn't make a silly non beneficial hire like Debord
This....all day.

tumblr_nijsbuC4Jy1smmsbuo1_400.gif

In sheep we trust..Obama says hello..trust me america I'm your caretaker..

Should I have put this in a different language because if u travel to NY, Chicago, Miami, or Houston etc.. Its not English.. Lol

Nobody is asking Butch to take a poll. Just to hire the most qualified OC he can, and obviously one who is a good fit. DeBord is neither.

Everybody was pleasuring themselves over both of those hires when they happened
Are you smoking crack, right now? I don't recall many liking the prospect of their being hired....just some sunshine pumpers convincing themselves cold, bland oatmeal was really tasty :rolleyes:

...just like they did with the Kiffin and Dooley hires. Neither of them had the credentials (you know, a winning record as a HC to start with) to be hired for the HC position.

In what facet could you possibly prove he'd be "non beneficial?" Give the man a year, if hired.

Everybody was pleasuring themselves over both of those hires when they happened

I wasn't. I didn't know anything about Clawson. Thought it was a strange hire (I was hoping they would go after Tulsa's OC...whatever happened to him?).

I, like plenty of others, thought switching over to the 3-4 defense was not a good idea.

VN Store

Back