Mike Sanford or Mike DeBord... That seems to be the top 2

CNeagleVolFan

Mike DeBord has always been called the clubhouse leader, and not many on here are happy about that. As of right now I'm neutral about DeBord, because he hasn't coached in so long. I don't know what DeBord can do, but it seems like we all may know next season.

Then you have the Mike most people want.. Mike Sanford. Sanford is a proven OC a top 10 offense last season at Boise State, and he is a proven commodity. The only thing that makes this seem odd is the fact that he's already turned down Vanderbilt for almost double his current salary, and he's also turned down a raise with this years national championship team OSU. So really how believable is this?? Seems to me like he may be a tough get, but I'm holding out hope for Mike Sanford.. The best Mike haha.

Reactions: 1 person
Mike DeBord has always been called the clubhouse leader, and not many on here are happy about that. As of right now I'm neutral about DeBord, because he hasn't coached in so long. I don't know what DeBord can do, but it seems like we all may know next season.

Then you have the Mike most people want.. Mike Sanford. Sanford is a proven OC a top 10 offense last season at Boise State, and he is a proven commodity. The only thing that makes this seem odd is the fact that he's already turned down Vanderbilt for almost double his current salary, and he's also turned down a raise with this years national championship team OSU. So really how believable is this?? Seems to me like he may be a tough get, but I'm holding out hope for Mike Sanford.. The best Mike haha.

Your opinion or do you have somebody that knows somebody?

Why would an OC making a name for himself nationally (Sanford) come here to run Butch's offense?

Reactions: 2 people
You all had me curious on debord so I did some research. Someone with more time than myself can make snipets of this for the rest of you but it's a good read and so are the comments. Butch was his OC at central Michigan so everyone saying debord ran a pro style offense isn't correct. Lloyd Carr was the coach. Debord just called the plays. Anyways i trust my coach no matter what. He is busting his tale and sacrificing his time with his family to build back our dreams. I wouldn't care who he brought if he thinks they are the right fit for OUR football team. Go vols!!

On Coaching or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DeBord | mgoblog

Reactions: 8 people
Why would an OC making a name for himself nationally (Sanford) come here to run Butch's offense?

Because success in the SEC will move you up quicker than anywhere else in college football. We're getting the players, and we haven't seen this offense's full potential yet.

Reactions: 4 people
Not trying to be that guy, but I guess I will: Do we really need another thread on this?

Flame away

Reactions: 3 people
One guy is the hot candidate with impressive stats who it seems everyone wants to hire. The other has been out of football for years. Tough choice.

One guy is the hot candidate with impressive stats who it seems everyone wants to hire. The other has been out of football for years. Tough choice.

So? there are several here that have never been 'in' fb and tell us exactly what plays should have been called each week. ;)

Reactions: 6 people

I think we end up with DeBord. Sanford has turned down 2 jobs this month alone. Both of which opened the check book up for them. I want to sign him as much as the next guy.

I think we end up with DeBord. Sanford has turned down 2 jobs this month alone. Both of which opened the check book up for them. I want to sign him as much as the next guy.

He turned down the death sentence that is Vandy. Not sure that really counts

Reactions: 9 people
I'd be happy with either.

The more I look into and think about DeBord, the more interesting he gets. Like a Cutcliffe without the Duke gig, waiting to be snatched up.

What? I'll explain.

I've always thought that Michigan and Tennessee were "lost twins" over the past 25 years: Michigan NC in '97 and Tennessee in '98 ... the almost eerie parallel tracks of Carr and Fulmer's head coaching careers, particularly toward the end ... the down years since those iconic coaches left ... the experimentation with flashy but flawed coaches (Kiffin, Rodriguez).

And the resemblance extends even to the two NC OCs, David Cutcliffe and Mike DeBord. Both older than average, not flashy at all to look at, brilliant in Xs and Os and (according to reports) surprisingly effective on the recruiting trail. Both left their NC teams for HC jobs elsewhere (Cutcliffe to Ole Miss, '99 to '04, DeBord to CMU '00 to '03) only to return "home" again to resume OC duties. The big difference in their paths came in 2008: DeBord swung for the home run to be Carr's successor at Michigan, and missed; Cutcliffe swung for a solid double (ACC basement dwelling Duke) instead, and made it. And that has made all the difference since.

Tell me, if Cutcliffe were looking for the OC job today, would you hire him? Assuming he knew enough to carry our offense without big change, I certainly would. And more and more, that's how I'm coming to see DeBord. I know he knows how spread offenses work, and otherwise I see David Cutcliffe in him...but maybe hungrier, because he's been on the outside looking in for a couple of years. Hungry is also good.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest, share the epiphany that took me from early dismay at DeBord's name to what is now comfort, maybe even eagerness.

We could most certainly do worse.

I'd be happy with either of these gentlemen.

Reactions: 21 people
IF it ends up DeBord I am just relieved he went and put in the time to learn from Tom Moore on Peyton's spread style offense Indy ran. He was given the green light to unleash it on Florida/Urban Meyer/Charlie Strong....and had 500+ total yards and 41 points....with Big 10 athletes.

Sanford would surprise me. He's been a journeyman early in his career and now running the show as OC at his alma matter. That may be good enough for him at this point. If Debord is coming here...I pray it's in a supporting role and not as OC.

The OP is surprised that Sanford would consider us after turning down Vandy????? Really?? He would have been stupid to go to Vandy. He would be inheriting a good spread offense and some serious offensive talent at UT next year. I think he'd be stronger than DeBord.

I'd be happy with either.

The more I look into and think about DeBord, the more interesting he gets. Like a Cutcliffe without the Duke gig, waiting to be snatched up.

What? I'll explain.

I've always thought that Michigan and Tennessee were "lost twins" over the past 25 years: Michigan NC in '97 and Tennessee in '98 ... the almost eerie parallel tracks of Carr and Fulmer's head coaching careers, particularly toward the end ... the down years since those iconic coaches left ... the experimentation with flashy but flawed coaches (Kiffin, Rodriguez).

And the resemblance extends even to the two NC OCs, David Cutcliffe and Mike DeBord. Both older than average, not flashy at all to look at, brilliant in Xs and Os and (according to reports) surprisingly effective on the recruiting trail. Both left their NC teams for HC jobs elsewhere (Cutcliffe to Ole Miss, '99 to '04, DeBord to CMU '00 to '03) only to return "home" again to resume OC duties. The big difference in their paths came in 2008: DeBord swung for the home run to be Carr's successor at Michigan, and missed; Cutcliffe swung for a solid double (ACC basement dwelling Duke) instead, and made it. And that has made all the difference since.

Tell me, if Cutcliffe were looking for the OC job today, would you hire him? Assuming he knew enough to carry our offense without big change, I certainly would. And more and more, that's how I'm coming to see DeBord. I know he knows how spread offenses work, and otherwise I see David Cutcliffe in him...but maybe hungrier, because he's been on the outside looking in for a couple of years. Hungry is also good.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest, share the epiphany that took me from early dismay at DeBord's name to what is now comfort, maybe even eagerness.

We could most certainly do worse.

I'd be happy with either of these gentlemen.

:good!:Brilliant post. You my good man (lady) have looked beyond the old, bald, out of work synopsis and laid it out point blank to the naysayers. It's sad that the rednecks (yes, I said it) will continue to redneck simply because they don't understand that their ignorance is what makes them so redneckish. Flame away rednecks!

The OP is surprised that Sanford would consider us after turning down Vandy????? Really??

You're misquoting the OP by omitting context. He said Sanford turned down Vandy (and huge bucks), as well as Ohio State (and huge bucks). You're conveniently ignoring the 800-pound Ohio State in his statement. He wasn't comparing us to Vandy, he was comparing us to the combo of those two schools, one SEC the other National Champ. :p The point is, we're SEC, and we're trending really strong toward greatness, but between those two schools he's already turned down, our strong arguments for him to join us are kind of already covered.

VN Store

Back