For those interested email regarding The band

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
January 29, 2015

To: Faculty, Staff and Students
Subject: Great News for the Pride of the Southland Band

I am pleased to share some great news regarding the leadership of our beloved Pride of the Southland Band.

Effective February 1, Don Ryder will begin serving as the director of bands. Mike Stewart has also been named the associate director of bands.

As the permanent director, Don will hold the W J Julian Professor of Bands professorship, which was created in 2007 through generous support from alumni, friends, and former students.

Don and Mike have done a great job serving as interim director and associate director since October 2013. It has been a very successful year for the Pride of the Southland Band. The band has continued our great traditions and added several new ones that have been well received by everyone, especially Volunteer fans. The band has added new music in the stands and made other additions that contribute to its high quality performance and an exciting game atmosphere.

I am grateful to Don and Mike for their willingness to serve. We look forward to working together and continuing to support the great work of the Pride and its special place at our university.

Please join me in congratulating Don and Mike on this appointment and thanking them for their service to UT.

Reactions: 7 people
I thought they did an awesome job this year. And they actually looked like they were having fun!

Yes, another 10 years of playing high energy songs like Separate Ways and Come on Eileen!

Congrats to both gentlemen on their new challenges! Wish them and the band the best....

Now we need 15 new threads about whether Don has what it takes to be a head coach (I mean, director) in the SEC, and whether Mike is too old to be the offensive coordinator (err, associate director). Let's go, VolNation, sic 'em! :)

Last edited:
Congrats to both gentlemen on their new challenges! Wish them and the band the best in years to come.

Now we need 15 new threads asking whether Don Ryder has what it takes to be a head coach (I mean, director) in the SEC, and whether Mike Stewart is too old to be the offensive coordinator (err, associate director). Let's parse this down to mush just like we do for the football team! :)))))

Just how much experience do they have running the circle drill?

e7b9bad727e8659689dcad4c7e4d603b.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Congratulations men. Keep the "pride" marching.
Also, I don't want to hear they can't be going to away games. :no:

GO VOLS!

Congratulations men. Keep the "pride" marching.
Also, I don't want to hear they can't be going to away games. :no:

GO VOLS!

Then I suggest you put your fingers in your ears, turn the other way, and start saying "LALALALALA" when that part comes out.

Personally, I think the band is outstanding and certainly superlative in comparison with other bands. There has never been a time when I didn't think that "our band is better than your band."

Anyone who can recall the POTSB performances this last year especially compared to the Alabama band at home, the Vandy band at their little place, and the Iowa band at the TaxSlayer bowl knows that the POTSB outperformed them all by a country mile.

And, perhaps it is just me, but the POTSB performances in the last couple of years have become a little more contemporary, i.e., more appealing to the younger persons in the crowd which I think that is a good thing.

Personally, I think the band is outstanding and certainly superlative in comparison with other bands. There has never been a time when I didn't think that "our band is better than your band."

Anyone who can recall the POTSB performances this last year especially compared to the Alabama band at home, the Vandy band at their little place, and the Iowa band at the TaxSlayer bowl knows that the POTSB outperformed them all by a country mile.

And, perhaps it is just me, but the POTSB performances in the last couple of years have become a little more contemporary, i.e., more appealing to the younger persons in the crowd which I think that is a good thing.

The Million Dollar Band won at majorettes. They were just... daaaammmmmnnnnn.

So are they great or awful?

The two guys, not the band!!! Sheesh, I know the band is great. :p

But I remember reading a lot of grousing by former band members that the choice of music, drills, etc. had gone downhill, and I don't remember if these two were involved in the perceived decline, or if they were expected to fire things back up.

VN Store

Back