Brent Hubbs on 104.5 just said...

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
- Butch hasn't announced OC hire because he's focused on finishing this recruiting class with less than a week til signing day

-Butch just got back from Memphis where he personally visited Ole Miss commit 5* OT Drew Richmond

-Visit went very well and ended with an agreement that Drew and his family will visit Knoxville this weekend, giving us the chance to make last impression

-Says Ole Miss media and fans are nervous because he previously refused to visit any other schools and now he's headed our way.

-Thinks he might flip but odds are in Ole Miss's favor still BUT we had NO chance before visit.

-Said Butch privately turned away "a handful" of 4* guys, indicating more cuts will be made from current commit list and that he likely has at least 2 planned for NSD

***EDIT*** the previous point was actually made by the 104.5 hosts after Hubbs hung up (3HL?) This was brought to my attention. Sorry for attributing this point to Hubbs. This was posted about 10 minutes after the interview and was entirely based on my memory. So, if you are for some reason offended that the 3HL guys made this point and not Hubbs, I am sorry. Either way, the hosts stated this fact based on their conversation with RH.

Lastly, he said TN COULD end up with #1 class if Richmond flips and we pick up one other 4-5*

As long as nobody flips from our current commits, we will 100% land a top-5 class, becoming the first time in school history with back-to-back top 5 classes. (Including Fulmer era)

All good news! That last fact surprised me. Butch has recruited better than ANY UT coach before him!

Hard to believe, but all I can say is I believe!
B
O
O
M

Last edited:
Reactions: 136 people
tumblr_n1q4oxtKqp1qip44to1_500.gif

Reactions: 63 people
- Butch hasn't announced OC hire because he's focused on finishing this recruiting class with less than a week til signing day

-Butch just got back from Memphis where he personally visited Ole Miss commit 5* OT Drew Richmond

-Visit went very well and ended with an agreement that Drew and his family will visit Knoxville this weekend, giving us the chance to make last impression

-Says Ole Miss media and fans are nervous because he previously refused to visit any other schools and now he's headed our way.

-Thinks he might flip but odds are in Ole Miss's favor still BUT we had NO chance before visit.

-Said Butch privately turned away "a handful" of 4* guys, indicating more cuts will be made from current commit list and that he likely has at least 2 planned for NSD

Lastly, he said TN COULD end up with #1 class if Richmond flips and we pick up one other 4-5*

As long as nobody flips from our current commits, we will 100% land a top-5 class, becoming the first time in school history with back-to-back top 5 classes. (Including Fulmer era)

All good news! That last fact surprised me. Butch has recruited better than ANY UT coach before him!

Hard to believe, but all I can say is I believe!
B
O
O
M

Thanks for the great news!

Reactions: 1 person
always thought that may have been why fulmer teams couldnt win the big ones. ya gotta cruit year in and out

I cant even remember when we were casually talking about turning away MULTIPLE 4* star players - even to the point of bouncing some that we already have - just to make room for others even better. Crazy good times recruiting wise.

Reactions: 2 people
He wouldn't turn away quarte since he just committed today would he? I just hope the guys he may have to turn away aren't fan favorites, and that they already know there may be a chance of that happening.

Interesting that Butch won't announce "the hire" until basically after signing day. That makes me think that DeBord is definitely our guy, someone from the NFL, or someone that isn't currently part of a college team.

You would think if it was a college guy, the school would have already announced his departure. Unless there is a mutual decision that the announcement has to be after NSD to hold onto that school's recruiting class.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back