Meltdown over the new O.C.

CTVolsfan14

twitter- CJSOUSA14
Granted - not on the sight as much as normal - so if somebody already wen't on a rant I am about to go on - delete it and it won't hurt my feelings.

But fellas.. we all need to chill. This DeBord guy, I'll be honest, I don't know too much about him just like the most of you.

To be honest again, I didn't know a whole bunch about Butch Jones either other then he lost to Derek Dooley (WOW!!!!!!!).

To be honest a third time, I was pissed off when we hired this dude from Cincy and I thought it was a worse hire then Dooley. I wasn't properly informed, but I had brash incriminating opinions.

I knew exactly who Sal Sunseri was, he was going to make our defense "JUST LIKE BAMA BABY!"

I'm a Patriots fan - the best O.C. we've had since the last SB win in 04 - by far - has been Bill O Brien. Every Patriot fan freaked out when he was hired because "WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY! HE CAN'T COACH".

The main point I'm getting at, is if Butch Jones did his homework, and given our situation thinks this DeBord fella is the best option.. then Dammit I HOPE we hire him.

All too often the coaching changes celebrated immediatly don't pan out, and the guys who we "say who the heck is he" surprises.

Just like the QB situation all year. Butch knows. He's in the building. He's around the team 25 hours a day and 8 days a week. Whoever he thinks will be the best option for his team.. he will get. So that is who we should want.

What, you think Butch doesn't want to be employed in a few years?

I get it about DeBord specifically. Old dude (But not really). Not a major recruiting adv. ect. Who do yall want? Who, on January 28, is really available and ready to jump into Knoxville.

Everyone needs to relax and not judge the hire until a year or two down the road. The system is in place. I compare Tennessee to the Patriots because that is who I wish the Vols will become and I know both teams extremely well. The Pats are dominant year after year, no matter who comes through and out the door.

Every year the Patriots lose asst. coaches, big name players. Every year though, Belichick (No matter what your opinion is of him) has the system in place and the Patriots will blindly win 10-11 games, a division title, and probably a trip to the conference championship at the least. Why? A) he has #12, yes, but B) The SYSTEM IS IN PLACE.

Butch is here. And I believe he is here to stay. The system is in place. Dammit if he wanted to hire Miss Rosey the old lady who gets my coffee just right every morning at starbucks I'm on board if he thought she was the best option.

Sit back. Enjoy the Super Bowl. Enjoy signing day. Get the JD ready for the spring game, and let's knock some people's socks off next year in the SECE.

GO EFFIN VOLS:rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
I logged onto VolNation this morning to find a post comparing Butch to Bill Belichick so I think my morning's going pretty well.

Reactions: 6 people
I logged onto VolNation this morning to find a post comparing Butch to Bill Belichick so I think my morning's going pretty well.

when did I compare the two? Just stating the fact that both have their systems in place. BB is one of the 5 greatest NFL coaches in the history of the league today, and Butch has yet to accomplish anything. Don't put words in my mouth now..

Reactions: 3 people
You think O'Brien is "by far" better than McDaniels?

I do, and I think most patriots fans would agree. Joshy Mac just gets too predictable at times. Love the whole "run it til they stop it" idea, but to a point. Have to say tho, he made the call of the season agaisnt Baltimore with the double pass.

Being a coord. and a HC is two completely different things.. but if you look at what B.O.B. has done in Houston, while looking at what Josh did in St Louis and Denver, I think it's not that close of a debate.

Reactions: 1 person
Now this is pretty cool......

doc-holliday-cup-spin-tombstone-o.gif

I looked him up on google and his record at Central Michigan was like 2 wins his 1st season, 2 his 2nd, 3 his 3rd & 4 in his 4th season. So, it appears that he is a horrible head coach.
One can win at Central Michigan. I have seen them in a bowl game before. So for other coaches to win there and him not win there doesn't send a good signal.
However; it may be the case in which he is a good coordinator but a horrible head coach. That could happen. Look at Muschamp for instance, a good coordinator but a horrible head coach.
Maybe this is the case with Debord.

TL;DR

Saban has had 4 OC's during his time at Bama.

While there may be slight tweaks to our offense, the core of it will remain the same including the call signs. The second most important thing is that we are bringing in top talent. Top talent and consistent offense and defense will have us in the national title conversation really soon. Enough said

I don't the the fan base will. Melt down over a coordinator hire one way or another. Nobody was excited about blajakian to begin with so most will probably be excited to have any new blood in here.
It is funny how you said I was dissapointed when we hired some guy from cincy and boy was in wrong... I just don't get what butch has done. His game management has been awful! And We've lost nearly every close game he's coached in since he's been here. I'm really excited about the recruiting but equally as worried about his decision making. And it's not just letting the clock run out at the ends of the first half in close games an such...Its decisions like what players to play. For God sakes... He choose worley to run our read option offense. Why does our fan base not understand that this decision costs us several major games.
All I'm saying is the jury should still be out in Jones. He made no where near the improvement from year one to two that all the top coaches have made in recent years.

Even though I wrote something along the lines of "this is going to be boring and frustrating and we'll run all day" the day before, I was still surprised and dismayed. Michigan fans have split into two warring groups, one running around declaring Mike DeBord to be the devil, the other dismissing the game as a meaningless blip. Personally? I'm torn.

Mike DeBord does have some pointy-horn qualities about him. The kind of contemptuous gameplan assembled today is one reason we generally lose to some team we shouldn't. Michigan's bizarre strategy when coming up against obviously inferior teams is to run as much as possible, reducing the number of possessions in a game, giving away much of our advantage on offense by being remarkably predictable, and getting ourselves locked in close games. While the strategy reduces the chances of disaster but increases the chances said disaster will be fatal instead of annoying. It's dumb.

And don't give me guff about hiding the playbook for Ohio State. The Rosetta Stone to our offense is not a first-down slant. Throwing one will not cause the scales to fall from Tressel's eyes. Also not something to provide guff-like substance about: Mike DeBord's record as offensive coordinator, now something like 41-5 (I cannot be bothered to look it up, since it's a crap stat). DeBord's been OC here for four years and has had the good fortune to coach opposite two of the finest defenses in Michigan history. He's a pitcher who gets 8 runs a game from his offense: his win-loss record is virtually meaningless. If he didn't have a gaudy record it would be conclusive proof that he is inept.

MGoBlog, October 2006. This was in the middle of an 11-0 start.

I don't the the fan base will. Melt down over a coordinator hire one way or another. Nobody was excited about blajakian to begin with so most will probably be excited to have any new blood in here.
It is funny how you said I was dissapointed when we hired some guy from cincy and boy was in wrong... I just don't get what butch has done. His game management has been awful! And We've lost nearly every close game he's coached in since he's been here. I'm really excited about the recruiting but equally as worried about his decision making. And it's not just letting the clock run out at the ends of the first half in close games an such...Its decisions like what players to play. For God sakes... He choose worley to run our read option offense. Why does our fan base not understand that this decision costs us several major games.
All I'm saying is the jury should still be out in Jones. He made no where near the improvement from year one to two that all the top coaches have made in recent years.

ChangCommunityBullcrap.gif

If you expected a bigger improvement with the talent left over, or counting on true freshman to play better in the SEC, you're either high or stupid.

Reactions: 7 people
If you expected a bigger improvement with the talent left over, or counting on true freshman to play better in the SEC, you're either high or stupid.

To his point, there were a lot of posters on here last off-season that pointed to Butch's year 2 teams at CMU and Cincy. IMO, it was a rather dumb comparison but a lot of folks put stock in it.

VN Store

Back