The Argument Against Debord

VolnJC

I've heard lots of arguments on this board why so many don't want Butch to hire Debord, from "He isn't even coaching now" to "he got beat by Appy State". I think the real reason that most don't like him is that he is older and not a splashy hire that will excite recruits and the fan base...its nothing more than age discrimination. The guy has done it all from being a HC in college to coaching in the pros. I would rather see him here than a young OC that has had only one or two years experience. Debord is smart, he has a masters degree and has been inducted into the Indiana hall of fame. He is also only 58..some of you guys talk like he is 70.
His coaching resume:
Mike DeBord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1982–1983
1985–1986
1987–1988
1988–1989
1990–1991
1992–1996
1997–1999
2000–2003
2004–2005
2006–2007
2010–2012
Franklin (IN) (OL)
Fort Hays State (OL)
Fort Hays State (OC/QB/WR)
Eastern Illinois (OL)
Ball State (OL)
Colorado State (OL)
Northwestern (OL)
Michigan (OL)
Michigan (OC)
Central Michigan
Michigan (ST/RC)
Michigan (OC/TE)
Seattle Seahawks (Asst. OL)
Seattle Seahawks (TE)
Chicago Bears (TE)

Head coaching record
Overall
12–34

Reactions: 5 people
wait, i thought debord was here over the weekend as a consultant, not a candidate? did i miss something?

Reactions: 1 person
This will get buried in the ignorance here, but go and watch this video (quality is awful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIAoIPSKek&feature=youtu.be

Michigan vs. Florida, 2008 Capital One Bowl. DeBord (OC) petitioned Rich Rodriguez to let him run a spread offense because he knew he could beat Florida that way.

He knows how to run a spread offense.

Now, continue the squawking and poo flinging.

Reactions: 7 people
wait, i thought debord was here over the weekend as a consultant, not a candidate? did i miss something?

who knows..I just don't understand why everyone hated it when it was reported as a "done deal" a couple of days ago

So we want another HC with a losing record to be a coach? It worked out great before didn't it? Weak argument. Yes its his age but its more about what he has done, which is basically nothing. We need a guy who is at least familiar with the spread offense and can recruit. Debord is not that guy.

Oh and before you bring up the big "1997 Michigan" team, check the offensive stats. It was the defense, not Debords offense that got them the title.

Well, the one benefit of someone like Debord over a Mike Novell type hire is that Debord is not going to be leaving to HC somewhere else once we start hitting all cylinders in 2016 or so. I am not sure we could recruit better than we have considering our recent history so splashy OC is not really going to make the difference there.

I would prefer the best offensive mind in college ball - but then, CBJ may consider that the most important focus is to have a stable program that marches to the beat of his specifications so he can crank out top level jimmies and joes, which he feels is a more consistent winning strategy over the long haul than getting the best Xs and Os people.

I have no idea who CBJ is going to hire and I may or may not like who it is, but basically - its his ass in the frying pan if its a bad choice (no doubt Fulmer has given him some advice there) - and so far, he has been making mostly good choices.

Reactions: 2 people
So we want another HC with a losing record to be a coach? It worked out great before didn't it? Weak argument. Yes its his age but its more about what he has done, which is basically nothing. We need a guy who is at least familiar with the spread offense and can recruit. Debord is not that guy.

Oh and before you bring up the big "1997 Michigan" team, check the offensive stats. It was the defense, not Debords offense that got them the title.

He was 52-11 as an OC

Reactions: 6 people
Another thread got me like

maxresdefault.jpg

It might be nice to hire a coach with recent, proven results. A guy who other schools want to be their OC, instead of their field hockey coach.

I think that a lot of it is that he's an old, bald, cracker but they won't say that. I was in a big internets battle over his lack of experience running a spread. I was arguing that he's been a coach for decades and even at the highest level of football that exists... he can probably figure out Butch's offense.

I'd kind of like to have the guy on board... especially if Azzanni stays... possibly as a play caller with DeBord mentoring him.

It might be nice to hire a coach with recent, proven results. A guy who other schools want to be their OC, instead of their field hockey coach.

Considering he's turned down several NFL offers in recent years......

Atlanta Falcons are also considering him

Having a Master Degree does not necessarily mean he's smart. I know plenty of idiots with a Masters.

Reactions: 11 people

The Atlanta Falcons and three other NFL teams are trying to hire him right now. Maybe just to be in charge of ball inflation, but pursuing him none the less.

Griese had a QB rating of 140...3 RBs averaging over 4.5 yards per carry...yeah they were bad on offense

1997 | Michigan Wolverines Football Statistics and Results | Totalfootballstats.com

The Atlanta Falcons and three other NFL teams are trying to hire him right now. Maybe just to be in charge of ball inflation, but pursuing him none the less.

I hope 1 of the 3 hires him. you got to have a science degree to be in charge of ball inflation. So I heard.

So you know more than Butch? You "know" who Butch should hire to run his offense? I do not understand how you are not an offensive coordinator.

Older guy is more experienced and will not leave the program for an advancement. Younger guy will bring youth and energy to the program but will likely leave the program once he has obtained success here. Mike Bobo, Will Muschamp, David Cutcliffe, etc. etc.

Smart and a master's degree is pretty strong.

But maybe if UT holds out they can land someone smart with a law degree.

Oh, wait.

VN Store

Back