I trust Coach ______ defense is used EVERY time

VOLorNuttin

...and has failed miserably almost every time. I like Butch as much as the next guy, and I am super excited about our chances to win the division next year. That is why I REALLY want Butch to knock this thing (OC hire) out of the park.

But, I'm terribly concerned that Butch may be falling victim to the familiarity/association trap (ie, like Hamilton did Hiring Kiffin and Dooley based on their familiarity/association with Monte and Saban, respectively) with DeBord. Just blindly defending what appears to be a bad hire, has a terrible track record lately.

Nothing about his resume says "prolific" The 97 NC team had an average offense, but great defense. His offense doesn't even remotely resemble what Butch has since developed AFTER his association with DeBord.

Butch's offense mirrors that of Rich Rodriguez, whose current offense is putting up big numbers. Hiring one of his co-OC's would therefore make the most sense. Both of whom Butch has worked with since.

DeBord seems more like repaying a debt, for helping Butch get started long ago...than hiring the most qualified....TODAY.

Rod Smith or Calvin MaGee would be guys that we could all be happy about. Bill Legg's offense is VERY similar to ours...and his Marshall offense was the 2nd most prolific in College (FBS), last year.

One of my favorites would be Meacham at TCU. Smaller program than our own...and less talent overall. But they manhandled both Oklahoma and Ole Miss, this year. Two teams that didn't just beat us, but thumped us, soundly.

Give him Dobbs, North, Malone, Pearson, Hurd and Wolf...and he can hand out the same kind of azz-whoopin's he gave OK and Ole Miss.

Call it "sexy" hire if you will. It's just a matter of looking at who has demonstrated success at that position, lately. It's what any employer is looking for.

Reactions: 22 people
Honestly no one has any other choice than to trust the coaching staff, or stop watching.
We're talking about folks not voicing concerns about some of the decisions coaches may make....usually having to do with staff hires. Such as the hiring of "the best staff in America"

If it's a thank you deal that works out then we all are happy if not then we could be looking for both a hc and an oc sooner rather than later.

We have always been cheap and it costs us over and over and over.

Reactions: 1 person
I want to see a legitimate list of the interviewees. I'm fairly sure it's Debord and a bunch of people we have never heard of.

I think it spoke volumes that the only coach on campus was Debord and every other candidate got an airport interview.

Have you talked with any of your choices? Maybe they aren't interested

Maybe butch isn't interested because they aren't a Butch guy?

Point is Butch wants a guy to come in and fall in line not buck the system. We need new blood in the offense not someone who only runs a handful of plays Butch let's hook call...

Furthermore if you could call up 10 of the top oc's in the country all would love to have any one of:

Dobbs: projected to have a breakout year
Hurd: expected to build up freshman year and a top 3 breakout player in the country.
Kamara: former 5* 1200+ yds in JC
North: one of the top wr in the sec provided he's healthy.
The list can go on and on...

To tell me that no top offensive coordinators don't want to be here is absurd. Something else is going on here..

Reactions: 2 people
Furthermore if you could call up 10 of the top oc's in the country all would love to have any one of:

Dobbs: projected to have a breakout year
Hurd: expected to build up freshman year and a top 3 breakout player in the country.
Kamara: former 5* 1200+ yds in JC
North: one of the top wr in the sec provided he's healthy.
The list can go on and on...

To tell me that no top offensive coordinators don't want to be here is absurd. Something else is going on here..

Good lord just calm the hell down man.

Reactions: 8 people
These threads continue to show what sad little lives some on here must lead. Any change and all is lost. We like/trust CBJ; unless something happens that makes us uncomfortable. Then he has no idea what he is doing.

Reactions: 7 people
These threads continue to show what sad little lives some on here must lead. Any change and all is lost. We like/trust CBJ; unless something happens that makes us uncomfortable. Then he has no idea what he is doing.

This.

It's as if some (most?....vast majority even?) on here think Butch just went full retard overnight. Have you already forgotten the atrocious play calling by Handjackian?

On the other hand, I know for a fact why Butch hired him. He wanted someone that would be easy to fire in 1-2 years so he can hire Peyton when he retires. :)

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove: Sorry, I had to. I couldn't resist.

...and has failed miserably almost every time. I like Butch as much as the next guy, and I am super excited about our chances to win the division next year. That is why I REALLY want Butch to knock this thing (OC hire) out of the park.

But, I'm terribly concerned that Butch may be falling victim to the familiarity/association trap (ie, like Hamilton did Hiring Kiffin and Dooley based on their familiarity/association with Monte and Saban, respectively) with DeBord. Just blindly defending what appears to be a bad hire, has a terrible track record lately.

Nothing about his resume says "prolific" The 97 NC team had an average offense, but great defense. His offense doesn't even remotely resemble what Butch has since developed AFTER his association with DeBord.

Butch's offense mirrors that of Rich Rodriguez, whose current offense is putting up big numbers. Hiring one of his co-OC's would therefore make the most sense. Both of whom Butch has worked with since.

DeBord seems more like repaying a debt, for helping Butch get started long ago...than hiring the most qualified....TODAY.

Rod Smith or Calvin MaGee would be guys that we could all be happy about. Bill Legg's offense is VERY similar to ours...and his Marshall offense was the 2nd most prolific in College (FBS), last year.

One of my favorites would be Meacham at TCU. Smaller program than our own...and less talent overall. But they manhandled both Oklahoma and Ole Miss, this year. Two teams that didn't just beat us, but thumped us, soundly.

Give him Dobbs, North, Malone, Pearson, Hurd and Wolf...and he can hand out the same kind of azz-whoopin's he gave OK and Ole Miss.

Call it "sexy" hire if you will. It's just a matter of looking at who has demonstrated success at that position, lately. It's what any employer is looking for.

You gotta love the cheap comedy on here. Great value, for the money. You will not find much intelligent input regarding football but goofy runs deep around these parts. LOL

:):crazy::eek:lol::thud:

You gotta love the cheap comedy on here. Great value, for the money. You will not find much intelligent input regarding football but goofy runs deep around these parts. LOL

It's hilarious how much more people think they know than the guy who is the actual expert. They're the same people who can't tell the difference between a trap, a lead, a counter etc, but think they can just Google up the right guy for Offensive Coordinator.

I know very little about this guy. I also knew very little about the playcalling ability of Walt Harris, Al Saunders, Phil Fulmer and David Cutcliffe when they got the job. They all worked out.

Reactions: 7 people

And I thank you for providing said cheap comedy.
I'm a huge fan.

I get a laugh every time a critical thread is started, because 9 times out of 10 the first sentence is "I like Butch as much as the next guy, but". Regardless of who is hired, we need to wait until he has called a game or two before judgement is made. My goodness.

It's hilarious how much more people think they know than the guy who is the actual expert. They're the same people who can't tell the difference between a trap, a lead, a counter etc, but think they can just Google up the right guy for Offensive Coordinator.

No, what's hilarious is how many Vol fans ignorantly think that every coaching decision made is pure genius when we have seen nothing but ineptitude for nearly a decade.

We're talking about folks not voicing concerns about some of the decisions coaches may make....usually having to do with staff hires. Such as the hiring of "the best staff in America"

Because it's a waste of time. Regardless of OUR opinions on the subject, there's not a whole lot we can do about it anyway. So why waste time crying about something we have no control over. We have no other choice but to trust that CBJ will hire the right man for the job. The only alternative is to quit watching or pick a new team to follow.

+1 & thanks for posting the OP's words; reminds me WHY the IGNORE button is so nice. :whistling:

Isn't it funny that all the people that do not want DeBord say the same thing, he doesn't run the style offense that Butch likes to run. The problem with those statements are, Butch has publicly said, I want a OC that will "fit" our system because I (Butch) do not want to change the offensive and even keep the language the same.

Take time and process what Butch is saying...

Now.. burn a mattress or something. :)

No, what's hilarious is how many Vol fans ignorantly think that every coaching decision made is pure genius when we have seen nothing but ineptitude for nearly a decade.

My deal being, I question the ability of more than just a few here to competently judge what is inept and what is not as it applies to football. That fairly well sums up all of my posts.:)

Isn't it funny that all the people that do not want DeBord say the same thing, he doesn't run the style offense that Butch likes to run. The problem with those statements are, Butch has publicly said, I want a OC that will "fit" our system because I (Butch) do not want to change the offensive and even keep the language the same.

Take time and process what Butch is saying...

No.. burn a mattress or something. :)

Truth is, you will find very few contributors here who know the first thing about Mike Debord. They only repeat whatever negative information they can feed upon from the usual babble.

Last edited:
My deal being, I question the ability of more than just a few here to competently judge what is inept and what is not as it applies to football. That fairly well sums up all of my posts.:)

None of us really can, to an extent. We all gather what little information we can, form an opinion, and argue it as if we are even qualified to have an opinion. Its a thing of beauty. :)

VN Store

Back