RT Insider opinion: Butch Jones has earned your trust

kamoshika

Even though I will still be disappointed if DeBord is the OC pick, this is a good piece that I didn't want to get lost in one of the other threads:

In the midst of roster and staff turnover, Butch Jones is facing an unexpected test headed into a 2015 season filled with promise. Before Mike Bajakian made a lateral move to coach quarterbacks in Tampa Bay on Thursday, Tennessee was one of just seven FBS schools with the same full-time staff since 2013.

Jones, suddenly without the man who coordinated his offenses every single season he’s been a head coach, is faced with a hire that could define his legacy at Tennessee.

And he might have to make more than one. Receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Zach Azzanni has been connected with the vacant Central Michigan head coaching job. So has Tennessee defensive coordinator John Jancek.

Those reports, combined with others of several players considering leaving the program, have resulted in a Vol fan meltdown on social media – one the likes of which I haven’t seen since December 7, 2012 … the day Butch Jones was hired.

Opinion: Butch Jones Has Earned Your Trust | RTI

Reactions: 1 person

Elvis couldn't be bothered this night:

OxT1KBu.jpg

You know I actually had to google this? Many people have long said he couldn't really play, and even his band guitarist said he wasn't that good, but he had an uncanny sense of rhythm apparently.

We as fans have two choices as I see it. Buy in to what CB is selling or get out. Quit being babies and grow a pair and be supportive. Grown men, just do it. NO excuses.

Reactions: 4 people
We as fans have two choices as I see it. Buy in to what CB is selling or get out. Quit being babies and grow a pair and be supportive. Grown men, just do it. NO excuses.

So if you question what Butch Jones might be doing it means you don't have a pair? I'm supposed to worship Jones as if he were Jesus and would never make a mistake? Just because someone might not agree with something Jones is doing doesn't mean they are not supportive of this team and it doesn't make them any less of a fan than you. I love how some of you define fandom as blindly following the head coach and staff without question.

Reactions: 4 people
Remember when everyone wanted Bajakian fired mid-season? And now people are calling for a 6-win season? This has been fun to watch.

Reactions: 2 people
Your always going to have growing pains.Butch is the coach and we are the fans.I'll be there next Wednesday to welcome a pretty good group of new vols.Most of the vol fans on here wanted to fire the OC after the Florida game anyway,they got there wish.

In Butch We Trust

In Hamilton....you trusted.

In Kiffin....you trusted.

In Dooley....you trusted.

In Sal Sunseri....you trusted.

Starting to sound like a broken record.

I'm optimistic about Butch, but let's face the facts...he hasn't really done sh!ite here, yet. We went 6-6 and to a bowl game Dooley's first year in, too.

All this "I trust Butch" is blind Homerism. You don't have to want him fired to simply show concern for a coaching hire, or for a rash of transfers. What good is great recruiting classes if you lose an inordinate amount of them within 10months of their signing?

I'm reserving the right to voice a concern when I see a logical reason to do so. And it doesn't make me any less of a fan than a blind homer, like yourself.

Reactions: 5 people
Remember when everyone wanted Bajakian fired mid-season? And now people are calling for a 6-win season? This has been fun to watch.
Look, there are about a dozen good, qaulaified candidates out there that just about any Vol fan could get excited about. DeBord isn't one of them. It's just that simple.

Well, considering that the only real name that has been floated around for Jakes replacement is a downgrade, I would say 6-6 is understandable.

In Hamilton....you trusted.

In Kiffin....you trusted.

In Dooley....you trusted.

In Sal Sunseri....you trusted.

Starting to sound like a broken record.

I'm optimistic about Butch, but let's face the facts...he hasn't really done sh!ite here, yet. We went 6-6 and to a bowl game Dooley's first year in, too.

All this "I trust Butch" is blind Homerism. You don't have to want him fired to simply show concern for a coaching hire, or for a rash of transfers. What good is great recruiting classes if you lose an inordinate amount of them within 10months of their signing?

I'm reserving the right to voice a concern when I see a logical reason to do so. And it doesn't make me any less of a fan than a blind homer, like yourself.

And Dooley lost that bowl game didn't he? And he had a better Offensive line, and didn't have a rash of injuries like Butch did either. Someone remind me again, what did we do to Iowa? Oh yeah, we punched them in the mouth...an epic beating. Something we haven't done to a team in a bowl in a very long time. No comparison. So don't even go there trying to compare him to freakin Dooley.

Most players that have transferred were not even close to our best. A lot of those players would be even deeper in the rotation next season. Is Barnett leaving? No. Is Hurd going anywhere? No. How about Cam Sutton? No. It's called competition, and that's a good thing last time I checked.

Now I understand people being nervous about losing some recruits, but I don't think it will be anything catastrophic like everyone is making it out to be. Jones sells this program. People can see his enthusiasm, and his players love him. They play their hearts out for him. I haven't seen this kind of fight in a Tennessee team in a very long time. If others can't see that they must be blind.

Butch has EARNED some trust. He's backing it up so far with recruiting. The defense has upgraded big-time. That's not blind Homerism. That's a fact. And believe me when I say he's the biggest reason why kids are coming. They are seeing some evidence of a major turnaround.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
And Dooley lost that bowl game didn't he? And he had a better Offensive line, and didn't have a rash of injuries like Butch did either. Someone remind me again, what did we do to Iowa? Oh yeah, we punched them in the mouth...an epic beating. Something we haven't done to a team in a bowl in a very long time. No comparison. So don't even go there trying to compare him to freakin Dooley.

Now I understand people being nervous about losing some recruits, but I don't think it will be anything catastrophic like everyone is making it out to be. Jones sells this program. People can see his enthusiasm, and his players love him. They play their hearts out for him. I haven't seen this kind of fight in a Tennessee team in a very long time. If others can't see that they must be blind.

Butch has EARNED some trust. He's backing it up so far with recruiting. That's not blind Homerism. That's a fact. And believe me when I say he's the biggest reason why kids are coming. They are seeing the evidence of a major turnaround.
We got robbed in the MSB, and everyone knows it. Bogus targeting penalty, down to UNC getting an extra second to run a play because they committed a penalty. I could go on.

Sure you're going to try and point out differences, but the result is largely the same. Same regular season result. We got lucky this year and played a bad Iowa team, rather than WVU.

We've recruited better, but lose more good players to transfer, and the results on the field have yet to commend blind faith in every decision. Again, there are a dozen or so OC's out there, with the recent success and credentials + system fit, to make everyone happy. Debord isn't one of those. Has a totally different offensive philosophy, so saying he's going to just come in, drop what he knows and be a yes man to Butch....is downright silly.

VN Store

Back