CNN (aka BR) hates us...

cjbongoinstructor

So its friday afternoon and I'm naturally surfing the interwebs and I come across this article on CNN's home page:

Tennessee Pulling 4-Star DE Marques Ford's Offer Shows Dark Side of Recruiting | Bleacher Report

Sure you may have already read it but I'm not posting it based on the commentary in the article. I am posting because I can't for the life of me figure out why all SEC teams including Satan and crew do this year after year yet when a 7-6 TN team does it for the first time, it makes the front page of CNN! Are you kidding me? Folks love to trash us for being down in the conference for so long and make fun of our coaching attrition and fan base yet they post articles to CNN on us like this. For some reason, I have never seen them post articles on front page of any of our recent recruiting success or CBJ's winning season.

Drops mic, rant over. Merge if necessary

Reactions: 4 people
Don't ever remember reading anything like this about Nick Saban, Mark Richt, The Ole Ball Sack, Les Miles, Urban Meyer........etc, etc. :banghead2:

They do it and its all hunky dory, butch does it, and he is the scum of the earth, pathetic! :bad:

Last edited:
I read the article, actually makes us look as good as possible given the situation. Compares us to Bama who let a kid sink after knocking him off the boat on National Signing Day. At least we were honest with the young man. Not gonna have a spot for you this year.

Was he ever committed to us?

Pretty much every school in America sends more scholarship offers than they're able to accept

Don't ever remember reading anything like this about Nick Saban, Mark Richt, The Ole Ball Sack, Les Miles, Urban Meyer........etc, etc. :banghead2:

I may understand if we went 10-2 this year or we were in the college football playoff contention, but for god's sake we were 7-6. You couldn't find any other story to make front page about a bigger current name (based on last season) than us?

Meh, Our own fans have made us sound worse about this than the story did.

Of course with our fans, it's also ok when other schools do this.

Was he ever committed to us?

Pretty much every school in America sends more scholarship offers than they're able to accept

Yes, he was.

He's committed to Rutgers now. Didn't take long. Also heard the coaches called several schools on his behalf after we told him we didn't have room.

Reactions: 2 people
Meh, Our own fans have made us sound worse about this than the story did.

Of course with our fans, it's also ok when other schools do this.

Like I said in the OP, my point isn't the content of the article though I feel extremely bad for Ford and wish he was going to be a member of this team. He never wavered on his commitment and now we burn bridges with his coaches (not trying to get in this debate however). My point is why front page of CNN

Like I said in the OP, my point isn't the content of the article though I feel extremely bad for Ford and wish he was going to be a member of this team. He never wavered on his commitment and now we burn bridges with his coaches (not trying to get in this debate however). My point is why front page of CNN

Nah I understood and agree. All fans think their team is picked on but I really do think UT gets this crap too often. You gave a perfect example.

No debate with Ford either. I would have kept him and gone a different route. I just know it's common to happen and some made too much out of it.
I think social media has made us feel like we know these guys now.

So its friday afternoon and I'm naturally surfing the interwebs and I come across this article on CNN's home page:

Tennessee Pulling 4-Star DE Marques Ford's Offer Shows Dark Side of Recruiting | Bleacher Report

Sure you may have already read it but I'm not posting it based on the commentary in the article. I am posting because I can't for the life of me figure out why all SEC teams including Satan and crew do this year after year yet when a 7-6 TN team does it for the first time, it makes the front page of CNN! Are you kidding me? Folks love to trash us for being down in the conference for so long and make fun of our coaching attrition and fan base yet they post articles to CNN on us like this. For some reason, I have never seen them post articles on front page of any of our recent recruiting success or CBJ's winning season.

"Vols were proactive in making sure" recruit didn't get caught without backup options. This is a great article, showing how it works in the big leagues of (soon-future, back-again) champs.

Same thing happened with the Jabo Lee situation. Does seem to get more attention when the Vols do it.

Or it could be interpreted as:

So many of the Nation's elite high school players are lined up to play for Butch Jones and the their fast and furious rise to the top that Tennessee must turn down highly coveted, 4-star players.

Reactions: 1 person
Article wasn't that bad on Tennessee, and 90% if what BR puts out slurps the Vols pretty hard. I think they love us.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't Tennessee tell Zeuss Brown he would not qualify last year at or just before NSD only have him sign and be allowed into Oklahoma?

Was there any mention that a commitment is non-binding and a player can switch schools on National Signing Day without notifying the school that they are committed to? Not like that has ever happened before!

I probably would not have known about this story unless it were here on VN. I do not watch the TASS News Agency.

Slow news day.

Or it could be interpreted as:

So many of the Nation's elite high school players are lined up to play for Butch Jones and the their fast and furious rise to the top that Tennessee must turn down highly coveted, 4-star players.

Not for long if we don't replace Baj and Azz with quality.... and its looking like we are going to downgrade once again while others spend the money and upgrade....

Black lives matter!

You seriously think Butch could do something like this and it wouldnt have negative implications?

OK then.

In a Liberal world..... and that is what has been forced on us the last many years... informing Ford of this problem is a Horrible crime.... yet in a Conservative world.. the reality is we do not need but a certain number of men that performs his job... he was obviously last on the list. Ford is a good player no doubt, he will do fine wherever he goes.

VN Store

Back