For Those Wanting a Splash Hire...

Captain Awesome

Last time we had a coordinator who was considered somewhat of a splash hire we got Sal Sunseri. True, he had never been a coordinator before but a lot of people were saying this was a really great hire for Dooley and his staff. That was about as big a splash as Dooley was capable of making due to how poor our team and the projection of the program was. I say let's wait it out. I'd be surprised if CBJ didn't have someone already lined up. I'd rather have someone who is familiar with our system that is not as well known than a potential homerun that is not. That was Sunseri's problem. He tried to switch us to the 3-4 and caused all sorts of problems. I've got faith in CBJ. GBO.

Reactions: 2 people
Who considered Sunseri a splash hire? Probably the same geniuses who thought Dooley would be great because he was Saban's errand boy.

Reactions: 9 people
Sunseri's splash was similar to my lunch yesterday splashing this morning.

Thunder...every time Sal's name is mentioned it conjurs up memories of him on the sidelines of the 2012 Missouri game...I have never seen a more pathetic, confused, lost soul in my life...I almost felt sorry for him.

Last edited:
Thunder...every time Sal's name is mentioned it conjurs up memories of him on the sidelines of the 2012 Missouri game...I have never seen a more pathetic, confused lost soul in my life...I almost felt sorry for him.

Derek Dooley slamming his cane down is up there too lol
DooleyCane_AP.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
You aren't going to get a splash hire with the OC job because they'll be running CBJ's system. They will just call the plays and work practice. An established splash hire type of OC will probably want to install their system.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember Sunseri relaying in signals from the sidelines in such a frenzy I thought he'd pass out. Our kids never got the 3-4 defense. And even if they did, they weren't suited for it talent wise.

Last edited:
Only the insane considered Sunseri a splash hire.

I don't think anyone is necessarily looking for a splash hire (when is the last time UT actually made one of those?), but I think people should want someone solid who has had proven success at this job.

We are paying our coaches better than most of the country. We shouldn't always settle for unproven guys or guys who have been fired elsewhere.

Who considered Sunseri a splash hire? Probably the same geniuses who thought Dooley would be great because he was Saban's errand boy.

Exactly.

Sunseri was a (over paid) last resort because nobody else wanted to work 1 year and look for another job. He took a high dollar bonus for a year and went back to what he is best suited for.

You aren't going to get a splash hire with the OC job because they'll be running CBJ's system. They will just call the plays and work practice. An established splash hire type of OC will probably want to install their system.

Yes. CBJ needs to build up his resume a bit first. Bottom line is, he still owns a losing record at TN.

Derek Dooley slamming his cane down is up there too lol
DooleyCane_AP.jpg

Baby Derek was also famous for throwing his headset in disgust as well...wish someone would post a pic of that...like a child throwing a tantrum and waiting for Mama Babs to hug him and tell him how the mean old Volnation would one day pay for their sins...nobody in the history of college athletics was less prepared to be head coach at a major program.

They are both in the NFL now, so maybe they aren't as bad as you think they are.

Was it you that made a post about DD actually being a decent Xs and Os guy, just not a head coach.

If so, after some thought (and watching the cowboys this year) I believe you had a solid point.

Good mind for schemes but not the ability to be in charge of everything.

Last time we had a coordinator who was considered somewhat of a splash hire we got Sal Sunseri. True, he had never been a coordinator before but a lot of people were saying this was a really great hire for Dooley and his staff. That was about as big a splash as Dooley was capable of making due to how poor our team and the projection of the program was. I say let's wait it out. I'd be surprised if CBJ didn't have someone already lined up. I'd rather have someone who is familiar with our system that is not as well known than a potential homerun that is not. That was Sunseri's problem. He tried to switch us to the 3-4 and caused all sorts of problems. I've got faith in CBJ. GBO.

If bUTch suggested to Baj that he leave the program, then I am sure that bUTch had his butt covered before he approached him to leave.
However; if Baj. did a spur of the moment decision and decided on his own to leave the program w/o bUTch influencing him, then bUTch may have been caught unprepared to make a quick hire.

My thoughts are that he already knows who he will hire.

Just as he asked Ford to de committ because he already had the scholarship promised to Kelly.

I am beginning to see that bUTch does not make a move w/o having thought it thru. He is not a knee jerk decision type of guy.

Was it you that made a post about DD actually being a decent Xs and Os guy, just not a head coach.

If so, after some thought (and watching the cowboys this year) I believe you had a solid point.

Good mind for schemes but not the ability to be in charge of everything.

Have you ever noticed that 99% of the time on the sidelines, Dez Bryant just brushes Dooley off when Dooley tries to talk to him?

No! I think the thoughts were the Dooley is the son of Vince; therefore, he has the same bloodlines as a great coach, so he, himself will be a great coach.

Kinda like Michael Jordans son will be a great basketball player.

Don't recall Sunseri being a splash hire. But that hire was similar to Fulmer hiring Clawson. Both Fulmer and Dooley were in pivotal yrs and both hired guys that ran complete opposite offense/defense than what we had normally ran and didn't have players to run either. Thatse exactly why Butch won't hire a guy that doesn't run his offense and what they have recruited for. I honestly hate the read option and much prefer a prostyle, westcoast type offense that uses fullbacks but also still slings it around. But this is the offense we have now so I'm sure he hires a guy with a similar mindset.

They are both in the NFL now, so maybe they aren't as bad as you think they are.

they might be in the NFL but they both sucked at being a HC and a DC and they are as bad as we think they are. Is Dooley a HC any place ? and is Sal a DC any place ?
the answer is NO. Why ? because they both sucked.

VN Store

Back