This is positive stuff

VFL34

I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

Reactions: 135 people
I don't like making threads. Just know, what is happening on rocky top is positive and exciting. These recruit transfers that is happening is positive. This occurs because they are getting out recruited. This exposes the lack of competitiveness of some of these young guys, yet excels the competitiveness everywhere else. If your soft now, wait til things get tough. The reason why y'all are freakin is because it has been so long since we have been back to this stage, a stage of top flight recruits and back to the winning ways. This will happen every year and be happy for it. It could be, the soft guys stay, and we got no other better recruits to replace them with, such as when coach DD was here. If players that are buried in depth aren't transferring, and coaches aren't being pursued then your not doing something right.

Thanks Boss...needed a good thread! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 4 people

Yep... Everything is as it should be in the universe. This is a very good sign for Tennessee Football!!!!

Why do they have to be soft? We're putting labels on kids who are doing things we're not but they're soft?

Reactions: 3 people
VN needs this reassurance..... Just curious VFL34, any hopes or ideas as to who we should go after for OC? Would like to hear your opinion on it :)

Why do they have to be soft? We're putting labels on kids who are doing things we're not but they're soft?

I think he's saying soft because they don't want to compete, or soft because they don't want to earn there spot, or soft because they can stand the physicality of SEC football, soft because they can't handle a coach talking to them like they are a grown man. Soft can describe a multitude of things.

And some of us on this forum are former college athletes!!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Let me rephrase that. Not competitive to put in the work so that the new guy doesn't take your place, or so that your not buried on the depth chart. I had to check myself when I was thinking about transferring and re analyze myself. I decided that no way in hell I'm gonna let some one beat me my senior year so I am gonna stick through and work my tail off. I was also buried but I worked my way to the top. A lot of times kids just wanna play right away and don't want to do the work. Imagine having Jamal Lewis travis Henry, then Cedric houston and Jabari Davis and these guys to beat. It took work.

Reactions: 64 people
I was the smallest, just faster than Jabari Davis, but I worked to do what it takes. They had superior talent but I worked and worked. Ced houston and Jabari and all them are my boys. Hell of running backs. That is just to explain to you that sometimes people don't have that drive that we all had. And when they don't they won't have that drive when your down going into the 4th quarter against bama or Florida when it's raining or cold and your hurt and people are cussing you out and coaches are screaming at yiu

Reactions: 64 people

I think VFL34 can say what he did because he has been thru this and gave his all. I agree totally with him. Each generation seems to be getting softer.

Reactions: 13 people

Well, this shows that bUTch doesn't care if you are a legacy player or who your family is, you can either help this team or you can't......

Reactions: 1 person

If by "doing things we're not" you mean leaving a school cause they couldnt stand the competition, then yes they're soft.

Personally I want players who would do anything for the power T on their helmet. People who believe in themselves and their coaches enough to work harder everyday to possibly one day help their team be better. Most of us everyday fans would do just about anything to run through the T, or run just one play as a UT vol. If a kid doesn't want to be here or doesn't think they're good enough to play here then they should by all means leave. /rant :)

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for getting on here Travis and shedding some light on how the system works or should work if your going to be a top tier team.

Reactions: 8 people
I think VFL34 can say what he did because he has been thru this and gave his all. I agree totally with him. Each generation seems to be getting softer.

He drained the swamp. Over 200 yds in Gaynesville to singlehandedly will us to victory. Agree that he can call any of these guys soft. He had the same challenges as them and chose to overcome. Definite VFL and one of my alltime faves. Thanks for your insight and trying to stop the panic of some who dont understand recruiting champions.

Reactions: 20 people
Is the program bigger than an assistant coach? Of course.

Is the program bigger than any player or players? Yep.

Let's get some perspective: This isn't as bad as the Kiffin departure. This isn't as bad as the robbery committed by some of the players. This isn't as bad as Dooley losing multiple assistants. Coaches have left and players have left over the past 6-7 years. This major difference that I see is the timing of these departures. It stinks. Good luck to any and all who leave. But, the Tennessee Volunteers will move forward.

Reactions: 2 people
I was the smallest, just faster than Jabari Davis, but I worked to do what it takes. They had superior talent but I worked and worked. Ced houston and Jabari and all them are my boys. Hell of running backs. That is just to explain to you that sometimes people don't have that drive that we all had. And when they don't they won't have that drive when your down going into the 4th quarter against bama or Florida when it's raining or cold and your hurt and people are cussing you out and coaches are screaming at yiu

You're right on and that work ethic made you one of the best

Reactions: 5 people
Oh, and by the way thank you 34 for playing for the Big Orange! It was a joy watching your teams playing on Saturdays in Neyland!

Reactions: 4 people
I'm honestly beginning to believe that this is where CBJ wants to be for the long run. If he's trimming the fat from the guys that don't want to give their all for a free ride to school and "immortality" among fans like Mr. TS here, we should support him. We should let him know that we're behind him in whatever he's doing.

I think he's saying soft because they don't want to compete, or soft because they don't want to earn there spot, or soft because they can stand the physicality of SEC football, soft because they can't handle a coach talking to them like they are a grown man. Soft can describe a multitude of things.

And some of us on this forum are former college athletes!!!!

I grew up in a time where I was scared to death of the HC. He didn't care about my feelings. My idea was to do my best so the coach DIDNT have to talk to me :good!:

Good perspective.

BTW - I've never understood guys that can't take coaches yelling or getting after them to make them better. I credit my high school baseball coach for single-handedly instilling in me the kind of work ethic and discipline it takes to be successful in life.....and he did it by riding my arse every minute of practice.

Let me rephrase that. Not competitive to put in the work so that the new guy doesn't take your place, or so that your not buried on the depth chart. I had to check myself when I was thinking about transferring and re analyze myself. I decided that no way in hell I'm gonna let some one beat me my senior year so I am gonna stick through and work my tail off. I was also buried but I worked my way to the top. A lot of times kids just wanna play right away and don't want to do the work. Imagine having Jamal Lewis travis Henry, then Cedric houston and Jabari Davis and these guys to beat. It took work.

These two posts are GOLD! There is a lesson here kids, applicable to life in general as well as the game of football..

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back