Kippy Brown

Why do we keep regurgitating names from our past? Way too many names keep appearing that we have either had, or never worked out in the past. We have a young, fresh, energetic staff that is getting the job done.

Obviously we trust Butch. He knows what he is doing. His sky isnt falling because he lost his OC. Truth be told, he probably asked him to look around. If he wanted to keep him, he would have ponied up the funds to do so.

Also the OC should have been excited with the future of this team and the possibilities it would have afforded his career.

So sit back, and let Butch be Butch. Hes got this.

Reactions: 21 people
I have to think that the number 1 consideration will be who can come in and provide the smoothest transition and continue the positive momentum with Dobbs ability to make the offense work. With the expectations coming off the bowl blowout, there's no way Butch wastes a year for his guys to learn a whole new system. The SEC East is ripe for the taking next year and Butch knows he has a shot with the players we have, so finding an OC that will not be a momentum killer is the key.

Maybe I'm missing something but why do folks assume NFL guys want to return to college in the first place???

Kippy is probably getting paid pretty well in his current position.
Has already earned a fat post-season and has potential for even more if they win.
Oh yeah, he may have a 2nd Super Bowl ring to show for his efforts.
Doesn't have to deal with 18-20yr old punks (deals with 22-28yr old ones instead.)
And, doesn't have to bust his hump ALL year recruiting.

I know there are cases like Harbaugh returning to UM for a truckload of cash but why would a man fairly late in his career want to fix something that is clearly not broken?

Not saying he would be good, bad or otherwise, I just don't see the perceived allure for them.

Reactions: 1 person
I highly doubt the system will change. This is CBJ's system. The next OC will run the same system and possibly throw in a few new wrinkles. JMO!

Why do we keep regurgitating names from our past? Way too many names keep appearing that we have either had, or never worked out in the past. We have a young, fresh, energetic staff that is getting the job done.

Obviously we trust Butch. He knows what he is doing. His sky isnt falling because he lost his OC. Truth be told, he probably asked him to look around. If he wanted to keep him, he would have ponied up the funds to do so.

Also the OC should have been excited with the future of this team and the possibilities it would have afforded his career.

So sit back, and let Butch be Butch. Hes got this.

I'll answer this.

We have a whole bunch of fans who can't let the past go. Anything new they are against. That's why they hate the spread offense, they don't like the Smokey uniforms, they want every coach to be a "Tennessee Guy", and a whole slew of other things.

We will be a lot better off once some of us get over ourselves

Reactions: 2 people
Does he have any background with a spread offense?

I'm sure he has more than enough experience as a coach to understand the spread.

Kippy would be a great hire. He's from the area. He's largely the reason TN became known as Wide Receiver U. He's already moved from the NFL to TN's coaching staff (twice).

I don't know if he'd want to go from coaching in the Super Bowl to his 4th stint as a coach with the Vols. His last time here ended up being a slap in his face, but at least Hamilton is gone.

It would be a great hire for TN fans, but I wonder if there would be chemistry with Butch. CBJ may not want somebody that popular with a TN history on his staff. Butch is very stubborn and set in his ways. Kippy is a very experienced football coach. They might not get along.

This bridge was burned a long time ago. Wouldn't be a good fit anyway but he's never coaching at Tennessee again.

Maybe I'm missing something but why do folks assume NFL guys want to return to college in the first place???

10-4 finn: Just because they were great NFL OCs doesn't mean anything to a college program. Those who doubt that have forgotten Charlie Weiss.

He would, but only if Butch switched offenses.

Runners run. Receivers catch. Linemen block. Kippy wouldn't be lost no matter what Butch wants to run. I think that meshing the two egos would be a far bigger challenge. Kippy understanding the Xs and Os wouldn't be any issue at all. TN won't pay for Kippy anyway, so it doesn't matter.

How about this? How about no one from the Majors era, the Fulmer era, from Kiffin or Dooley? Seriously, the same old regurgitated names every time there is a coaching staff opening is old and tiresome. There are plenty of good coaches out there and they don't have to have any UT ties to succeed.

Yes, it's pretty tiresome for a coach about to be coaching in the SUPER BOWL to be discussed coming to TN for the fourth time.

VN Store

Back