This hire will define the Butch Jones era

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
I hope Coach Bajakian finds success in his next endeavors. I was certainly part of the chorus that didn't like his offense but was willing to see if it actually took off in 2015. His play-calling though was literally a game changer - changing Wins to Losses; it was painful at times and cost us several winnable games.

This hire will define Butch at UT. He's never been an HC without Bajakian. Oregonvol rightly points out that we can give a substantial raise to some of the highest octane OCs out there and improve national spotlight, exposure, and, without a doubt, play-calling.

Rumors about promoting Coach Z leave me really flat. Guy might flat out be Gus Malzahn but we don't know. I want to see Butch go out there and get a stud OC - a known quantity. Otherwise, for me, it feels too safe; like we aren't ready to go BOOM. It has a "happy with 8 - 9 wins" feeling to it, at least for me.

But hey, I applauded the Dave Clawson hire and thought it was tremendous forward thinking on Fulmer's part to finish out his career at UT - boy, did it ever.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope Coach Bajakian finds success in his next endeavors. I was certainly part of the chorus that didn't like his offense but was willing to see if it actually took off in 2015. His play-calling though was literally a game changer - changing Wins to Losses; it was painful at times and cost us several winnable games.

This hire will define Butch at UT. He's never been an HC without Bajakian. Oregonvol rightly points out that we can give a substantial raise to some of the highest octane OCs out there and improve national spotlight, exposure, and, without a doubt, play-calling.

Rumors about promoting Coach Z leave me really flat. Guy might flat out be Gus Malzahn but we don't know. I want to see Butch go out there and get a stud OC - a known quantity. Otherwise, for me, it feels too safe; like we aren't ready to go BOOM. It has a "happy with 8 - 9 wins" feeling to it, at least for me.

But hey, I applauded the Dave Clawson hire and thought it was tremendous forward thinking on Fulmer's part to finish out his career at UT - boy, did it ever.
That's all we need to know about yore OC qualifications knowledge. :p

Reactions: 15 people
Just look at the data. It's all you need to know to realize how ludicrous the OP is.

Coached in eight bowl games including Vols 2015 TaxSlayer Bowl Championship
Helped teams to six conference championships
Won two NFL division titles, coached in four NFL Playoff games including Super Bowl XLI
In 2014, quarterback Joshua Dobbs led Vols to TaxSlayer Bowl title and 4-1 record down the stretch with record-setting performance
Dobbs set Tennessee records for rushing yards by a quarterback with 166 at South Carolina as Vols piled up 645 yards of offense, the most vs. an SEC opponent since 1997; Vols tied school record for first downs in a game with 35 vs. Gamecocks
In his first season at Tennessee, the Vols rushed for 2,261 yards, the most since 2004 and the third-most in the last 16 seasons since 1998
Spent three seasons as Cincinnati's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks from 2010-12
Previously spent three seasons in the same position at Central Michigan (2007-09) and three seasons with the Chicago Bears of the NFL (2004-06)
Was on the Bears coaching staff during Super Bowl XLI in Miami
His offenses have scored 30-plus points in 55.1% of his career games
In 2012, the Bearcats led the Big East in scoring offense, rushing offense, and yards per play
Running back George Winn, led the conference in rushing yards (1,334), touchdowns and rushing TDs
Under Bajakian, quarterback Zach Collaros became only the second passer in school history to reach the 6,000-yard and 50-touchdown milestone. He left Cincinnati with a 62% completion percentage, 6,278 yards passing, and 51 touchdowns
The Bearcats won conference titles in each of the last two seasons, scoring an average of 33.3 points per game and 385 yards per game in 2011
In 2012, Travis Kelce set the UC single-season mark for receptions (45), yards receiving (722) and touchdowns (8) by a tight end besting current Philadelphia Eagle Brent Celek's marks from 2004
The 2012 Cincinnati team turned the ball over on only 13.1% of possessions, the 20th-best rate in the nation
The 2011 Bearcats ranked No. 1 in the Big East in total rushing yards as NFL draft pick Isaiah Pead led the conference in rushing yards, rushing yards/game, rushing touchdowns and overall scoring
In 2010, Cincinnati led the Big East in scoring offense (27.1 ppg), total offense (417.3 ypg), passing offense (260.7 ypg), first downs (21.9 ypg), third-down conversions (45.6 pct.) and touchdown passes (27)
Tutored Isaiah Pead, the 2011 Big EAST Conference Offensive Player of the Year who recorded consecutive 1,000-yard seasons from 2010-11 and was a second-round selection of the St. Louis Rams
At Central Michigan, his offenses from 2007-09 were the three highest-scoring teams in school history since the school joined the MAC in 1975 while also breaking or tying 30 school offense records
Coached CMU QB Dan LeFevour, who ended his career with the Chippewas with an NCAA FBS-record 150 touchdowns (102 passing, 47 rushing, 1 receiving)
A Two-time MAC Offensive Player of the Year, LeFevour

Reactions: 12 people
Just look at the data. It's all you need to know to realize how ludicrous the OP is.

Holy wall of text Batman!

Reactions: 7 people
That's all we need to know about yore OC qualifications knowledge. :p

I read all of EVH BS and got to that line and and tought to myself, EVH if anything shows you know absolutely nothing then that statement does. Then I read your post and just busted out laughing. I see we agree EVH does not need to sit in when CBJ hires the next OC.

Sorry Eddie but man you are way off base and it only took what one more post to show how off base you were. Also, do you think the NFL would have coming calling if he was a bad coach. Think about that.

Reactions: 4 people
I read all of EVH BS and got to that line and and tought to myself, EVH if anything shows you know absolutely nothing then that statement does. Then I read your post and just busted out laughing. I see we agree EVH does not need to sit in when CBJ hires the next OC.

Sorry Eddie but man you are way off base and it only took what one more post to show how off base you were. Also, do you think the NFL would have coming calling if he was a bad coach. Think about that.
That's what I'm talkin bout. :popcorn:

Reactions: 2 people
Volnation is full of drama queens. Lol. CBJ has done a good job of hiring his coaching staff so far no need to think that would change.

Reactions: 1 person

If he doesn't promote coach Z, which is the recruiting head coordinator. He may also leave for the BG coaching job.

Won two NFL division titles, coached in four NFL Playoff games including Super Bowl XLI
In 2014, quarterback Joshua Dobbs led Vols to TaxSlayer Bowl title and 4-1 record down the stretch with record-setting performance
Dobbs set Tennessee records for rushing yards by a quarterback with 166 at South Carolina as Vols piled up 645 yards of offense, the most vs. an SEC opponent since 1997; Vols tied school record for first downs in a game with 35 vs. Gamecocks
In his first season at Tennessee, the Vols rushed for 2,261 yards, the most since 2004 and the third-most in the last 16 seasons since 1998
Spent three seasons as Cincinnati's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks from 2010-12
Previously spent three seasons in the same position at Central Michigan (2007-09) and three seasons with the Chicago Bears of the NFL (2004-06)
In 2012, the Bearcats led the Big East in scoring offense, rushing offense, and yards per play
Running back George Winn, led the conference in rushing yards (1,334), touchdowns and rushing TDs
Under Bajakian, quarterback Zach Collaros became only the second passer in school history to reach the 6,000-yard and 50-touchdown milestone. He left Cincinnati with a 62% completion percentage, 6,278 yards passing, and 51 touchdowns
The Bearcats won conference titles in each of the last two seasons, scoring an average of 33.3 points per game and 385 yards per game in 2011
In 2012, Travis Kelce set the UC single-season mark for receptions (45), yards receiving (722) and touchdowns (8) by a tight end besting current Philadelphia Eagle Brent Celek's marks from 2004
The 2012 Cincinnati team turned the ball over on only 13.1% of possessions, the 20th-best rate in the nation
The 2011 Bearcats ranked No. 1 in the Big East in total rushing yards as NFL draft pick Isaiah Pead led the conference in rushing yards, rushing yards/game, rushing touchdowns and overall scoring
In 2010, Cincinnati led the Big East in scoring offense (27.1 ppg), total offense (417.3 ypg), passing offense (260.7 ypg), first downs (21.9 ypg), third-down conversions (45.6 pct.) and touchdown passes (27)
Tutored Isaiah Pead, the 2011 Big EAST Conference Offensive Player of the Year who recorded consecutive 1,000-yard seasons from 2010-11 and was a second-round selection of the St. Louis Rams
At Central Michigan, his offenses from 2007-09 were the three highest-scoring teams in school history since the school joined the MAC in 1975 while also breaking or tying 30 school offense records
Coached CMU QB Dan LeFevour, who ended his career with the Chippewas with an NCAA FBS-record 150 touchdowns (102 passing, 47 rushing, 1 receiving)

you left out that his best team got curb stomped by derek dooley, otherwise spot on.

you left out that his best team got curb stomped by derek dooley, otherwise spot on.

And he tried a trick play to lose to candy n could only score 9 pts against the worst fla team at home. Made us look like a circus at qb the yr before at fla. 1 yrd line n throw the ball..

This is the sec n the TaxSlayer bowl doesn't cut..

The sheep need to look for my eat crow thread later.. We called him out all yr n we were right but were called many names throughout the yr. Lol

Cbj saw it also n BTW the NFL comment is a joke.. Look at dools..enough said.

I think Butch knows how important this situation is, but it will not define him.

If he doesn't promote coach Z, which is the recruiting head coordinator. He may also leave for the BG coaching job.

At the time, I was happy that Fulmer hired outside the UT tree with Dave Clawson and everyone was clamoring at the time for new blood in the program. That's what I want now, but it has backfired.

At a minimum I would like us testing the OC waters out there and thinking Gruden big (substitute "Harbaugh big" if you can't handle the G-word). If Coach Z measures up against the best, boom. Coach Z may well be the next Gus Malzahn or Coach Cut. It may well be the absolute best move possible.

At the time, I was happy that Fulmer hired outside the UT tree with Dave Clawson and everyone was clamoring at the time for new blood in the program. That's what I want now, but it has backfired.

At a minimum I would like us testing the OC waters out there and thinking Gruden big (substitute "Harbaugh big" if you can't handle the G-word). If Coach Z measures up against the best, boom. Coach Z may well be the next Gus Malzahn or Coach Cut. It may well be the absolute best move possible.

This is....stupid. On a number of levels.

Last edited:

Not really concerned about his offense at a lesser conference. Anyone that watched our offense this yr against good teams tells you all we need to know. We scored 30 points on one of six ranked teams we played this yr. Scoring 35+ plus against Utah St, Ark St, S.Carol, UK and the FCS game we played should be a given with any offense. Fact is we scored 20 on a bad Ok Defense, 20 on an Ala Def that had their worst secondary in the Saban area and gave up 600+ yards to AU and 550+ yards and 40+ points to an Ohio St team on their third string QB, did nothing against UF, Mizzou and OleMiss and struggled badly against a horrible Vandy D. Not to mention Coach Jake wasn't a good recruiter at all, which you could overlook if he was a great OC, which he isnt. So being an average OC and average at best recruiter then hell yea you upgrade to help get us to the next level.

saban has had three oc in the past five years, high definition.

And one is now OC at UF, one is HC at UF and one is most likely headed to the NFL in a few weeks. Thing is his OC's were successful and in high demand for other jobs while CMB wasn't. If Lovey Smith isn't in Tampa, who MB has worked with he never ends up there. This is a good thing for UT football. Chance to upgrade playcalling,QB development and in recruiting. See no negative at all to him leaving. Jmo

VN Store

Back