Offensive Coordinators who made less than Mike Bajakian in 2014

oregonvol

I see all these threads right now suggesting we go after Randy Sanders and Joker Phillips and other guys who have been fired from assistant positions or even guys who are out of football as if those were the best we could hope for.

Why all the negativity?

As part of my usual efforts to inject some hope back into this board, I figured I would look at what we paid Bajakian in 2014 and see the type of guys who might like to make that kind of money.

Bajakian's 2014 Salary: $480,000 (nation's 83rd total offense)

Oregon OC Scott Frost's 2014 salary: $400,000 (nation's #1 offense)
Marshall OC Bill Legg's 2014 salary: $201,000 (nation's #2 offense)
Western Kentucky OC Tyson Helton's 2014 salary: $135,000 (nation's #5 offense)
TCU co-OC Doug Meachem's 2014 salary: $350,000 (nation's #6 offense)
TCU co-OC Sonny Cumbie's 2014 salary: $250,000 est. (nation's #6 offense)

...Now, I'm not saying these guys are necessarily who we should go after. I'm not even saying we could definitely get them. But I am saying that for what we can pay, we should be able to hire an excellent coordinator. Our options are not limited to whoever is just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

Reactions: 19 people
I see all these threads right now suggesting we go after Randy Sanders and Joker Phillips and other guys who have been fired from assistant positions or even guys who are out of football as if those were the best we could hope for.

Why all the negativity?

As part of my usual efforts to inject some hope back into this board, I figured I would look at what we paid Bajakian in 2014 and see the type of guys who might like to make that kind of money.

...Now, I'm not saying these guys are necessarily who we should go after. I'm not even saying we could definitely get them. But I am saying that for what we can pay, we should be able to hire an excellent coordinator. Our options are not limited to whoever is just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

I would love to cherry pick meachem!

Reactions: 3 people

Why all the negativity?

What was UCF off cord Brent Key salary. Add him to the list if he's under that which I'm guessing he is..

What was UCF off cord Brent Key salary. Add him to the list if he's under that which I'm guessing he is..

I don't know his salary, but Brent Key was the OC of the nation's 89th ranked offense. Not a very good candidate at this point in time.

Why all the negativity?

Western Kentucky OC Tyson Helton's 2014 salary: $135,000 (nation's #5 offense)TCU co-OC Doug Meachem's 2014 salary: $350,000 (nation's #6 offense)

I am not casting aspersions on Tyson Helton's credentials, but for all practical purposes, Jeff Brohm was the de facto OC for WKU

I really think this could be a blessing in disguise. I was never really sold on Bajakian, but I also knew that to judge him with our line was unfair. I was waiting to see what he would do with a line that would give more than 2 seconds to throw a pass. I also can envision some very good OCs wanting to take the reins of our young and very talented team. I'm hoping for the best.

Reactions: 1 person
Beautiful concept backed by real numbers... I had to check again to make sure I was on VolNation... eerily rational and uplifting... nice op. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people

Why all the negativity?

Damn good work. Excellent post. Now let's go get somebody worthy of being at TN.

Reactions: 2 people
Great info you put together OP. That is really helpful putting things into persective. I have heard Frost wanted his next stop to be HC and not a lateral move. However coming to the SEC might look good on a resume in a few years trying to get the HC job somewhere.

One problem with "settling" for ZA is that he has been rumored for HC jobs and a good chance he would only stay for a year. This could also happen with anyone we upgrade with but a big name hire that brings some fire to our offense could have longer range positive results (much like when Majors brought in Al Saunders for a single year and the playbook he brought lasted several years)

VN Store

Back