Foxsports.com says expectations for Tennessee should be tempered for 2015

vtvol98

my $.02 as well...
They go on to write how tow of the Vols' eastern division foes (UGA and Mizzou) are due for a decline. Once again, another writer is overlooking a potentially nasty Vol defense.

Clemson, Georgia lead bowl winners that will be overrated in 2015 | FOX Sports

5. Tennessee Volunteers
Bowl result: Defeated Iowa 45-28 in the TaxSlayer Bowl.
Why we might overrate Tennessee: To be clear, Tennessee is on an upward trajectory. The Volunteers won four of their last five, the only loss by eight to Missouri, and they're a player again in SEC recruiting. It may be tempting, then, to look at Tennessee as a top-25 team or SEC East contender. The backfield of Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd will be the headline names for Tennessee, but let's pump the brakes on Tennessee until the 2014 and 2015 signing classes rebuild the offensive and defensive lines.

Everybody hates us!!!

Why oh why dont they just come to VN for all news pertaining to vols...lol

I agree with the offensive line part. The D is just fine and getting better. Hopefully the O line will take a quantum leap forward this coming year.

Reactions: 3 people
Fox Sports has less credibility than Bleacher Report.

I'm not worried at all about the DL, why do they even bring that up? Likewise, I am reasonably optimistic about the OL. Will they match the production
of the all NFL line from 2013 ....no, but they will be better, and we've got some freshmen coming in that will push for playing time. Competition will result in a
much better prepared unit on the field.

I also think a trip to Atlanta is within reach, the timing has never worked better in our favor.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with the offensive line part. The D is just fine and getting better. Hopefully the O line will take a quantum leap forward this coming year.

^You beat me to it! :hi:

Would add that Dline could end up being one of the best parts of team 119!! :rock::rock:

I must say thought that the O-line looked a lot better during the bowl game. I believe our O-line will be Okay this season.

Reactions: 1 person
The Dline is good but like the article says, rebuild. You have to have depth. We need to continue building depth.

fox sports has less credibility than bleacher report.

I'm not worried at all about the dl, why do they even bring that up? Likewise, i am reasonably optimistic about the ol. Will they match the production
of the all nfl line from 2013 ....no, but they will be better, and we've got some freshmen coming in that will push for playing time. Competition will result in a
much better prepared unit on the field.

I also think a trip to atlanta is within reach, the timing has never worked better in our favor.

+1000000

I kind of agree. I think 2016 is the year the Vols make a legitimate run at the East title. I expect (hope for) 7 or 8 wins this year plus the bowl.

I kind of agree. I think 2016 is the year the Vols make a legitimate run at the East title. I expect (hope for) 7 or 8 wins this year plus the bowl.

Tennessee will go 8-4 in 2015. I guess the jerk who wrote this article thinks Tennessee will be 6-6 again in 2015.

I don't think it's aggressive to aim for 8 wins this year, not including the bowl.

6 would be a disappointment
7 would be slight improvement, but not inspiring
8 is right about where we should finish
9 would be worth getting excited about
10+ would blow all expectations out of the water, and set up 2016 to be insane

I don't think it's aggressive to aim for 8 wins this year, not including the bowl.

6 would be a disappointment
7 would be slight improvement, but not inspiring
8 is right about where we should finish
9 would be worth getting excited about
10+ would blow all expectations out of the water, and set up 2016 to be insane

8 wins! We lose to Alabama, Oklahoma, Missouri & Florida.

We ALWAYS lose to Florida, regardless if we are at home or away or if we have more talent than them or not. We are capable of beating them but we manage to give it away to them. Missed field goal, penalty late in the game, interception, fumble, sack, missed tackle, blown pass coverage.

Unless some miracle happens, we will always lose to Alabama & Florida. Miracle = Florida or Alabama hire Dooley to be their head coach. Miracle = Florida or Alabama get on probabation.

We ALWAYS lose to Florida, regardless if we are at home or away or if we have more talent than them or not. We are capable of beating them but we manage to give it away to them. Missed field goal, penalty late in the game, interception, fumble, sack, missed tackle, blown pass coverage.

Unless some miracle happens, we will always lose to Alabama & Florida. Miracle = Florida or Alabama hire Dooley to be their head coach. Miracle = Florida or Alabama get on probabation.

With all of the attrition due to graduation and early entries into the NFL as well as a new coaching staff, Florida is due to see their string of victories against Tennessee fall this coming season. The time to strike for the Vols is now.

They go on to write how tow of the Vols' eastern division foes (UGA and Mizzou) are due for a decline. Once again, another writer is overlooking a potentially nasty Vol defense.

Clemson, Georgia lead bowl winners that will be overrated in 2015 | FOX Sports

5. Tennessee Volunteers
Bowl result: Defeated Iowa 45-28 in the TaxSlayer Bowl.
Why we might overrate Tennessee: To be clear, Tennessee is on an upward trajectory. The Volunteers won four of their last five, the only loss by eight to Missouri, and they're a player again in SEC recruiting. It may be tempting, then, to look at Tennessee as a top-25 team or SEC East contender. The backfield of Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd will be the headline names for Tennessee, but let's pump the brakes on Tennessee until the 2014 and 2015 signing classes rebuild the offensive and defensive lines.

Note to foxsports.com. Rebuilding of the DL should be completed with this recruiting class. Then it will just be a matter of reloading with future classes.

That's the spirit. I see no reason to think we will lose to Florida next year. I honestly think Missou and Ok could go our way. I don't think it's ridiculous for a fan to have faith in their team...especially when there are so many positives to choose from. If Dooley were the coach and the status quo was the way it was a few years back...sure...I would write those games off as well. Since that isn't the case...since Florida has a new coaching staff...since Florida is (possibly) coming off some of the worse years they have had in a long time...I don't think it's the height of optimism to think we will beat them this year. Quite the opposite...I think saying we never beat Florida is the height of pessimism. I call a win and if we lose I will be sorely disappointed.

Oh and missing what would be a game winning field goal against the would be National Champions Alabama at their home field a few years back with a Dooley coached team...I also don't think beating Alabama would be that big of a stretch. I seemed to think we gave them a pretty good run this year with it being Dobb's first game and all.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back