Butch's end of game philosophy...

chattavol420

Ok. Over the last couple of months I've stated on here several times how frustrated I was this year with the conservative approach relative to other coaches that are successful (like all four playoff teams). But that's another Flaming for another day. And as frustrating as it been... The recruiting ability of this staff is equally as amazing. No. This question is related to end of the game philosophy. Urban Meyer has always been one of those coaches known to pound it home even if he's winning by 100 points with 1 minute left. I remember seeing Tebow fun four consecutive times inside the final 2 minutes in this exact scenario to score one final td against us.
Is there a larger message that is being taught to the team is these instances? Butch is one of these that always takes the high road (or in this circumstance a knee). I'm not trying to be critical here but a lot of the really successful coaches do have that mentality. Pete Carroll has often been criticized for ''running up the score''. As has Harbaugh and Spurrier.
Here's another compression...bilichek and Manning have differing philosophy here. Manning will always take a knee once the contest is decided yet bilichek will not. And those two have had a bunch of meetings that usually don't go Manning' way.
Also, it's not just the very end of the game. Look at us against Iowa. We absolutely destroyed them. But around the end of the third/beginning of the fourth we totally quite trying to score. Although there was no way they were getting back in it the final score didn't represent the way the game went.
Compare that to Ohio state playing Wisconsin in the big ten championship...They never let up and ended up 59-0 to leap frog the two teams ahead of them and make the playoffs. Not trying to be critical of Butch's strategy here but there does seem to be many more examples of the ''run up the score coach'' being successful than the ''classy approach coach''.
Just curious what other think. And yes...This is a boring day off season thread.

Reactions: 4 people
I think it reflects the class of the coach. Only reason I can see to run up the score is to try to impress by a lopsided win (ala OSU this year). Otherwise running up the score is classless...always

Reactions: 22 people
I think it reflects the class of the coach. Only reason I can see to run up the score is to try to impress by a lopsided win (ala OSU this year). Otherwise running up the score is classless...always

Agree. But aren't there more classless coaches that win big than nice guys?

The vols won the game.......nuff said about that. But, since the game was over I have heard many people complain about slowing the pace and not running up the score. There was no need to embarrass Iowa. I wonder if the tables were turned and Iowa kicked the vols butts and ran up the score just how many of the complainers would be pissed cause Iowa did not slow the pace down? I have no problem with what Butch did.

Reactions: 12 people
IMO, the # of points have nothing to do with winning or not. You gave some good examples but I am willing to bet someone could give examples of successful coaches not running up the score. You play to win....Anything after is just a reflection of class.

Reactions: 3 people
The vols won the game.......nuff said about that. But, since the game was over I have heard many people complain about slowing the pace and not running up the score. There was no need to embarrass Iowa. I wonder if the tables were turned and Iowa kicked the vols butts and ran up the score just how many of the complainers would be pissed cause Iowa did not slow the pace down? I have no problem with what Butch did.

Butch also gave many backups valuable experience. Those that would complain about letting off of the gas, would be the first in line to complain about backups not being ready when the time comes.

Reactions: 19 people
You make very good points, honestly. One thing you have to remember about the OSU game is that they were playing for a playoff spot. They needed that game to look as good for them as possible and they did and it turned out well for them.

Luckily for our squad and our defense, three touchdowns a game shall be enough to be victors. Offenses won't want to play 60 mins against our nasty D.

Reactions: 2 people

I think what Urban Meyer did was what he had to do to get his team into the playoffs. Could be that winning his conference championship by 59 points instead of 14 or 17 may have helped OSU get into the playoffs over TCU. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think it's a little different circumstance when you are actually in contention for a playoff spot. They had to make a good impression on the playoff committee in the championship game to even have a chance at getting in and I think the entire country said "WOW" when they saw that score with a 3rd string QB. We haven't been in a position until the bowl game to make a national statement and I think ppl did take notice of us. We had one of the more dominating performances of the bowl season and everyone is starting to give us attention. I think you will see things change once we start competing at an elite level. I have faith in what Butch is doing. We will be fine. :good!:

The end of game philosophy is to win. Remember the end of the Florida game? There is no quit in this team. Butch has class! Go Vols!!

Ok. Over the last couple of months I've stated on here several times how frustrated I was this year with the conservative approach relative to other coaches that are successful (like all four playoff teams). But that's another Flaming for another day. And as frustrating as it been... The recruiting ability of this staff is equally as amazing. No. This question is related to end of the game philosophy. Urban Meyer has always been one of those coaches known to pound it home even if he's winning by 100 points with 1 minute left. I remember seeing Tebow fun four consecutive times inside the final 2 minutes in this exact scenario to score one final td against us.
Is there a larger message that is being taught to the team is these instances? Butch is one of these that always takes the high road (or in this circumstance a knee). I'm not trying to be critical here but a lot of the really successful coaches do have that mentality. Pete Carroll has often been criticized for ''running up the score''. As has Harbaugh and Spurrier.
Here's another compression...bilichek and Manning have differing philosophy here. Manning will always take a knee once the contest is decided yet bilichek will not. And those two have had a bunch of meetings that usually don't go Manning' way.
Also, it's not just the very end of the game. Look at us against Iowa. We absolutely destroyed them. But around the end of the third/beginning of the fourth we totally quite trying to score. Although there was no way they were getting back in it the final score didn't represent the way the game went.
Compare that to Ohio state playing Wisconsin in the big ten championship...They never let up and ended up 59-0 to leap frog the two teams ahead of them and make the playoffs. Not trying to be critical of Butch's strategy here but there does seem to be many more examples of the ''run up the score coach'' being successful than the ''classy approach coach''.
Just curious what other think. And yes...This is a boring day off season thread.
I always say that its not a coaches job to stop his offense, but the opposing defense. I don't like embarrassing teams ,I don't like them scoring either. Its a slippery slope, I think we the opposing team concedes thats when you let up.

Last edited:

Exactly. I'll be happy with a win no matter what the score. No need to rub another team's nose in it. Win but do it with class and honor. It's a game with kids, coaches, fans and families on the other side. Doubt the OP would like being on the receiving end of a royal beat down. Still just counts as a single win by 1 or 100. I'm glad we've got a man like Butch running things instead of some arse who likes to humiliate the teams he plays.

You twice stated you were not trying to be critical then, of course, you were critical(as usual).

I pray to GOD we don't have to listen to your whining for the next 9 months.:thud:

Reactions: 15 people
Agreed :good!:

One announcer even questioned Dobbs still being in, The other quickly pointed out how few starts Dobbs actually had. Trying to balance risks v additional snaps for him, had to be the toughest decision.

I think what Urban Meyer did was what he had to do to get his team into the playoffs. Could be that winning his conference championship by 59 points instead of 14 or 17 may have helped OSU get into the playoffs over TCU. JMO

Yes no question urban had a reason for running the score up against Wisconsin but not against Oregon. And he has a looooooong history or running the score up. Hes done it against us a few times. Just curious if part of his success is creating an atmosphere of scoring every time they touch the ball... Regardless of the circumstance

I wouldn't call it classless. Maybe some coaches are just more aggressive. After all, It is the other teams job to stop their offense

I don't think we ever tried to stop scoring. We played many back-ups and got the opportunity for them to work on fundamentals. If you are up by 20+ points in the 4th quarter, you can work on different things that you need to in order to make your team better, and I'm sure the coaches still expect the players to play with 100% effort. I highly doubt the coaches told them "don't score."

OSU could not have run the clock out by taking knees if Oregon decided to use their remaining timeouts. They weren't going to just hand them the ball in a two-score game. It'd be highly unlikely, but that would have put the Ducks one play away from trying an onside kick in a one-score game, and then it's suddenly a little in doubt again. Rather than take knees until 4th and then kick, they just scored a TD.

Yes no question urban had a reason for running the score up against Wisconsin but not against Oregon. And he has a looooooong history or running the score up. Hes done it against us a few times. Just curious if part of his success is creating an atmosphere of scoring every time they touch the ball... Regardless of the circumstance
What Ohio State did at the end of the Oregon game was classless. They should have taken a knee. What ranking would they have gotten without the last 7 points?

That last score did nothing to accomplish the objective of being the Nat'l Champ. Meyer's payback will come some day.

1) playing backups gives them valuable experience
2) it lessens the chance of a starter getting injured during meaningless snaps
3) being classy is Tennessee tradition

Reactions: 3 people

I wish Tenn had the same problem. You are on the field to run the play and to run the play to your best ability. If you score 60, then so be it. Do you really believe the selection committee when they say we don't look at margin of victory? No way. Keep the pedal down especially in big games. Who really feels sorry for overrated Oregon who had continually gone for 2-point conversions when up by more than 4 TD's. They deserved to be taken to the woodshed. GBO.

I don't care about running up the score in a competition played by a bunch of men, although I know that is a contested opinion.

I do however have a problem with risking player injury when a game is well in hand. I'd be taking a knee in those situations to keep my players healthy.

Wilbon said it best on PTI the other day in reference to Urban scoring that last TD. He said in the NFL you can get someone killed on any given play, so running useless, unnecessary plays becomes dangerous.

So yeah, I don't care so much about people's feelings and pride, it is more a health thing in my mind

VN Store

Back