Neyland Stadium Throwback

Coug

Wow!

neyland.jpg

Reactions: 46 people
I started school in the fall of 66,Reese hall and the courtyard were brand new and the north end of Neyland looked similar.The main difference was beside the flagpole was a large(30-40)feet.When it would rain,you could slide down it.Also, there was a cannon beside the UT,that would be fired by the rotc guys whenever Tennessee scored.

Reactions: 22 people
I started school in the fall of 66,Reese hall and the courtyard were brand new and the north end of Neyland looked similar.The main difference was beside the flagpole was a large(30-40)feet.When it would rain,you could slide down it.Also, there was a cannon beside the UT,that would be fired by the rotc guys whenever Tennessee scored.

Real VFL^^...like 6 or 7 decade Vol fan. Awesome.

Reactions: 11 people
I like the permanent scoreboard reference to "VISITORS", but disappointed that so many fans have left when there's still lots of time left in the 4th quarter.

I like the permanent scoreboard reference to "VISITORS", but disappointed that so many fans have left when there's still lots of time left in the 4th quarter.

The picture looks like it's before North/South stands, but even then that's from 1930s to 1940s, which was generally characterized by shutouts. Hell, I'm surprised the visitor scored...

That could have been around 1960. The scoreboard says Shields Watkins Field

Edit: I was close...that was from the 1959 Miss. State game which UT won 22-6. Miss. State was known as the Maroons back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Before the bowl was closed in, I can remember seeing people sitting on the hill to watch the games. Saved buying a ticket.

There would a hundred or more sometimes!

Reactions: 2 people

I started UT in 1968 and remember that scene well, including the cannon. If that was from 1959 I remember that season well too. My first Vol game that I attended was at Legion Field in Birmingham. Vols won 14-0 and my Dad carried me out of the stadium on his shoulders. I was 7. What memories.

Reactions: 7 people
That big ole concrete interlocking UT was cool. I wish they could have kept it when they enclosed the lower deck in 1980! Saw my 1st game in Neyland Stadium in 1971. My dad took me. We beat California-Santa Barbara 48-6. Great memories!

VN Store

Back