Didn't we have a policy that freshman...

OuterBanksVol

...were not allowed to speak with the media? Whose policy was this our school's or someone else's? And when did this change and did the athletic department make any sort of formal statement about this policy shift?

Any thoughts on this? Good / bad?

Been thinking this as well. I definitely remember hearing that in 2013.. But we are seeing more and more true freshman speaking with the media. I guess if we are talking about a playmaker true freshman than I'm good with it.

If my memory serves me correctly, this was Dooley's policy. Since coach Jones has been the man, he has allowed freshman to talk to the media. It gives players a sense of trust from the coaches.

I think it's a good thing. If guys are mature enough to represent UT, by all means give them the opportunity to speak. It also gives the fans an opportunity to learn more about the player. It could be a recruiting tool that says we are recruiting smart articulate guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Butch's 1st year he also had that policy in place.

Last year it was pointless to do that because he would be cutting too many relevant players off from the media.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like I remember Butch saying if these guys were going to contribute early then they have the right to talk to the media.

It might be used before National Signing Day to sway any "fence sitters"?

Reactions: 2 people
Even under Dooley this was relaxed by midseason for starters. Butch did follow it his first year here, but I was quite surprised to see freshmen talking pre-season this past year. I don't think it's a problem, until the first time it becomes one. Hopefully under the current staff that won't be an issue.

Yeah I remember Butch saying they would have to earn it. I don't think this round really counts though. They've done a little preview of the EE's the last few years at least

I think for the first time in a long time we have a group that is way ahead on the maturity for their age.

...were not allowed to speak with the media? Whose policy was this our school's or someone else's? And when did this change and did the athletic department make any sort of formal statement about this policy shift?

Any thoughts on this? Good / bad?

That was Dooley's policy. Each coach/sport gets to make their own, freshmen in men's and women's basketball and other sports have always talked to the media.

Jones allowed freshman that played to speak to the media in 2013, including Dobbs and North.

Lats season, the mid-term newcomers spoke during spring practice, the legacy freshman during the summer and every freshman that played talked after practices and games in the fall.

This is welcome, but it's nothing new.

I thought this used to be an SEC policy. But that was quite some time ago.

CBJ is marketing the program. He and the PR staff have done an amazing job of using the regular media and social media to promote the Vol brand. They are selling the brand to not only the fans, but also to $$ boosters and recruits. I was really impressed how they used the bowl game, the buildup to the bowl game, and post-game hype to market the program. I'm a little concerned about the ticket price increase. Income is still tight for most of us fans so that needs to be handled carefully.

We have lots of 4* and 5* players that have names that are known now and the press will get to them eventually anyway.

I would guess that buTch has all of them coached up on what to say and not to say to the press so they're well prepared before the press can get to them.

We have lots of good football players coming in but we also have lots of smart, articulate young men coming in too and we can't hide them forever so teach them how to handle the press and trust them to stick to the guidelines set out for them.

I think this is a good thing for several reasons and they seem to be handling it well so far.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

Right now it's a recruiting tool IMO. He's letting them share their experiences and speak about how much they love being at UT, especially the EEs to give other recruits the idea they'd be at home with us. Maybe even to try and sway a couple big time last minute flips in this class.

It certainly helps when all the young men are articulate as this group of EEs are. Given social media and the exposure these young men have already received during high school, I suspect many of them have had much more practice at speaking with the media than we might think. Many have already had been interviewed many times where they live as well as being interviewed by more regional or national media persons at all-star games and high profile camps. And why not use it as a recruiting tool? Very few universities have the number of EEs as does Tennessee. The Vols have ten compelling stories out on the Internet three weeks prior to National Signing Day.

VN Store

Back