Pet Peeves for 2014 Season

coffeevol

regular old member
I was very satisfied with the way we ended on a high note and I think we are headed the right direction. However the ONE thing that drove me crazier than anything else that went wrong was short yardage situations in which we would line up with Hurd off to the left or right of the QB 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage for a 3rd&1 or 4th&1 call. Do we not have a true QB sneak or dive play in the I-formation.

So what drove you crazy this year....on to a better 2015.:rock:

Reactions: 1 person
The loss to FL was a pet peeve and nearly a "Soul Crusher"!

The bowl win made up for alot though! :rock:

Reactions: 3 people
QB sneak is the worst play in football

What drove me crazy is how none of our 100,000 offensive coordinators could agree on whats right

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
throwing passes behind the line of scrimmage so that our players get hurt and we lose yardage.

Reactions: 4 people
I wasn't a fan of playcalling while Worley was in.
It's been mentioned often but it does seem it could have been adjusted to the players just a bit more.

Reactions: 3 people
I was very satisfied with the way we ended on a high note and I think we are headed the right direction. However the ONE thing that drove me crazier than anything else that went wrong was short yardage situations in which we would line up with Hurd off to the left or right of the QB 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage for a 3rd&1 or 4th&1 call. Do we not have a true QB sneak or dive play in the I-formation.

Yeah, all the shotgun plays on 3rd or 4th and short are probably the most annoying thing. Same with Oregon in the NC game. It doesn't seem to work reliably and I just don't get the logic behind it.

But, I'll add pretty much every jet sweep we ran against any decently fast defense.

Hard to do that with a patchwork OL and no true fullback. Our OL was not up to par with our competition's DL. We were simply dominated in the trenches. Nothing to complain about but inexperience and injuries which cannot be fixed in an instant

Florida game as a whole. BFS offsides call against Mizzou. Dropped passes, no offense but a lot by Malone. Running the ball too often with Marlin Lane. That's it I guess.

Florida game as a whole. BFS offsides call against Mizzou. Dropped passes, no offense but a lot by Malone. Running the ball too often with Marlin Lane. That's it I guess.

Shouldn't that be MarVin Lane, as the announcer calls him each and every game, even after 4 seasons.

Hard to do that with a patchwork OL and no true fullback. Our OL was not up to par with our competition's DL. We were simply dominated in the trenches. Nothing to complain about but inexperience and injuries which cannot be fixed in an instant

Except that we weren't really good at picking up 3rd and short plays in 2013 when we had a veteran line either.

Every VN HC who in hindsight, after the play or game was over, could have called a better play than what the OC, or DC as the case maybe, called. I will venture a bet that our coaches could do better if they knew the outcome before the made their calls.

Games and all this year do not bother me because we ended up right where I expected us too. I saw what I wanted, which was fighting till the end, getting better as the season progressed and learning how to win and put away an opponent. Yes at times I did get frustrated like everyone, but the overall product on the field was better and IMO will continue to improve. So not to much to grip about. GO GOLS BEAT EVERYBODY.

Reactions: 5 people

Exactly. If we line up in the I on 3rd and 1 we are basically telling the defense what we are doing. Our OL was not good enough to get everybody blocked and get a push.

I wish they would run out of the pistol set.

Shouldn't that be MarVin Lane, as the announcer calls him each and every game, even after 4 seasons.

Dont forget his twin brother Rajion Lane, who saw quite a bit of PT for us last year.

Except that we weren't really good at picking up 3rd and short plays in 2013 when we had a veteran line either.

Different scenario, we didnt have a stud RB at that time and would throw quick slants and drags on 3rd and short. Id venture to guess that they wanted our Freshman RB to get a nice easy handoff in the shotgun rather than risk a miscue while running full speed into the gap (e.g. endzone fumble against UGA). Plus the zone read was much more dangerous for us than a simple I-formation dive. JMO

Last edited:
Different scenario, we didnt have a stud RB at that time and would throw quick slants and drags on 3rd and short. Id venture to guess that they wanted our Freshman RB to get a nice easy handoff in the shotgun rather than risk a miscue while running full speed into the gap (e.g. endzone fumble against UGA). Plus the zone read was much more dangerous for us than a simple I-formation dive. JMO

Plenty of freshmen run out of the I.

Honestly, I think it's the system and we will continue to do it. I see other teams doing too. I just don't understand the logic behind it as it doesn't seem to be particularly effective in critical short yardage situations.

VN Store

Back