Should Peyton call it quits?

Should Peyton Manning call it quits?

• Total voters

tennesseekilt

This poll is assuming his recent poor performance was mostly injury-related, which given recent news seems to be the case.

Personally, I know Denver is unlikely to win a championship but I'd like to see Manning go ahead and break the yardage and completions records before he rides off into the sunset. I know he doesn't really have to prove anything else to anyone, but he's come so close - would be a shame to not go ahead and snag those and put them firmly out of reach of Brady or Brees. But, I probably care more about that stuff than he does!

Reactions: 1 person
This wont be popular with yall but I think its time for him to hang it up. Nothing left to prove.

Good reasons to quit now:

Health
Family
Super Bowl Ring
Legend status
Nationwide
Papa Johns
Buick
and endless coaching job offers.

He watched Favre mishandle his legacy. Peyton is smarter than that.

Reactions: 10 people
His injury lends to me saying he needs to retire. Time to hang the cleats up with honor and dignity and go into Canton on the first ballot.

He should hang up the spurs before father time takes more of a toll on his physical abilities. He'd probably make a good quarterbacks coach for some university with future playoff aspirations. Let me see now, who might that be...

Only Peyton knows what he has left in the tank. I have to believe that a coaching change will probably not favor him returning but ultimately it's up to him.

It is nearing time for Peyton to go, but his decision should not be based on Sunday's game. No QB is good enough to throw to receivers who cannot get off the line of scrimmage, with 1/2 second to get rid of the ball.

It is nearing time for Peyton to go, but his decision should not be based on Sunday's game. No QB is good enough to throw to receivers who cannot get off the line of scrimmage, with 1/2 second to get rid of the ball.

While I agree that his receivers weren't doing him many favors, I think it's obvious that Peyton won't be able to stand up to NFL punishment much longer, and his arm strength is dwindling. He's been able to make up for both in the last few years due to his superior anticipation and knowledge of defenses, but that only gets you so far. There has to be some physical ability to get the ball into all types of spots on the field to stretch the defense, and I don't see that with Peyton anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
Peyton will handle this like he does everything else, with class. He's a wealthy man and has accomplished all he can accomplish at his position. HOF bound.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't like when elite athletes try to stretch out their careers (Jordan, Farve). Why can't they end this on a high note? I will chalk it up to a competitive spirit that tells the body.........we can still do this.

Love ya Peyton, but UT has a QB Coaching Position for you whenver you want it.

Go Vols!!

Peyton is a big boy & doesn't need self-styled experts to advise him (except for maybe his doctor). He went against the grain when he chose to return to TENNESSEE for his senior season & he will make the correct decision about his future.

Reactions: 8 people
I know he's beyond rich, but it's still financially irresponsible to leave over $30mil on the table if he is still physically able to play even near the level of this season.

I think if he wanted to retire, he already would have. I also think that due to his competitive nature, he will have to be dragged off the field, possibly on a stretcher, or cut from a team like Montana or Aikman was.

The fact that he was playing with a torn quadhas a lot to do with his lack of arm strength. Torn quads heal. Now next year it may be somthing else. Only Peyton knows what his own durability likely is.

This wont be popular with yall but I think its time for him to hang it up. Nothing left to prove.

Good reasons to quit now:

Health
Family
Super Bowl Ring
Legend status
Nationwide
Papa Johns
Buick
and endless coaching job offers.

He watched Favre mishandle his legacy. Peyton is smarter than that.

I agree

It might not be 100% Peyton's decision. He's only guaranteed $5M of around $19M, so the Broncos could decide to save $14-$15M and let the new staff start fresh with Osweiler. They'll need cap room with so many key contracts (Thomas and Thomas, Knight, etc.) up this year. If Elway had named Gase HC, Peyton might have given it one more run; with Gase going, Peyton could go, too.

It might not be 100% Peyton's decision. He's only guaranteed $5M of around $19M, so the Broncos could decide to save $14-$15M and let the new staff start fresh with Osweiler. They'll need cap room with so many key contracts (Thomas and Thomas, Knight, etc.) up this year. If Elway had named Gase HC, Peyton might have given it one more run; with Gase going, Peyton could go, too.

This guy gets it. I'd say if Peyton wants to play, he'll play. It just may not be with Denver.

He's not done. The man had an injury. Still took his team to the divisional round of the playoffs. Come play for the Titans Peyton!!! Save this sinking ship!!!

Peyton will be successful in whatever endeavor he chooses. However, he won't ever coach in college (sorry to burst some bubbles). He has his eye on being in a position like Elway as a GM/Team President in the NFL. I could see him possible accepting an AD position at TN, but not coaching.

Of all the TN players we have ever produced without a doubt Peyton Manning is the smartest and most grounded with regards to football and evaluation of his options.

The only person that can answer if Peyton should keep playing is Peyton. When he was injured last time with the neck there was a huge calling that he should consider retirement then. And then he came back and let it rip again.

I'm not saying he should retire or he shouldn't. I just trust that he's experienced and well grounded enough that he will make an honest evaluation of where he is at in the off season and will exit that evaluation with a solid assessment of whether he thinks he can still contribute or not. If he thinks he can still contribute AND he still wants to play, then play. If not, ride off in the sunset with his legacy in tact.

I do not see Peyton Manning "staying around too long" as a player but I do see him being in football, both collegiate and professional, for a very very VERY long time to come.

Reactions: 5 people
He's not done. The man had an injury. Still took his team to the divisional round of the playoffs. Come play for the Titans Peyton!!! Save this sinking ship!!!

Peyton has suffered a multitude of injuries...& you want him to commit suicide by joining the Titans?! :crazy:

Reactions: 6 people
Why would what I think (based on rumors and 2nd hand reports) have anything to do with reality? It is NOT my decision and I am confident that the Manning family has resources to make a proper evaluation.

VN Store

Back